What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what got into me, I sprinted at that snowball, then jumped up on it thinking I'd land on top in a crouch and then stand up and be king of the giant snowball.

Just be glad you can still do stuff like that.

I put air in the car tires and doing the 4 squats wore my knees out.

Or it could have been tackling the project I had on my list for 5 years since we bought this house. It came with a good size cement mixer in the basement. Seems the guy that owned it before us made bird baths down there. Reason it didn’t come out sooner besides the fact it weighs a ton is it didn’t fit up the stairs or thru the doors.

Ever take a cement mixer apart where it is incased in hard cement and all the bolts are rusted globs? I can now say I have.

Carried it out piece by piece and then got to the drum. Holly has been working out doing cross fit so I told her time for your cardio workout. Two of us got it into the kitchen and then dolly took it to the garage.

Next project is rebuild the mixer. Its missing a few parts so should be a fun project.

That’s what I did yesterday.

Sounds like you've all been busy and productive.
I just went to the grocery store and picked up an RX for my sick cat. Vet said her symptoms sound like she could have a brain tumor/cancer. She only seems to do the twitching while she's asleep, but it looks like little seizures and since she pees on herself while doing it, it's a sign of epilepsy. He said it's very rare for cats to get that unless something is seriously wrong. Said all we can do is try to make her comfortable and try some meds to stop the seizures. Since she knows how to push my door open and insists on sleeping on me, I've had to sleep underneath a waterproof mattress pad. I had to fill her prescription at Walmart and the clerk at pickup thought it was for a child. I explained it was for my cat to stop seizures. She joked a little with me about how I had to put that I was the guardian and had to show my own ID because Ralphina clearly wouldn't have ID. I gave her the first dose and thus far she hasn't been twitching. Fingers crossed that it will work.

Sounds like you've all been busy and productive.
I just went to the grocery store and picked up an RX for my sick cat. Vet said her symptoms sound like she could have a brain tumor/cancer. She only seems to do the twitching while she's asleep, but it looks like little seizures and since she pees on herself while doing it, it's a sign of epilepsy. He said it's very rare for cats to get that unless something is seriously wrong. Said all we can do is try to make her comfortable and try some meds to stop the seizures. Since she knows how to push my door open and insists on sleeping on me, I've had to sleep underneath a waterproof mattress pad. I had to fill her prescription at Walmart and the clerk at pickup thought it was for a child. I explained it was for my cat to stop seizures. She joked a little with me about how I had to put that I was the guardian and had to show my own ID because Ralphina clearly wouldn't have ID. I gave her the first dose and thus far she hasn't been twitching. Fingers crossed that it will work.
Ill keep my fingers crossed and say a little prayer too. all that i did today was go to wall mart and hobby lobby to get supplies for are new curtains my wife and i are making for our front room ill post pictures when there done we only get about 2 days a week to work on them due to baby sitting the grandchildren.

Yesterday I started making a Newton Cradle. Before I retired our test guy was cutting apart a bunch of ball bearings to test hardness of the inner race on the rolling surface. He had a 5 gallon bucket full of 1.5” steel balls. And was getting ready to dump them in the scrap bin. So I grabbed a dozen telling him I was building a cannon. He suggested I take the whole bucket. I told him 12 will take care of my problem.

If you have never seen a Newton Cradle here is a link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_cradle

It is a device I made as a kid out of .75 ball bearings my dad had in the garage most likely came out of some machinery he got his hands on. The one I had as a kid had 5 balls and this one will have 7. I saw it in grade school science classroom when we learned about conservation of energy.

I just like the clicking sound of the balls colliding and to watch it in action. As soon as I saw those big 1.5” balls I wondered how it would work.

Making the top and bottom plate out of some white oak I had sitting on the shelf and the upright supports will be 3/8 aluminum rods about a foot long. Hoping it comes out good enough she will let me keep it in the house, haha. If not the man cave / workshop will find a place.

Will post some pictures when it is done.

Working on it today also. Working I’m told is a loose term since I retired. She normally says one of two things when describing my time in the workshop. I’m ether destructing something or playing around with something. Fairly accurate observation on her part actually.

