What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good for you for trying. And don't tell anybody if you don't have to. You don't need any enemies and your friends already know you're a friend. keep a record of who you talk to, so if anything happens to the kid, you'll know who screwed up.
I wish I could remember who I spoke to at the DA's office. But I know who the probation officer is and he hasn't had her check-in in over 6 months-- so he's dropped the ball. He wasn't in the office on Friday. They said he's always out on Fridays and that he won't be back in until Monday.
I also need to find out who the current DA is. My favorite teacher's son used to be the DA but I don't know if he still is. Latest info I found is from 2015.

Today I plan to have no pain after 23 days.
A week ago last Thursday I had a spinal injection that worked for 2 days and then the relief was gone. This last Thursday they gave me 2 shots. 2 days later I'm still good. Just a wait and see how things go from hear.
I hope you get feeling better. Have you thought of getting RF (radio frequency) treatments? They numb the nerves. Or is that what you've been getting?

I helped my friend with his bathroom some more today. Had to take his girlfriend to the store to distract her because his ex was over (because the ex's current boyfriend is helping him). I don't know where the kids were. His ex doesn't like to actually watch her kids and doesn't like to be left alone with them because then she's responsible for them. She's also a total biyatch to the current girlfriend and does stuff to antagonize her when my friend isn't looking. She was doing it again today so I went over to intervene. She knows not to mess with her when I'm around.

There was an accident in a parking lot near my friend's house. It looks like a small black car ran under the side of an 18-wheeler tanker. The kind of tanker that carries explosive materials too. Cops, fire department, and ambulance were all there.

Anyway, back to the renovations, I supplied the plumbing parts. Found a decent vanity online and transported it for my friend. He's using the layout I suggested and he went by a diagram I drew for the pipes (he didn't know about vents). He had to deviate a little because of a large floor beam. I didn't get to see what he did under the house. He has the shower set in place but still needs to put sealant under and around it to protect from water damage. He's going to build a wall around the 3rd side. He'll put an AAV inside that wall with an access / vent panel. There is a huge vent pipe connected to the toilet that goes out through the roof but it is cast iron and he couldn't tie in to it. The old lav is still on the wall and he's trying to figure out how to disconnect it and remove it, but it's some sort of copper and there are no shutoffs.

Here's the before (after he tore the original floor out bc it was rotted all the way to the joists)
tumblr_ov4d9x3xob1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

Here's what he did with the joists (with help). His helper made the mistake of putting them 16" on center instead of 24" so it had to have extra reinforcements added underneath. They got the shower temporarily in place and connected to test how things hook up. Also got the drain stuff temporarily hooked up. I can't fit the pic of the opposite wall where the old shower used to be.
tumblr_ov4d9x3xob1qkwd9ao4_1280.jpg

After he got the toilet set in with a new flange- it's turned at a slight angle for leg space. He wanted to move it over but lav was in the way and it tied in to cast iron and was a pain to deal with.
tumblr_ov4d9x3xob1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

Here's what it currently looks like:
tumblr_ovbx26iGnu1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

went to a meeting of Deplorable's, LOL, A day of fellowship, Powder Primers Guns Food lies and half truths
deplorables.jpg

de powder.jpg

guns.jpg

guns1.jpg

gun2.jpg

gun3.jpg

gun5.jpg

gr food.jpg

The little fella in the picture, was curious as to the vacuum pump I am wearing, It makes a grunting noise like a bull frog
I had him convinced my bag was full of magic bull frogs that only come out a night. I told him that I was Frodo and was keeping the magic frogs safe LOL....He followed me around helping keep the frogs safe

Frodo, that is nothing I imagined you looked like. You almost look normal, and not the swamp monster I expected!:hide:

Frodo, that is nothing I imagined you looked like. You almost look normal, and not the swamp monster I expected!:hide:

lol,,,I had hair but shaved my head while in the hospital

More like "what did I do this weekend" than "today" but...

I broke the sabbath yesterday and re-screened one wall of my screened-in porch. (Feel kinda guilty about that but as the song goes, "The Devil, he won't notice when I die. Don't you figger he's got bigger fish to fry?" On the other hand, God had a guy killed just for gathering wood. [gulp] ) I was surprised at how incompetently the previous owner had put up the screen. He installed it in one giant piece so it would have been impossible to repair easily, if it didn't all need to be replaced. And he used totally inappropriate nails used to attach the stop moulding. Etc.

Today I went to install a door closer on the door to that same porch because it kept swinging open and letting bugs in. The previous owner's solution had been to tie an old shoe string around the handle; this was wrapped around a nail on the other side of the door frame. He should have been on This Old House, right? Anyway, as I was deciding where to place the door closer anchor I realized there was already one installed! It was old and rusty and the rest of the mechanism was gone. Why the heck would they take it off? I guess they preferred the shoestring solution.

The previous owner continues to impress me. Very small shoes to fill, but he sure left a lot of filling to do.

