What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it a coincidence that we experiencing yet another respiratory system pandemic (RSV)?
RSV is nothing new..... my daughter had it when she was 8 weeks old (now 25), I have cared for multiple patients every year the entire 16 years I have been a nurse......

Question for the braintrust...I just came out of a 3 week coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. I tested 4 times and was negative for Covid. Does that kid coughing illness stay just with kids, or are adults susceptible?
Yes.... adults get RSV also, elderly struggle as much as infants with it.

So..... I am attempting to cut this top layer of carpet up from the back porch..... let's just go ahead and add this to the list of things to never do again. I have to cut it in sections no wider than 4 feet (in case Larry doesn't take it and I have to use my refuse service). I bought a new knife to cut it with and I have only cut 1 3.6 x 6 foot section and I am over this and not wanting to continue. I have to move all this stuff to the area where I have already cut carpet up, so that I can cut up the rest. This blade seems to be dulled already with just one piece.... ugh!!!!

20221023_154917.jpg

Question for the braintrust...I just came out of a 3 week coughing, wheezing and shortness of breath. I tested 4 times and was negative for Covid. Does that kid coughing illness stay just with kids, or are adults susceptible?
Long Covid probably. All you can do is boost your Immune system, which of course means no Alcohol, Sugar or anything in the Bread group to start. I would also look into an Autoimmune diet, such as AIP Paleo. I would think about going even further with Keto, but that really should be done with a qualified Functional Medicine MD because it can get nasty with existing conditions.

I have read in a couple of places that this high rate of RSV problems may be due to many young kids have not been exposed to many viruses that we build immunities to because many have not been in groups such as daycare before because of the covid situation. Many closed and many parents worked at home for some time. Now as things continue to return to normal there is a surge. Makes sense to me, all my young grandkids have had it in the last couple months. Little kids are like Petri dishes, they drag home a lot of stuff. That's why back when my oldest grandson started preschool, 11 or 12 years ago, I started getting an annual flu shot since he was with us a lot. BTW in my mind the flu shot and the covid shot are basically they same sort of thing. Not super effective but helps a lot. Depends on the variant I suppose. Those classes of viruses are highly mutable so it's a lot harder to make a highly effective vaccine that would last for years, unlike say polio or measles.

The colors are just about peak at my place, beautiful day today. This is off the front porch today. Gotta get the raft of the pond soon. 20221023_164122.jpg20221023_100259.jpg

Gotta use a Razor knife, Shan.
I got it done! Woot woot.

There is actually about 8 to 10 square feet left, but I gotta move 2 things off there and I just dont have it in me.....
20221023_193611.jpg20221023_193619.jpg

I'm sure.you can see the corningware/ corelle in that pic... but here is a better one. From what I can tell at least 2 pieces are from the late 50s. I had thought about using it (I currently use plastic $1 plates from Walmart), but from what I am reading it seems to be a bad idea. Haven't been able to find solid answers on what is and is not safe.... so I will err on the side of is not.

20221023_193642.jpg

Now don't get too excited about all that empty space, stuff is just at the opposite end. Idk if I will feel like working on it tomorrow, at least not till evening because cutting that carpet up, kicked my rear-end.

I'm off to bleach myself after.dealing with all that. I am unsure about the original carpet that is still down. It should probably come up also, but I am not ready to buy carpet and put it down out there, yet....

Eddie... Your BP numbers are good while using Hawthorne Berry, correct? I'm thinking about adding them to my regimen.

Do you get the whole berries and make them as a Tea like the instructions for these?

https://www.vitacost.com/starwest-botanicals-organic-hawthorn-berries-whole
Yes, my BP is good while take Hawthorn but got squirrely when I ran out.

No but that might be better than what I am taking which is Swanson 3 caps tid.

Swanson Premium Hawthorn Berry 565 mg 250 Caps - Swanson®

Last edited:
Since kids under six don't get out much anyway my theory is that COVID jabs compromised the immune systems of adults by making them overactive for specific COVID antibody production. The adults then became asymptomatic carriers of RSV and brought it home to babes in arms.