I'm often accused, though not falsely, of " Puttering". When one putters, progress doesn't necessarily result. It does require dedication and the ability to not be easily distracted. Now, what were we talking about...

Her dad came over the other day and asked what I was doing down in the basement. She said well he put all that PEX plumbing in the house and he’s down there cutting out all the steel and copper and PVC pipe.

He told her OMG he is turning into grandpa (his father). LOL.

I thought about it after she told me and he was right. Grandpa is a pretty cool old guy I told her.

My gas and power companies contract with another company that sends people out to your house to assess your energy efficiency. They give you free LED bulbs, a fancy power strip, and huge rebate vouchers if you get work done based on their recommendations. My wife found some kind of deal for them to come out for free, so we had the guy out today.

At first I figured it was some kind of scam and I was watching the guy like a hawk because I was sure he was casing my house. But after a while I decided he was legit and I relaxed.

I had never really looked around in my attic before, but there really is very little insulation up there. The ductwork is well insulated but that's it. I also discovered somebody installed a light fixture up there with a pull string! There's nothing going across the joists -- i.e. no reason you'd ever spend any amount of time up there -- but someone still installed it anyway! I thought that was funny.

Then later we were in the dining room going over paperwork and I looked out the back window and saw a female turkey strutting around just behind the chain link fence that separates me and my neighbor's yards. I haven't seen turkey in the suburbs since about 2009 pr 2010, and I've never seen any where I live now, so I was pretty surprised. Wish I had had a good camera at that moment, I would have taken a picture. Plus it's just a cool sight; those things really look and move like little dinosaurs.

Installed new porch lights what should have taken 20 minutes tops ended up taking 2hours one of the lights didn't have the mounting screws with it so back to home depot and low and behold i bought the last 2 lights and they were no help in finding replacement screws so i got pissed off and left ill go back tomorrow and get what i need i fond enough stuff lying around here to make it work loos kinda funny the lights are rubbed bronze and the hard ware i had was black :help:

Thanks, Tuffy. The first couple of doses went ok but then she started fighting me & spitting the medicine up and she was twitching in her sleep again (although not peeing). I'm worried she will and one of the times I was giving her medicine, I used milk in the syringe to make it a little more pleasant. She still hated it, but she wanted to drink the milk I had in a little cup, even though it still had some of the medicine smell/taste on it. I decided to try an experiment: pour about a tablespoon of milk into her bowl, get the medicine in to the syringe and push it in, add a little water to clear out the syringe and put it in with the milk, mix it up, and see if she'd drink it. Thus far she has lapped it up & I gave her some canned food and chicken to go along with it. Still a little twitching, but I'm wondering if she's just having weird dreams. She's not crying out like my other pets did when they had seizures.

The kitty who just had kittens decided to move them to a bad spot right near the foot of the bed underneath a blanket that was hanging off. I almost stepped on them. I put a box in that spot, put an old torn sweater of mine in it along with a microfiber rag that they like sleeping on, and pulled the blanket over the box to give it some cover. I put her in the box with them and thus far she seems content with the arrangement. The little ones are safe from being stepped on, they are warm, and they can't crawl away and get hurt or lost. They are fat little babies too.

Other than taking my friend's girlfriend to the store, I pretty much curled up in a ball because of pain that didn't want to go away for the whole day. Friend's girlfriend needed some new skivvies because the water pump on their washing machine broke during the freeze and their little dog apparently got in to the laundry basket and chewed some of her clothes.

Today I drove five hours south because my wife and her mother are heading up from California but she was too scared to drive her mom's Camry in the snow storm that is coming in so I drove my wife's truck down and will drive the Camry up while she drives her 4x4, she has a pretty nice truck.

painted 1 of the window trim .now just waiting on the wife to get the curtain done so i can hang it back up. and start on one of the other windows.

I brought some dog food over for my friend's dog because they'd run out a few days earlier and didn't have enough $ to buy any. I wish they'd told me sooner. Poor little doggie didn't eat for a couple of days. I decided not to lecture them about how if they are going to have a pet, they need to make sure they buy food for it before they buy stuff they don't need for themselves, but I know they felt bad about it enough already.

