What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just reading that the post office wants to increase the cost of a forever stamp from $.68 to $.73. I had no idea that stamps were that much. I buy forever stamps and they don't have the price on them so I never really thought about it or did the math. I remember when stamps were $.12

1712930900338.png

I will try this! We have one dog who is very scared of thunder. She was a rescue dog from California where we didn’t have much thunder. Now we’re in Alabama where thunder happens a lot. We have tried doggy downers, Thunder shirt and Catnip.
Ok, when you twist those Boiron tubes like she shows, do so until you get 4 pellets and put them in water in a small Mason jar or dish... They will dissolve in a few minutes... I was taught to stir the liquid for 30 seconds with a small wooden spoon and then give a dose... One dose could be a Tsp. or a Gallon, there is no difference, so obviously just a little as long as the liquid touches their tongue / gums...

No matter what, do not touch the pellets... It's a contamination thing, not a danger thing.

One small dose is a dose for a Gerbil or an Elephant... Same exact thing.

You can deep dive on Homeopathy... It's really fascinating. A Dog of mine had a cold one day, just obvious with sneezing, eye snot, excessive drooling etc... I gave him a couple doses of Nux Vomica and he was good that day. That was my intro and confirmation that Homeopathy works.

I was just reading that the post office wants to increase the cost of a forever stamp from $.68 to $.73. I had no idea that stamps were that much. I buy forever stamps and they don't have the price on them so I never really thought about it or did the math. I remember when stamps were $.12

View attachment 32523
I still have some $.49ers.

Went to post office and picked up an order from Amazon. A shirt from China. What arrived is not the same one in the photos, but its actually better than the one in the photos. It says its a 3X but it feels like a 2X, which can be expected with stuff from China.

Then I went for curbside pickup at Samsclub and found the option to say I am there to pick up my order is no longer available in the app and I had to reply to a text message and put which parking spot I'm in to get my order. They actually had the rotisserie chickens in stock so I was happy. Ordered chinese food while waiting and went to pick it up after I got my stuff. Picked up the Chinese food, got home, unloaded a few things, and brought food to Mom.

Replaced her Dexcom sensor and synced the new one up for her.

I tore all the meat off the chickens and gave the skin to the dogs. I shredded some of the softer meat into tiny morsels to feed to Rupert. He was purring loudly just from being able to smell the chicken. Itsy tried to steal some but I caught her and took it away from her and gave it to Princess. Mewlatto was behaving and sitting by patiently so I gave him a little bit of chicken.

I'm resting for a few minutes and will go take out trash afterward.

So.... no real story about the parking garage Jack's. Just a he said, she said the top floor was being worked on.

The current count for tornados in my REGION for that April 2 storm is 17. That is completely unheard of in this area.

https://www.wsaz.com/2024/04/13/17-tornadoes-confirmed-tri-state-complete-list/

They had talked about raising the floodgates but I don't think they ended up having to. 3 more work days then my week long break. I am ALWAYS so excited for days off. Like a kid on Christmas morning excited lol.

Our pool started leaking in January. All the water leaked out except a foot. It is a vinyl liner type pool. The liner was replaced last summer. I found the leak, it was at a seam which means it is covered under warranty.

1713123804596.jpeg

It took a while but I finally got the manufacturer to send my a new liner. It took a while because I was telling them they owed me for installation costs too. We eventually accepted the new liner without the installation cost reimbursement but it isn’t over yet.

After we got the new liner, I patched the old one. I figure a patch won’t last as long as a liner should (without a hole in it) but if I can get a year out of it…that would be great!

I usually maintain the pool all winter long so it’s ready in the spring but the water was too low to run the pump so it got pretty grody.

I refilled it and got the filter running and cleaned it up. The sweep quit working so I got a new (latest and greatest) one.

IMG_7454.jpeg

IMG_7538.jpeg

I was trying to get the boats ready for the season yesterday.

1713125540030.jpeg

This one has a Ford 351 V8 engine which was made for a car so it had to be modified (by the manufacturer) to work in a boat. The cooling system is the biggest modification. Instead of a radiator, it just gets a constant supply of cool water from under the boat. This means the coolant (water) doesn’t have to be pressurized to prevent it from boiling at the normal operating temperature of 240 degrees Fahrenheit. The problem in a boat is getting the coolant temperature hot enough to allow the engine to run efficiently. They do this by recirculating the hot water and adding lake water when necessary.

Another problem is, normally, the engine driven water pump is submerged in water because the radiator water level is above the water pump. An automotive water pump is a centrifugal type which pumps well but can’t suck very well. Sucking water from under the boat doesn’t work so a marine conversion includes a raw water pump, which is a vane type that sucks pretty good. The raw water pump keeps the automotive centrifugal pump primed and happy….except mine broke. It used to go here.

IMG_7545.jpeg

The replacement pump is really expensive. They actually don’t make one like the one I took out anymore but the newer style replacement is expensive. I found one from China that is only $130. That’s a fraction of the cost. It looks exactly like the expensive one. I’m a little leary but I’m going to buy it.

1713126686057.png

So.... no real story about the parking garage Jack's. Just a he said, she said the top floor was being worked on.

