What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got up early today to take two aunts to get blood work needed before their doc appt later this month.
I had forgotten the got to work school and office workers rush. I was in the rush. An empty internode train across a cut across back road, and that train is never there. Then back around the other way, and fortunately the train there was just clearing the crossing. Getting it reg traffice and going up the main road. Two different school buses, then a bit later I had to wait for the one lane to change. They are making the road wider for new apartments. Finally I got to the aunts/uncle apartments. Then we went to blood work, and only two school zones.
Then I reversed it all. All before 9 am, and online.

In my life, being without a smartphone is impractical. Logging in to work uses a 2FA app on the phone. Getting service at the DMV requires scheduling an appointment via your phone. Many/most of these don't require GPS so that's why I say that I wish that cellphones had a way to physically turn off the chip, as this would get you 99% of the smartphone capability with minimal privacy intrusion.

WeChat is an instant messaging, payments, and contacts app. According to what I heard, it is even hard to get and pay for a cab without using it which, given the level of censoring in it and cooperation with the regime, is freaky scary.
You can keep the phone at work and login there, you can make your appointment with the DMV every 6 years or whatever from wherever, no need to take it with you on a daily basis.

There is no cab service for me in the boonies, so I have no idea about that. I haven't taken a cab in 25 years probably.

You can't make a DMV appointment on a computer?

I got up early today to take two aunts to get blood work needed before their doc appt later this month.
I had forgotten the got to work school and office workers rush. I was in the rush. An empty internode train across a cut across back road, and that train is never there. Then back around the other way, and fortunately the train there was just clearing the crossing. Getting it reg traffice and going up the main road. Two different school buses, then a bit later I had to wait for the one lane to change. They are making the road wider for new apartments. Finally I got to the aunts/uncle apartments. Then we went to blood work, and only two school zones.
Then I reversed it all. All before 9 am, and online.
Yes... I go NOWHERE during school bus hours. They have to stop 18 times on the Highways for obvious reasons, can't let a bunch of Snot Dragons walk a few blocks. There is no turnouts either, so traffic is backed up.

If I go out at 9:30, I'm safe and I don't see any buses.

I went to the store but forgot the Pepto but found a bottle. Brother is sick. Mom is not feeling great. I'm not feeling so great either but am better than the other day. No nausea but aching and tired.

Ordered the psu for my computer bc it was on Prime day sale and used the $50 gift card my sister got me for my birthday toward it. Earned enough points in Mistplay for a $50 gift card but it takes 48hrs to get it in e-mail and I'm still waiting.

Cats don't like the weather outside so they have been climbing all over me. Just cooked something for Mom and had a salad. I'm about to take a nap. I always nee da nap after eating. Still need to call my uncle but am trying to find the right time when I'm not exhausted.

Slept in, went to the post office to pick up my Prime day packages, went to the store with my brother to get groceries, napped, and called my uncle to check on him.

He's in decent spirits but is stressed. He & his wife had made arrangements a couple of years ago for when they died. He said he still wants to finalize stuff to make things easier for his son & daughter when his time comes. Said his oldest grandson was with him the day they pulled the plug and also when his wife passed. The grandson was being very supportive. Only his daughter had kids & they are all very considerate & nurturing young men & women. I'm glad he wasn't alone. My cousin (uncle's son) was having terrible migraines and couldn't bear to be at the hospital. He took it harder than his sister, but he was closer to the mother than the sister was. My aunt treated him better than she treated his sister.

I'm hoping that my uncle will keep going and be OK. He'll be able to work on his garden again now that he won't be having to take care of his aunt and there is a large support group in his community. The grandkids and my cousins will surely be there for him. Wish we could go visit but travel is out of the question.

Been taking care of Mom the past few days. She's been sick. Fippy has been extra cranky and has taken to growling in his sleep. He's currently leaning on me and grumbling. Yasuke just came over and sat on top of the blanket that's over him so now he's really mad. The weather is nice and cool. If I wasn't so tired I'd go for a walk.