Forgot to mention that we got some sad news. Other friends' dog got hit by a car and killed. He was such a sweet doggie. His name was Mr. Peanutbutter and he was the same color as peanutbutter. They didn't keep him tethered because he would whine and yelp like he was being killed and they didn't keep him in the trailer because he destroyed stuff. Those were the same friends that had two dogs poisoned by a neighbor.

My cat with Leukemia seems do be doing better. I just ran out of her meds and need to get more though. None of the cats have peed on my bed in over 24 hours though-- so that is a good thing. I'm hoping it will continue, but I'm still keeping the waterproof mattress pad spread over the blankets and pillows just in case.

Chris, have you heard anything from Frodo? He hasn't posted since New Years and I'm getting a bit worried. I hope he's ok.

Last edited:
I brought some dog food over for my friend's dog because they'd run out a few days earlier and didn't have enough $ to buy any. I wish they'd told me sooner. Poor little doggie didn't eat for a couple of days. I decided not to lecture them about how if they are going to have a pet, they need to make sure they buy food for it before they buy stuff they don't need for themselves, but I know they felt bad about it enough already.

Forgot to mention that we got some sad news. Other friends' dog got hit by a car and killed. He was such a sweet doggie. His name was Mr. Peanutbutter and he was the same color as peanutbutter. They didn't keep him tethered because he would whine and yelp like he was being killed and they didn't keep him in the trailer because he destroyed stuff. Those were the same friends that had two dogs poisoned by a neighbor.

My cat with Leukemia seems do be doing better. I just ran out of her meds and need to get more though. None of the cats have peed on my bed in over 24 hours though-- so that is a good thing. I'm hoping it will continue, but I'm still keeping the waterproof mattress pad spread over the blankets and pillows just in case.

Chris, have you heard anything from Frodo? He hasn't posted since New Years and I'm getting a bit worried. I hope he's ok.
That was really nice of you to get dog food for your friend . i also was wondering about Frodo.

I attempted to make some dumplings using my mother's drop noodle (aka knadle) recipe. Only her recipe just said "add enough water to make a soft dough". Only I don't know what she meant by "soft"-- like how soft? So, I just went with 3 eggs, 3 cups of flower, 3 tsp salt, and 1 cup water. When I tried it with 2 of each and 1 cup of water it was too runny. Mom said it was still a bit runnier than it should have been, but not too bad. I always remembered her using a large spoon when she was making them and I forgot that she would scoop up the dough with the large spoon and then scrape off small amounts with a "baby spoon". So I ended up with these huge lumpy ugly things. Mom tasted the dough and said it didn't have enough salt so I added a tsp of garlic salt to them. I hope they will at least taste ok.

Sounds delish can I come down for some? been touch up painting the living room walls boy did they need it the only problem is now I can tell how dirty the rest of the walls are time for some scrubbing I guess !!!!!:mad:

Last edited:
Sure, come on down, if you don't mind a house that is a total disaster! LOL. I still need to finish cleaning the stove and counters and figure out where the hell to put stuff. I have lacked motivation.

My cat is refusing to eat her medicine today and peed on the mattress pad a couple of times. Not sure if it was on purpose or if it's because she lost control of her bladder from not taking her meds.

Well right after writing my last post i decided to start a fire since its going to get down to 9 tonight well that caught our flue on fire flames were shooting 2 feet in the air and their was a horrible rumbling sound coming from the fire place so we called the fire dept took them about 1 hour to put it out in the process thy cracked our flue knocked some of the bricks loose. so no more fires for us . i guess its time for a gas insert:mad:.

Well right after writing my last post i decided to start a fire since its going to get down to 9 tonight well that caught our flue on fire flames were shooting 2 feet in the air and their was a horrible rumbling sound coming from the fire place so we called the fire dept took them about 1 hour to put it out in the process thy cracked our flue knocked some of the bricks loose. so no more fires for us . i guess its time for a gas insert:mad:.

The sound of a rocket taking off at the Cape , I know it well.

Back