What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gary, I hope it goes well for you. *hugs*

My brother just found out he qualifies for Medicaid because he has diabetes, COPD, and only makes about $15k a year-- although he's trying to get a second job somewhere to get some more $ coming in.

My friend who has bad luck seems to have had a little improvement in luck. Two of the auto stores in town are fighting over him. He used to work at one that was easier to see from the street but the management sucked and other employees were lazy. The main supervisor would just sit around reading her phone and avoiding work while my friend did the work of 5 people. Eventually he left because they offered him $9 an hour at the other place and the employees there actually do their jobs. So, first place got rid of the bad apples and has new management and they want him back so they offered him 30 hours a week (which is the max hours they will give anyone now bc they don't want to provide fulltime benefits for anyone) for $13.50 if he came back. He thought place #2 would fire him if he told them about it, but he let them know and they offered to match that pay if he stayed. He now gets paid more than anyone else there and he's only worked there about a month or two. But, he's their top salesperson and brought a lot of business from the other store to their store. They could not afford to lose him. They have better employee discounts and perks and the management members are nicer. He just can't let the other employees know what he's getting paid or they will be upset.

Also, he found out his father's name is on the title for the house he plans to move in to so his mother can't screw him over on it once he gets it fixed up. He already put some tarps on the roof to stop the leaks. I'm going to see if the 5gallon bucket of white Killz paint I have is still any good and I will help him paint. His ex tried to screw him on the deposit for the electricity. The bill was still in his name but he needed it put in her name so he could get the lights turned on at the other house. She owed over $300 and was supposed to pay the balance and then transfer the bill to her own account. Only she deliberately paid the balance with a bad check so it bounced and they took all but $9 of his deposit. Her new fiance felt bad about it so he paid down the deposit for him and said the lights will be turned on sometime this week.

I'll be ready to transport stuff with my truck whenever he needs and will help him get stuff set up. He'll need a new stove, so I'm trying to help him find a good electric glasstop- he doesn't like the old style ones and he never wants to have gas stove again after the fire-- that he can afford.

Today I tried to install a jimmy-free lock on my front door. Got my hole saw attachment out from all the remaining moving clutter in the garage and tried to drill the hole for it. Drilled and drilled with my egg-beater drill. Nothing, just spinning. I figured I wasn't applying enough pressure from my shoulder.

Meanwhile my daughter was underfoot, making a lot of noise and picking up items she wasn't supposed to and generally being disobedient. And it was really hot and muggy. I got mad, and she lost her bedtime story. And this whole time I was cranking away with that egg-beater drill and wasn't getting anywhere.

Finally I took the drill away and saw a shiny spot. Realized my front door's made of metal. Probably should have checked that first. (My daughter quickly followed up this realization by sticking a bunch of her letter magnets on there.)

My eggbeater drill is my absolute favorite tool but that's not why I was using it. It's because today's the day I found out the second and last remaining battery for my Dewalt has died. It no longer charges. The first one met that same fate a couple years ago. Not bad for being at least 10 years old, I guess. I'll give it a proper cremation ceremony just like I did the last one. (Just kidding.)

Am I going to shell out 50 bucks for a replacement? I hope to put it off as long as possible and keep using my egg-beater, but eventually I'll have a project where I need to drill with one hand and do something else with the other, and then I'll need my cordless again.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, that the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday), Home Depot sells DeWalt batteries for half price. This is when I get my batteries.

Keep in mind, that the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday), Home Depot sells DeWalt batteries for half price. This is when I get my batteries.
Usually I hide out on Black Friday. I don't think saving $25 is enough to lure me out from under my rock! Thanks for the tip though...if anything changes I'll know what to do.

Last year I checked, they had a 12 volt battery that I needed, I waited for the sale and found they no longer carry it. I have one at the rebuilder now for more than the full price I could have bought it..

I also have an 18V Craftsman drill with 2 spare batteries that I found in a cabinet in my last house, but I have no idea if it works because the charger's power cable is missing, almost like it got yanked out or something. One of my projects was to buy some spare parts and try to fix it but I never got around to it. I guess now I might have a good reason to get around to it!

Flyover, you don't have to actually go to the stores to get Black Friday deals. A lot of places now have online sales.
Finally got a picture of the weeds from hell in my yard. They are over 6' tall. This is after the rest of the yard was bush-hogged. Tractor can't get in to this area to mow and that damn pig grass kills the weedeaters. Have to take a machete to that stuff.

tumblr_out76w9PPy1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

I took my friend to look at carpet remnants today. He found some that might work if they are still there when he gets his paycheck.

In the continuing saga of the smalltown drama, it turns out that he has a restraining order against his father and his father has been violating it by staying in the same house (because the grandmother bailed him out and brought him home). The deal was he was supposed to stay off drugs and not pull any crap and my friend would tolerate it. But, his father started using again, got verbally abusive with the grandmother, and then threatened my friend. So, one call to the cops and his father was removed, but not arrested. They said if he violates the restraining order again, he will be locked up. And my friend said he won't even bother with the local cops, he'll call his cousin at the sheriff's department to come get him.

