What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron, glad you got the issue fixed.
Mastercarpentry, I feel the same way. I hate how shoddily built things are now.

Cats woke me up at the crack of dawn to tell me it was canned-food-o'clock.

Went to Samsclub with my brother. He was feeling sick-- massive headache- so he napped in the truck while I got the water. Got him some aleve and then we headed home. I had to run to the bathroom so he brought groceries in and even put them away. He took the overflowing trash bag out of the kitchen trash and put the bag in the front room. I put a new bag in while he was doing that.

Mom paged me when I was doing something (can't remember) and I somehow tripped & fell down. Landed on some boxes and a cat tree. Arm hurts now, but nothing broken. Just a little sore. I'm about to take my evening meds and get some sleep.

You gotta figure out what made him sick and give him some more of it!

Apparently it activated "Super Human 13 Year Old" somewhere way down in the nucleus of the mitochondria responsible for responsible movement.

Tomorrow is gutter and downspouts day! I am sooo excited.

Also, should have electricity on the newly enclosed back porch and also new outlets, circuits in the kitchen and a ventilation fan/light in the bathroom and a flood light/camera for the back yard area.

Exciting things are happening. I can't wait

Tomorrow is gutter and downspouts day! I am sooo excited.

Also, should have electricity on the newly enclosed back porch and also new outlets, circuits in the kitchen and a ventilation fan/light in the bathroom and a flood light/camera for the back yard area.

Exciting things are happening. I can't wait
Wow! That sounds really exciting! I hope you post pictures so we can be excited too!

Working in a 1955ish home today. Master bedroom door at the end of the hall had a site-built jamb which was constructed such that the casing trim on both sides wasn't ripped down to fit the walls. This left me fitting a door 31" wide at the top and 31 3/8" at the bottom, luckily the top was square to the hinge side. Hollow-core slab.. BUGGER!

New doors don't have enough wood on the edges so I fixed up an old door and ripped it to fit, which left me 13/16" wood to screw the hinges into and 1/2" at the knob. It works and is solid enough for the purpose but no way today's crap doors with 3/4" side stiles would have worked without adding wood inside the door to receive the hinge screws. I HATE how cheap everything is made now, nothing but junk. GRRRRR!
I think every trade is dealing with junk.

To clarify: My brother lifted the trash bag out before he was feeling sick. Once he felt sick he barely did anything.
I went to bed earlier last night and tried to get a good sleep through the night. Not feeling as tired right now but still a little sleepy. Rupert keeps trying to touch my face with his paws but doesn't understand how to keep his claws retracted.

Shan, I'm excited for you that you're getting the gutters and downspouts in!

Got a curbside order scheduled for later today so I will have to drag myself out of bed at some point.

Last edited:
Ok, so I thought I had newer before pictures of the outside of the house, however I couldn't find them, so I used older ones that I had.

Now that it's cooling off, I am hopeful to get the last of the outside stuff put where it belongs and then get the grass/weeds under control for the winter.

It looks great! I am sooo happy.

Electrician is coming soon to do all the work we discussed, i will be excited to get that done also.

I got a quote for garage door $1300 ish installed. I need to paint the front and back door. I absolutely love my new back door!

PCIMG_2023-10-01_13-03-46.JPGPCIMG_2023-10-01_13-14-51.JPG
20231001_125218.jpg

Attachments

• 20231001_125218.jpg
    20231001_125218.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231001_125047.jpg
    20231001_125047.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231001_125116.jpg
    20231001_125116.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231001_125236.jpg
    20231001_125236.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231001_125308.jpg
    20231001_125308.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Ok, so I thought I had newer before pictures of the outside of the house, however I couldn't find them, so I used older ones that I had.

Now that it's cooling off, I am hopeful to get the last of the outside stuff put where it belongs and then get the grass/weeds under control for the winter.

It looks great! I am sooo happy.

Electrician is coming soon to do all the work we discussed, i will be excited to get that done also.

I got a quote for garage door $1300 ish installed. I need to paint the front and back door. I absolutely love my new back door!
Wow! It looks like a brand new house! Congratulations! The back room looks great too!

Looks great, Shan!

I went to the store for curbside but had to go inside to grab some stuff I knew they wouldn't get right-- like eggs & milk. Last time the milk was curdled. I always check to make sure the eggs aren't cracked/broken. First box I looked in had a smashed egg. Second had a cracked but others were fine so I swapped out one of the good eggs from the box with the smashed egg. I normally don't do that, but I didn't feel like looking through all of the boxes. I pick up every egg and look for any damage.

Got home, unloaded groceries & put them away, got food for Mom, and watched some How To videos on Youtube.

Bladder woke me up and I decided to clean the litterboxes. The ones that come in 3 pieces with a middle one to sift everything come in handy. I spent way too long with the scoop on the one that doesn't have that feature. LOL.

Going to nap until its time to take my vitamins.

My brother posted a meme with a quote from the CEO of some medical company that said "A patient cured is a customer lost". A friend in Israel said no one actually thinks like that and my brother linked him the article with the original quote. Friend was rather dismayed. He's horrified at how bad the medical system is here. He's trying to move to Canada where its safer.

Friend needed groceries & his paycheck hasn't landed yet so I took him to the store. Got him some veggies & mushrooms (stuff he used to not ever eat) to try. He helped me find stuff, scanned the stuff at self-checkout, & loaded everything in the truck for me. Bonus points, he was throwing out a 3" memory foam mattress topper. I told him "The hoarder in me wants to know if you're throwing that out" and he said "Yes, please take it!" LOL. I'm either going to put it on top of my bed and cover it with a waterproof mattress pad, or I'm going to use it for cushions on a bench seat.

Store was still out of my salads but I got some sandwiches with 5-cheese bread.

Resting again and Rupert is sitting on me purring away.

What would you expect? Build a huge manufacturing facility suddenly and the power has to come from somewhere. That's probably the quickest way. I'd guess over time renewable will build out and the coal will go away. Doesn't seem odd to me at all. To put up turbines or a large solar field means a lot of permitting and land/lease acquisitions. That takes a lot of time. If they had to build a new coal plant, never happening. You obviously see an irony.

Latest posts

Back