What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nowhere else to write this so I'll write it here:

Over the past week or two I've really started admiring the Ford E-series. I think it's become my favorite "American" vehicle. I have no use for a van, much less a full-size van, so I'm sure I'll never own one, but man those things just make me smile. Clean lines, no posturing/trying to look tough or angry, nothing unnecessary or ridiculous on them, and they have at least the appearance of form following function pretty much exactly. I also really love how long the generations are, with nothing much changing from year to year or even decade to decade. Simple, utilitarian, versatile, and for an American vehicle, reliable and dependable!

I used to drive one as a work vehicle too, but it wasn't for that long, just a few months I think. Still, no complaints.

Maybe one day if I retire and want to be one of those RV people I'll find one based on an E-series platform.
I'll never buy another Ford... But they are redefining "Tough"

Here's my spicy take for the day: graduation ceremonies are stupid and pointless. We can add the adjectives "needlessly expensive" to that as well. "Pollutive" too it seems. All schools should stop doing them. Finish your classes, take your tests, get your diploma in the mail or pick it up from the office (if you even really need it), then move on with your life like I always did even in high school.
I agree. I remember when I finished college and the assistant dean was telling me the graduation ceremony would be in another town & it would cost X amount for the cap & gown and I said "Can't you just mail me my diploma?" He affirmed that they could. He seemed surprised that I wasn't interested in going. I told him it was a waste of gas & $ to go when all I wanted was my degree and to be done with it. I got the graduation experience with high school (which was a much better school than that college).

I've been keeping my e-mail inbox pretty clean. Only keeping a couple of messages in it that have links.

Went down to the workshop and painted the trim. Waiting for it to dry and will see how it turns out. I still have to cut stuff and do touch-ups. Mom is up so I expect she'll want food soon. Not sure if we have lobster bisque left, but I'm sure she'll want shrimp scampi. Also going to see if she wants mac & cheese. She likes the Bob Evans brand stuff.

I brought my Mom to my graduation at UTK to show her the result of her putting up with me and my transgressions all those years. It made her day so it was worthwhile to me. I don't always just think of myself (I've had my moments).

Last edited:
I don't always just think of myself.
My mom didn't care about the ceremony when I graduated high school, she was just happy I graduated. I doubt she'd have attended even if I'd walked, she was hardly ever around.

Then I moved out on my own that same summer, to the other side of the country in fact, and I paid/borrowed my own way out there and through whatever I did after that. When I graduated college it wasn't because anyone had put up with me.

So, if it sounds like I was just thinking of myself it's because I didn't have my parents doing any of that for me. It's a positive thing too: it taught me that what's important is not the culmination of school but being able after you're done with school to go on and use whatever school gave you to be more of an independent human being. The graduation ceremony is totally unimportant. It's sad that so much is wasted on it and especially when costs are externalized.

Are you going to look it up already?
You know I'm not! 😆

My graduation post was not meant to be a criticism. It was just a special moment for my Mom · · · and a tribute to her devotion. From that respect, priceless.

Good Morning People...
F&^K off Rust Disease
Fix or Repair Daily...
Found on Road Dead...

Heard them all, but I still love my Ford Pickup, especially yesterday at the memorial service where I parked my truck in the centre of 72 Chrysler Products, and was told by many how good my truck looked... But there was ONE very impressive Chrysler there, and that was my Brother in Laws Father one of many toys was a 73 Duster in mint condition, with only 1000 miles on her... Beautiful car...

Anyways, not a lot to report from yesterday, went to the gym and memorial service, and got home at about 11 last night, especially after Lorie said, you can drink tonight... that she will drive home... LoL...

And all I am doing today is going to pick up a truckload of aluminum for scrapping...

Have a GREAT Saturday everyone, and also looking to watch the final playoff... starting tonight... Florida and Vegas... Hoping Florida wins it...

On that note... Have a GREAT one kids...
Cheers~

I'm having a day that made me wish I hadn't bothered getting out of bed. Went to open a can of corned beef hash. Can opener wasn't cutting. Ran it through 20x. Can't even find the blade on that thing. I tell Mom the can opener is broken. She decides to order a new one. I tell her to get the exact same one to simplify things. For the next 10min she kept agreeing to and then arguing & then asking my opinion again after I told her repeatedly to just order the same one again and not the other one that had worse reviews.

Then Mom started muttering something about bread and asked me questions about the toaster- does it still work, etc. I said I didn't know. A few moments later she starts yelling at me for not getting up and making her toast when she never asked me to. Apparently I was supposed to read her effing mind and know that her inquiries about the toaster and mumbling about bread meant she wanted me to make her toast right then. So, I go in search of the toaster and find it on the floor underneath a box. I clean it up, plug it in, and try to use it. Left side won't stay down. Right side is dead. I take the bread out and chuck the toaster in the trash. I tell Mom the toaster is broken. She has a snit. I then try the air fryer. As I opened the door I hear a sproing noise and the door practically falls open and now will not close and stay closed. It keeps falling open and won't shut tight. Ugh. So, I take the bread out, put it back on the plate, go & explain to Mom that the toaster AND air fryer are broken. She takes the plate, puts her hand on the bread and screams at me "IT'S NOT EVEN WARM!" and I yell back at her "I TOLD YOU THE TOASTER AND AIR FRYER ARE *BROKEN*!" She has a fit about me being useless as if I personally am responsible for things breaking. ugh.

I tried to get her to find the warranty info on the toaster so I can call them and see about getting a replacement, but she won't take off her goddamn headphones and stop watching Youtube long enough to listen. Sorry. I'm frustrated. I can feel veins popping in my forehead.

I still have a curbside order to pick up. I know there is another toaster in a box somewhere (I think still in a box) and I can't find it anywhere. I searched all over the house. Pantry, kitchen, front room, living room, closets-- anywhere it could reasonably be... When I'm not so ticked off I'll resume looking but I'm going to break something with the mood I'm in.

TL: DR? My air fryer, toaster, and can opener all broke & Mom screamed at me for not reading her mind.

I use a mechanical, manuel, can opener and my moms 1949 TOASTMASTER TOASTER & her 1949 KIRBY VACUM CLEANER, were still being repaired & used, in 2012.

Because you say it like that, I know you looked it up!
I truly did not but let's just say that considering the industry I work in I'm sure I'd have found out eventually.

I use what they call a safety can opener. It never slips or goes dull or needs any form of maintenance, and the lids come off perfectly cleanly with a cut all the way around. Mine has a funny little "beak" on it that you can use to lift up the lid when you're done opening the can. I mostly use the beak part as a puppet to do funny voices.

I truly did not but let's just say that considering the industry I work in I'm sure I'd have found out eventually.

I use what they call a safety can opener. It never slips or goes dull or needs any form of maintenance, and the lids come off perfectly cleanly with a cut all the way around. Mine has a funny little "beak" on it that you can use to lift up the lid when you're done opening the can. I mostly use the beak part as a puppet to do funny voices.

What industry? What would you have "found out" in past tense, leading to the indication that you know without looking it up? Shouldn't it be "I'm sure I'll find out eventually"?

I have only used the can opener Eddie pictured my whole life except for the Army throw away ones that aren't worth mentioning to civilians.

I like the idea of being able to reuse the lid as a temporary closure with a safety opener.
It looks like someone has made a P-38 on steroids.

1685811863084.png

Latest posts

Back