Last edited:
went to a meeting of Deplorable's, LOL, A day of fellowship, Powder Primers Guns Food lies and half truths
View attachment 14496

View attachment 14497

View attachment 14498

View attachment 14499

View attachment 14500

View attachment 14501

View attachment 14502

View attachment 14503

The little fella in the picture, was curious as to the vacuum pump I am wearing, It makes a grunting noise like a bull frog
I had him convinced my bag was full of magic bull frogs that only come out a night. I told him that I was Frodo and was keeping the magic frogs safe LOL....He followed me around helping keep the frogs safe
Great pics! I love some of the nicknames people have.
LOL @ the magic frogs thing. That's adorable!
I'm so glad you're feeling well enough to go to gatherings.

More like "what did I do this weekend" than "today" but...

I broke the sabbath yesterday and re-screened one wall of my screened-in porch. (Feel kinda guilty about that but as the song goes, "The Devil, he won't notice when I die. Don't you figger he's got bigger fish to fry?" On the other hand, God had a guy killed just for gathering wood. [gulp] ) I was surprised at how incompetently the previous owner had put up the screen. He installed it in one giant piece so it would have been impossible to repair easily, if it didn't all need to be replaced. And he used totally inappropriate nails used to attach the stop moulding. Etc.

Today I went to install a door closer on the door to that same porch because it kept swinging open and letting bugs in. The previous owner's solution had been to tie an old shoe string around the handle; this was wrapped around a nail on the other side of the door frame. He should have been on This Old House, right? Anyway, as I was deciding where to place the door closer anchor I realized there was already one installed! It was old and rusty and the rest of the mechanism was gone. Why the heck would they take it off? I guess they preferred the shoestring solution.

The previous owner continues to impress me. Very small shoes to fill, but he sure left a lot of filling to do.
They probably couldn't figure out how to work the mechanism and broke it. Shoestring sounds about like something my best friend would do. He doesn't have much $ to spend so he has to improvise a lot. He was joking with me when I was taking pictures in his house about how he knew I was going to show other people how redneck his house is. LOL. Didn't have a wall lamp. Ceiling lamp wouldn't work. So he screwed a table lamp to the wall.

I've been sitting here hoping the rain will go away soon. I'm out of the path of the hurricane, but there were tornado warnings. Called my cousin over in Texas to check on her. Her pool is overflowed but the water had not yet reached her foundation. Her old neighborhood is completely flooded. She and her family had just returned from a 20 day trip up to Oregon. They barely had time to get groceries before the storm hit.

I lettered a truck today. Not a big deal normally, but this was one of those big articulating off road trucks with 6' tall tires, so I had to climb around on it to get the lettering done. What makes it a big deal is my sciatica didn't flare up at all. Makes me cautiously optimistic that the worst might be over.

Not today but yesterday I bought a 1948 Chevy Loadmaster which is a 1-1/2" ton flatbed. I bought it for yard art but it does run fairly well. I drove it home. I also picked up a 1949 Case DC tractor and then my neighbor gave me a Farmall 350 tractor. My junk collection is getting bigger.

Picked up a couple hundred blocks for my outdoor kitchen. And busted a break line on my truck.

My internet has been sporadic with the storm, but I'm on high ground and still have power.
I made a run to the store to get some groceries and rushed back so the roads wouldn't get worse before I got home. The distribution center that sends groceries to the local stores is in Houston so we will be without some stuff for awhile.
Made a deal with my friend that we will help him buy what he needs to fix his roof and stuff and in return he's going to come over and help us clean and fix this place up (once he gets his place set enough that he doesn't need to keep doing major work on it). He feels bad bc he's borrowed a lot of $ from my mother and things keep happening to set him back so he hasn't made repayments in a couple months.
The good news is that some nice people have been leaving gifts on his porch-- someone left a full set of dishes and cups and this morning someone left cupcakes.

I'll have to upload pics of my road later-- if they turn out ok. I took a video while driving and am not sure how clear it turned out bc my windshield had lovebug guts all over it and they haven't come off yet.

Gary, love that gunstock for Frodo!

Flying out in 2 hours, headed for Houston to help with the Red Cross efforts. You all stay safe and you, seems I will be keeping my head on a swivel. My job is supervisor/manager with safety and security of our own folks. Kinda like the cops of the Red Cross.

Flying out in 2 hours, headed for Houston to help with the Red Cross efforts. You all stay safe and you, seems I will be keeping my head on a swivel. My job is supervisor/manager with safety and security of our own folks. Kinda like the cops of the Red Cross.

Be careful, lots of bad hombre's out and about

Good luck, Havasu! Hope you have a safe trip and that nothing goes awry.

I helped my friend move his furniture and computer out of his grandparent's house and in to his "new" house. He still needs to fix up some more things. He was going to put drywall around his shower but I suggested greenboard. And I suggested luan or plywood for the walls instead of sheetrock so it would be lighter and easier to put up (I have a nail gun). I have some paint we can use when the time comes. His bathroom is looking better.

Tomorrow (well, later today since it's after midnight) I need to remember to call one of my neighbors who used to own a flooring store and install stuff to ask if he has any carpet and/or linoleum remnants that he could sell. Also need to try calling the DA, a felon's probation officer to report on her possible whereabouts, and call DCFS to report her parents for letting a wanted felon take custody of the child she isn't supposed to see without supervision.

Latest posts

Back