The current count for tornados in my REGION for that April 2 storm is 17. That is completely unheard of in this area.

https://www.wsaz.com/2024/04/13/17-tornadoes-confirmed-tri-state-complete-list/

They had talked about raising the floodgates but I don't think they ended up having to. 3 more work days then my week long break. I am ALWAYS so excited for days off. Like a kid on Christmas morning excited lol.
Yeah, that was a nasty storm! It missed us, luckily, but wow! ….it got you guys bad!

When I was a kid (not quite 10) we had these two monsters roll through my town in Northern Indiana.

1713127639463.jpeg

It was on Palm Sunday 1965. It became known as the Palm Sunday tornadoes. For quite a few years, I thought Palm Sunday was about these tornadoes but then I learned Palm Sunday was when Jesus entered Jerusalem before He was crucified.

Last edited:
Our pool started leaking in January. All the water leaked out except a foot. It is a vinyl liner type pool. The liner was replaced last summer. I found the leak, it was at a seam which means it is covered under warranty.

It took a while but I finally got the manufacturer to send my a new liner. It took a while because I was telling them they owed me for installation costs too. We eventually accepted the new liner without the installation cost reimbursement but it isn’t over yet.
The only solace I have with manufacturers these days is that the Attorney General is an elected position and if they don't help, I'm crazy enough to post huge signs saying why... I have 2 victories in the Home Theater realm, and I will see when it comes down to GE and whether they are going to replace my Washer and Dryer or give a refund.

When my projector showed it was on it's last legs and Square Trade (Allstate) cancelled my warranty early, I told the AG and in less than 2 weeks had a full purchase price refund...

While the BBB is utterly worthless and is really only an exercise in wasting the life of your fingertips, companies are terrified of the Attorney General's office... If I were you and this dragged on, I would tell the company you are handing over the case to the AG.

Yeah, that was a nasty storm! It missed us, luckily, but wow! ….it got you guys bad!

When I was a kid (not quite 10) we had these two monsters roll through my town in Northern Indiana.

View attachment 32543

It was on Palm Sunday 1965. It became known as the Palm Sunday tornadoes. For quite a few years, I thought Palm Sunday was about these tornadoes but then I learned Palm Sunday was when Jesus entered Jerusalem before He was crucified.
YEP... I'll take NO BLEEPING THANKS for 2000, Alex!

Instead of "See a Bug"... That sign would be perfect if it said "Hold My Beer And Watch This"!!!

View attachment 32523
You must be really young. I remember when they went up to 4 and then 5 cents per letter. Writing letters home from summer camp was pricey in the mid-1950's. History of United States postage rates - Wikipedia

Did you notice they no longer have a "cents" sign on the keyboard like we did on typewriters "in the day?"

View attachment 32543

I was really young but I remember the Palm Sunday outbreak. I'm in NW Ohio.

I just finished a couple of 2 week "Trials" in an attempt to reduce my Blood pressure. The only thing I changed was my Sodium intake, reducing it to around 450-800mg per day. That little can actually be dangerous, but I wanted to find out.

It's impossible to find out the exact number without specialized lab equipment, and even 2 different brands of Himalayan Pink Salt from Pakistan that I have show wildly different numbers, one being 1680Mg per Tsp and the other 2296Mg.

I can't explain that, but unless my almost 20 year old Blood Pressure cuff is completely shot, the reduction in sodium did nothing for my BP... It's consistently in the 130-140 over 90 range. So, back to normal salt consumption, AKA my Vegan slop of Lentils and Rice tasting good again.

Next up is a 2 week trial of 1 Tsp. of Cayenne in Hot water each day, which has cardiac and circulatory benefits, so it might reduce BP. There is of course the standard articles that say it hasn't been proven so there's only one way to find out.

If that works, I will just take a Tsp of Cayenne every day and live with the side effect of my Heart and Circulatory system being stronger than it has been my entire life.

If it doesn't work, I will still take a Tsp. every day after my 3rd experiment, which will be a Tsp. of Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO) in water every day. That has a not so friendly aftertaste and it makes you smell worse than even Onions and Garlic, so I'm hoping to avoid it.

SP free rein branded coffee has cayenne, so adding your DMSO to the brewing water??????????, the coffee also has a smooth after taste.

@Spicoli43 My BP was another reason I wanted to try NAC. I still haven't though 🤦🏼‍♀️
Well, I just ran out of NAC caps for the first time in a year, and I was taking 600mg per day with no BP benefit... That said, I was real reckless with added salt most of the time anyway.

I would suggest everybody supplement with NAC though, since it forces the Liver to produce Glutathione. I will take it forever, as soon as I bust out my Walter White S-3000 Capsule making machine and make more.

Isnt DMSO just horse linament? I remember it being touted as a "cure all" back in the 80's. All it did for me was that it gave me garlic breath.

You must be really young. I remember when they went up to 4 and then 5 cents per letter. Writing letters home from summer camp was pricey in the mid-1950's. History of United States postage rates - Wikipedia

Did you notice they no longer have a "cents" sign on the keyboard like we did on typewriters "in the day?"
Thank you! I don’t get accused of being young very often these days! The truth is, I’m old enough to have a bad memory. Your chart says stamps were .03 when I was born and .08 when I was in high school. I don’t know where I got .12.

Back