What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I'm making fun of it. The entire Electric Car "Industry" is a joke. It isn't one thing that isn't currently working... It's every single component that doesn't work. On top of the parts that don't functionally operate like they would if it were even 1/4 perfect, almost all of it directly violates the code of the "greenies" and what they constantly preach about...

Yes, I'm making fun of it. The entire Electric Car "Industry" is a joke. It isn't one thing that isn't currently working... It's every single component that doesn't work. On top of the parts that don't functionally operate like they would if it were even 1/4 perfect, almost all of it directly violates the code of the "greenies" and what they constantly preach about...
Do you think there are similarities to the fledgling auto industry in the early 1900's? I mean horse traders and buggy makers probably thought cars were a stupid novelty destin for failure. Early cars weren't very reliable. If you broke down along the way on a trip of much distance you probably couldn't get parts. You would have to fabricate something yourself or take a horse. I assume gas stations were nearly nonexistent so if you want to travel much distance you had to carry extra fuel yourself. Not very practical.

My point is the complaints and criticisms of the fledgling EV industry assume nothing will change, resources won't develop, and technologies won't improve. None of which are true. In 1910 nobody was going to build a gas station and go into business but by 1930 they were popping up all over because people learned you could capitalize on the opportunity to make money. Why would the EV be any different? In 20 years the EV industry and in fact our energy systems will probably look quite different. I still think hydrogen will be a much bigger player in the future. Now it's too expensive to produce but that may well change much as solar and wind production has in the last 20 - 25 years.

You have to start somewhere and as you say some of the development flys in the face of what the "greenies" want and say. But as the saying goes, you have to break a few eggs to make an omlet. My biggest concern is balancing between encouraging the growth in more environmentally sound energy and pushing it too aggressively causing undue harm.

I'm making fun of it because it's not sustainable RIGHT NOW BEFORE THE PLANET EXPLODES from fossil fuel use, which is something that comes from the Earth, but to the greenies, it's dangerous... It's like Oil is from another Planet and has invaded us the way they preach.

There is no such thing as "Climate Change", the artist formerly known as "Global Warming", unless God says so.

I would be all for EV if it worked and was sustainable, but it's only for the rich now, as the batteries alone cost more than most normal cars do. That's just one aspect of it. We are currently in the Wright Brothers phase, and it won't be much better by 2035 when CA has mandated all cars must be EV...

"DANGEROUS CO2"... Even though dangerous CO2 has been emitted from wells around the Earth since the beginning of time, enough CO2 to kill you if you don't have Scuba gear. One such well is called the "Gateway To Hell" in Turkey... The ancients in 200BC or earlier thought it was Satan killing people and animals that wandered too close, but it was CO2.

The Global temp hasn't gone up a degree since Jesus walked, so I'm not making fun of the tech, I'm making fun of those with barely enough brain power to hold their signs saying the Earth is going to explode... Because of the actions of tiny flea humans. Okay.

I am not into electric cars, but yesterday I decided to go out and purchase a new 2024 Lexus RX 350 Hybrid. it gets 34-37 MPG and uses regeneration charging rather than plug in charging. I can still go on a long trip, get gas but around town it runs on electricity for the most part.

Now I have a 2018 Cadillac XT5 with 22,000 miles I need to offload cheap.

I'm making fun of it because it's not sustainable RIGHT NOW BEFORE THE PLANET EXPLODES from fossil fuel use, which is something that comes from the Earth, but to the greenies, it's dangerous... It's like Oil is from another Planet and has invaded us the way they preach.

There is no such thing as "Climate Change", the artist formerly known as "Global Warming", unless God says so.

I would be all for EV if it worked and was sustainable, but it's only for the rich now, as the batteries alone cost more than most normal cars do. That's just one aspect of it. We are currently in the Wright Brothers phase, and it won't be much better by 2035 when CA has mandated all cars must be EV...

"DANGEROUS CO2"... Even though dangerous CO2 has been emitted from wells around the Earth since the beginning of time, enough CO2 to kill you if you don't have Scuba gear. One such well is called the "Gateway To Hell" in Turkey... The ancients in 200BC or earlier thought it was Satan killing people and animals that wandered too close, but it was CO2.

The Global temp hasn't gone up a degree since Jesus walked, so I'm not making fun of the tech, I'm making fun of those with barely enough brain power to hold their signs saying the Earth is going to explode... Because of the actions of tiny flea humans. Okay.
Gotcha. The whole climate change debate has many facets but it seems obvious to me that something is changing. That said I remember when I was a kid we were going into the next ice age. People in low costal areas will definitely tell you something is changing. I do think you underestimate the impact 5 billion people have on the planet. Our activities release exponentially greater amounts of CO2 than naturally occurring sources. Oil production releases a lot of methane which is far worse than CO2. Yes the oil is naturally occurring but without us it would be safely sequestered far below ground. Once we bring it up that all changes. Back in 2000 I did a lot of research and wrote a detailed report to the effect that global warming was not a human induced thing. In the ensuing 20+ years my opinion, and it is an opinion, has changed significantly. It's a complex issue that everyone wants to simplify.

I am not into electric cars, but yesterday I decided to go out and purchase a new 2024 Lexus RX 350 Hybrid. it gets 34-37 MPG and uses regeneration charging rather than plug in charging. I can still go on a long trip, get gas but around town it runs on electricity for the most part.

Haha, cheap being a relative term I assume. Out of curiosity we're you happy with the caddy?