RSV is a ubiquitous virus that used to be primarily seen with peaks in winter and now is happening throughout more of the year. Individuals do not build enduring immunity as they can to chickenpox or measles, so one can get it multiple times (even in one season). There is no effective vaccine for RSV, but there is an immune globulin available for vulnerable infants (premature infants and infants with cardiac disease). Having cared for hundreds of infants with RSV in the ICU over the last 35 years, most of whom survive and a small number who die, I can affirm that those of you who turn this into a political statement are barking up the wrong tree.

Since kids under six don't get out much anyway my theory is that COVID jabs compromised the immune systems of adults by making them overactive for specific COVID antibody production. The adults then became asymptomatic carriers of RSV and brought it home to babes in arms.
Adults have encountered RSV as a minor respiratory viral infection for decades, if not longer. Kids were not in school as much over the last two years and were not exposed to common respiratory illnesses as frequently, so their individual immunity to common viruses was not reinforced. Infants get it from older siblings and adults who bring it home to them as in all sorts of other respiratory viruses, such as human metapneumovirus, adenovirus, rhinovirus, etc.

Sure RSV been around for years but we now have to determine why the sudden pandemic. It's not political it's common sense. If it was political we would just believe it was due to to the shutdown but people gave up on the shutdown a year ago. I am not saying my theory is right but the off-the-cuff answers don't explain it and people blindly accept them. Doctors are not famous for thinking outside the box and those that do are ridiculed and ostracized..

RSV is a ubiquitous virus, I can affirm that those of you who turn this into a political statement are barking up the wrong tree.
That's funny! Everything between now and Nov 8 is political. When you realize this, things make more sense.
Adults have encountered RSV as a minor respiratory viral infection for decades, if not longer.
Democrats can't win when the narrative is Economics, Crime or Border protection so the focus has to shift . . .and fast! The polls indicate that people trust the Democrats more for Covid response so why not change the narrative to something that scare people enough to vote for the democrats, (even though RSV is not the same as Covid)?

The Swanson isn't Organic, but if it works for you... I wouldn't take it because it has Magnesium Stearate, which is known to suppress the body's T Cells.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1384169/?tool=pubmed
Magnesium stearate is so hard to avoid that I don't bother trying. I take so many supplements that I may be taking on too much stearic acid but since I don't get sick it may mean that it's not a problem (at least for me) in the overall scheme of things.

Magnesium stearate is so hard to avoid that I don't bother trying. I take so many supplements that I may be taking on too much stearic acid but since I don't get sick it may mean that it's not a problem (at least for me) in the overall scheme of things.

Well, do you get CBC blood tests to show your T-Cell count?

You can avoid Magnesium Stearate, but not with Swanson / China Pharma type supplements, nothing from Centrum, nothing in the Pharmacy etc... Plant based real Supplements probably don't have it.

That's funny! Everything between now and Nov 8 is political. When you realize this, things make more sense.

Democrats can't win when the narrative is Economics, Crime or Border protection so the focus has to shift . . .and fast! The polls indicate that people trust the Democrats more for Covid response so why not change the narrative to something that scare people enough to vote for the democrats, (even though RSV is not the same as Covid)?
Very true... plus the Medical/Shots Makers Community has to think up another Plandemic to keep the $$Trillions coming in from Govts... and the Govt needs a CONTROL issue...

RSV is a ubiquitous virus that used to be primarily seen with peaks in winter and now is happening throughout more of the year. Individuals do not build enduring immunity as they can to chickenpox or measles, so one can get it multiple times (even in one season). There is no effective vaccine for RSV
I've noticed more thick mucus in my throat the last week or two, but no cough... figured it for seasonal allergies...

Two of my kids had what sounds like the same thing (younger one was taken to the hospital and treated for croup, twice), and then I quickly contracted it and am only now getting over it.

For each of us it lasted about 5-8 days though, not 3 weeks. At 10 days I would have scheduled a doctor's visit for myself.
I assume you guys are fully Covid/boosted shotted?

Russians must be getting tired or lazy about sending me spam emails, only 188 to delete this morning... and some weren't full of copy/paste to the max, just two or three sentences lately...
Russians must have been working overtime on Saturday, almost a 1,000 spam emails to delete Sunday morning... why can't they just watch college football on Saturdays?

Well, do you get CBC blood tests to show your T-Cell count?
No I don't even have a doctor since I don't get sick.

Aspirin, acetaminophen, prescription meds and prolly even M&Ms contain stearic acid or salts.

Latest posts

Back