At least progress was made on fixing up the house my friend is going to move in to. The kitchen is pretty much destroyed from water damage-- floor is not sturdy enough to support any weight. But the nasty old carpet full of urine stains and who knows what was torn out and chucked. We found some drug paraphernalia and a bucket of cockroaches during cleanup. Walls have been scrubbed with bleach, new LED lightbulbs are in, and he's waiting for the crackhead former tenant to come get the rest of her crap out of there. She's leaving a couch and an air conditioner and a headboard for him.

So today I was mowing my lawn...(I know, big deal!) and a red tailed hawk flew by and landed on a branch not far from where I was working. I thought it was surprising that it would tolerate the noise from my mower and when I stopped to look it flew away. In a few minutes it was back, and I started to wonder why it would be hanging around. Could it be he was waiting for the mower to scare up some yummy reptiles? It was back for a third visit a few minutes later, hanging around the area I had finished mowing. I would have had some great photos if I wasn't so busy....

slownsteady, I personally woudn't keep that couch-- but my friend thinks he can clean it up. He can't exactly be picky since he can't even afford to buy used furniture at this point.

So, yesterday while cleaning out one of the dressers the tenant left, my friends found some syringes and a bag of heroin. Well, the girlfriend found it and didn't know what it was. Sent a pic and text to her boyfriend saying "Babe, just found this in the drawer. Don't know what it is." He said "It's heroin! Throw it away!"

Floor joists in the bathroom were rotted so he got them reinforced and just put in new subfloor. While we were working on the subfloor we kept hearing a rat squawking at us. At one point when we were out of the room it came out and crapped on the floor and then went through the wall to the kitchen. I started joking that it was "Master Splinter" looking for his teenage turtles.

Next morning my friend was asking if anyone could lend him a cat to catch Master Splinter in his kitchen. A few minutes later he looked in the kitchen and discovered it wasn't a rat, but a raccoon-- and it had one of his pens. He walked away and opened the front door and it sort of followed and moseyed out the front door with his pen. He posted an addendum saying it was a raccoon and it could keep the pen.

He's borrowing my tools for now-- said my PVC cutter came in handy. Tomorrow I'm going to pick up more PVC and maybe some PEX and help him figure out the plumbing layout. Old setup didn't have vents. I'm trying to convince him to move the shower to the opposite corner because the roof slopes down and it's only about 6' where the showerhead would be. Other side is sufficiently tall. Lav is also too close to the toilet and set in an exterior wall (although it is directly in front of the exterior water heater). I'm going to try to convince him to move it to the opposite wall as well. I'll help him figure out the trap arm stuff. He wants to do an AAV on the lav (this is not a forever home) so I need to figure out the best way to set that up.

I'll eventually post some pics of the reno so far.

He also learned the hard way that the toilet bolts need to be secured enough to not fall over while setting the toilet. Had a snafu, bolts fell over, wax ring broke apart. I told him to jam the broken wax in to the flange slots to hold the bolts still and got some washers to put on top to further secure them-- they got mushed in to the wax. 2nd time worked and he now has the toilet in.

Wow, zannej. I can't believe junkies left behind a whole bag of heroin. Usually that stuff is more important to them than anything--that's why they use needles instead of smoking it, because when you smoke it you waste some of it. I guess they must have been so strung out they forgot they put it in there. Can you imagine the fights they must have had when one accused the other of secretly shooting it?

Wow, zannej. I can't believe junkies left behind a whole bag of heroin. Usually that stuff is more important to them than anything--that's why they use needles instead of smoking it, because when you smoke it you waste some of it. I guess they must have been so strung out they forgot they put it in there. Can you imagine the fights they must have had when one accused the other of secretly shooting it?
I think it is possible that the owner of the drugs is the one who died in that house. The tenant's son lived with her and I don't know if they both did drugs, but the son certainly did. Not sure how he died, but I suspect heart attack or drug overdose.

Today I decided to be proactive again with trying to do something about the hag that broke my friend's stuff and stole from him. This is the newer friend that was born with some deformities and has clinical depression and anxiety issues. He has a 2-year-old child with the hag and neither of them have custody. She has rage issues and drug problems. But she lied to the cops so my friend lost custody of their kid and her parents have custody. Anyway, she fled and cops here didn't do squat about it. My friend said he called the DA but nobody cares. Last night the hag sent some new pictures of herself with their son (meaning her parents are harboring her) with the message "F*** YOU!" and sent several such messages mocking/taunting him. Because she endangered the child before (put him through a broken window while trying to kidnap him when my friend had custody) and has a violent temper, we're concerned she might hurt the child.
So, I called the sheriff's department trying to find out who her probation officer was. I was referred to the DA's office. I called them and explained the situation to a nice lady who was very concerned for the child and said she would pull the police report from the local town. She then gave me the number for the probation office and told me exactly what to say to get the info I need. So, now I know the hag has a felony warrant and who her probation officer is. I called him but got an answering machine. Left a message but I intend to call back. I haven't told my friend yet because I don't want to get his hopes up in case they end up not doing anything.

Good for you for trying. And don't tell anybody if you don't have to. You don't need any enemies and your friends already know you're a friend. keep a record of who you talk to, so if anything happens to the kid, you'll know who screwed up.

Today I plan to have no pain after 23 days.
A week ago last Thursday I had a spinal injection that worked for 2 days and then the relief was gone. This last Thursday they gave me 2 shots. 2 days later I'm still good. Just a wait and see how things go from hear.

Latest posts

Back