When I was a small child, we lived in Laguna Beach, Ca. well 62 years later, I can still go down to the same tidepools I played in as a young kid of 6 years old, and the ocean level has not dropped or gained even a quarter of an inch.

$1 you cart.

Haha, cheap being a relative term I assume. Out of curiosity we're you happy with the caddy?
Yes, i love the Cad, one of the most comfortable rides I've ever had. The Lexus has every bell and whistle, including intuitive driving. Once I get the hang of it, it will allow me to do some relaxing driving.

Can you switch modes or does it use gas whenever it wants to? Did you figure out how much the battery pack replacement cost is?

Can you switch modes or does it use gas whenever it wants to? Did you figure out how much the battery pack replacement cost is?
Yes, there are 3 modes. One is Eco Mode, another is comfort mode, and the last mode is sport mode. With the Sport Mode, the electric is turned off, the steering tightens, and the suspensions gets tighter. I believe I just have one of those new lithium batteries in it, but I may be wrong. I just got it home, got it to open my garage door, and found how to drop my media stick to listen to my favorite music. I'm done for now.

The USA is hellbent on saving the world from pollution but in India , China and Russia they pollute like no tomorrow. We clean up our air and it blows their way and in return we get their polluted air.

Yes, there are 3 modes. One is Eco Mode, another is comfort mode, and the last mode is sport mode. With the Sport Mode, the electric is turned off, the steering tightens, and the suspensions gets tighter. I believe I just have one of those new lithium batteries in it, but I may be wrong. I just got it home, got it to open my garage door, and found how to drop my media stick to listen to my favorite music. I'm done for now.
RX 350h (AWD)

A hybrid motor coupled with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson-cycle gasoline engine with 246 total system horsepower and 233 lb.-ft. of torque is teamed with a high-output, low-resistance nickel-metal hydride battery that offers a high level of output and fuel economy. The 216-cell battery is located below the rear seat, thus enabling passenger comfort and providing storage capacity. RX HEV can be equipped with E-Four, Lexus’ innovative all-wheel drive system which places a motor at the rear axle for near-instantaneous drive force application in low-grip or acceleration scenarios.

The 450 has Lithium

RX 350h (AWD)

A hybrid motor coupled with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder Atkinson-cycle gasoline engine with 246 total system horsepower and 233 lb.-ft. of torque is teamed with a high-output, low-resistance nickel-metal hydride battery that offers a high level of output and fuel economy. The 216-cell battery is located below the rear seat, thus enabling passenger comfort and providing storage capacity. RX HEV can be equipped with E-Four, Lexus’ innovative all-wheel drive system which places a motor at the rear axle for near-instantaneous drive force application in low-grip or acceleration scenarios.

The 450 has Lithium
That's the cool part about electric power, instant when you hit the peddle. With the weight I bet it accelerates great.

So, I've been putzing in the car today, and just went into the back seat, looking for the rear seat slider, which my old Lexus had. This new car doesn't have it, but did see three compartments under the seat that can be unscrewed. I was thinking this would be a great hiding place for tools, blankets etc, but with what you posted, I now know inside is a battery or batteries. I did read the warranty for these batteries is 15 years. I also found a button on the center console for pure electric driving, but as soon as you hit 26 mph, it shuts down and converts to gas/electric combo. I'm still learning. Another quirky note is the car is full of AI. If the AI sees you looking from side to side, it sends you a warning to pay attention. There is also a camera in the back seat, so if AI sees nobody in the backseat, it won't turn on the A/C to the back seat.

I've been working on painting the enormous porch. What we call the west end is 75% done. The esat end is the same size connected by a walkway about 5' wide. The west end is the end that gets the weather so it was in the worst shape. It took quit a bit or prep. I wanted to get it all done before winter but that's not looking likely. Total area is better than 1000 sf. Was pretty hot the last few days, almost 90 yesterday upper 80's today. It faces south so it gets a lot of sun. Latex paint drys pretty fast when it's hot. Supposed to cool off though.

Another quirky note is the car is full of AI. If the AI sees you looking from side to side, it sends you a warning to pay attention. There is also a camera in the back seat, so if AI sees nobody in the backseat, it won't turn on the A/C to the back seat.
HAHAHA... NOPE... That would be an instant no go for me. That isn't creepy or annoying or anything. I would find a way to disable it, but I bet they tied the fuse to the brake lights or something.

Yeah, using the computer screen, it is easy to disable, which I did. This happened during my test drive, when I passed a unoccupied crosswalk, and it slowed down on me, because the AI thought I should pay closer attention to said crosswalk.

If I ever got a vehicle like that, first thing I'd disable would be the AI. It would probably freak out going down my road. LOL.

Went out this morning & there were 5 deer in the front yard. Unfortunately, Princess saw them and chased them. I discovered they can jump over the fence like its nothing.

Went to the grocery store with my brother. He helped with loading stuff up and then bringing in groceries.

Cooked for Mom and am trying to earn enough points on Mistplay to get a gift card. I need something like 1100 more points but its going slow. My new processor arrived but I still need a new power supply unit. Got one in my cart but mom said to wait until fall Prime day on Oct 10 to see if it goes on sale or gets some sort of better discount.

My brother bought me some biscuits from Popeyes. The one thing I can eat without getting sick. LOL. And salads were back in stock. The tomatoes in it were good this time.

Refilled the waterer for the cats and took some trash out.

Latest posts

Back