I'll get pics later, but I got my robe hook mounted. That was a royal pain. Screws were not intended to be put in a stud and stripped out. I had trouble getting them back out-- drill wasn't grabbing them-- so I tried to cut them off but ended up scraping the wall and breaking the teeth on the blade. Did end up finally getting them pulled out (they had only gone partway in) and used decking screws. Mom had a kit with tiny screwdrivers of different types that I was able to use on the set screw. I tightened the set screws on the toilet paper holder as well. So, now I have a place to hang my after-shower wrap & hair rag.

Went to Samsclub today and got more water. Then stopped in to Walmart to get more soup & salad. Ate a little chicken, fed mom, and am about to take a nap.

Today was the first day in 3 weeks that we didn’t have company! It felt good to be able to relax.

Back in September some time, a childhood friend of mine visited with his wife to stay with us for a week but he started feeling bad and went to the ER. The ER admitted him and ended up keeping him for three days.

They finally left after the tenth day just in time for my son and his wife to arrive.

My son left Friday and on Saturday, a friend of mine that used to live near us in California and his wife stopped by for the day. They recently moved to Georgia about 3 hours from here.

It’s been a busy three weeks.

Ron, in some ways it makes me glad that I don't have any extra rooms for guests. I can only handle being around people for small periods of time.

Mom wasn't feeling well enough to go to her podiatrist appointment and asked me to call to cancel. I'd just started sneezing & allergy meds hadn't kicked in so I sounded pretty bad on the phone when I called. We'll reschedule when Mom is feeling better.

Got a mild headache and am tired. Kept checking up on Mom last night so I didn't sleep well. Plans for today are to rest.

Mama wanted a new bathroom sink faucet and drain, because she can't understand why steel wool will damage the oil rubbed bronze finish. Her wish was my command. It does make her sink look pretty and shiny. I also adjusted her toilet so it flushes better. 20231016_131729.jpg20231016_121930.jpg

Mama wanted a new bathroom sink faucet and drain, because she can't understand why steel wool will damage the oil rubbed bronze finish. Her wish was my command. It does make her sink look pretty and shiny. I also adjusted her toilet so it flushes better.

When We lived in Elk Grove (South of Sacramento), we had a faucet like your old one. The water was so hard that it left that white scaley deposit on the faucet. I don't think I'd get another faucet like that. Your new faucet is much better.

1697549842597.png

Yes, those open spout faucets really suck. It is only 2 years old, but recently a mesh screen fell from the opening, it splashed water, and looked horrible.

Yeah, that style of faucet looks neat but is not practical. I personally don't like them. And I don't like vessel sinks either. I like the new faucet much better. Looks good.
I like the high arch/gooseneck style ones.

Still not feeling great. Watched a Stud Pack video and some other stuff. Learned something new about plumbing. I never realized that the bend for a P-trap is not symmetrical (I never paid attention) but I learned that the smoother swoop part should be on the drain end and the slightly straighter part should be the end of the trap arm near where it connects to the vent. Saw a Youtube video where someone did the laundry standpipe plumbing completely wrong. Was trying to find a video that shows how to insert a washing machine drain hose into one of those oatey boxes. Saw how to connect drain pipes to the box but need to see how far the hose should be inserted and how to secure it. Not doing that laundry thing right away though. Also changed my mind about how to do the vent pipe for the washing machine so it doesn't conflict with the dryer vent. Looked at my Sketchup pics and saw I can't run it up the right side of the window without conflict but I can run it up the left side. Thinking of simplifying things and putting an Oatey Surevent on it but have it above the flood rim.

There's an atmospheric vent several feet away, but trying to run the pipe to it would be a pain so I'm throwing in the proverbial towel. I'm not sure the existing main vent can handle too much stuff. It will have the tub & toilet & I think it's only a 2" vent. So kitchen sink, washing machine, & lavatory will get AAVs for simplicity. Lav will also have the drain above the flood rim and I'll put it in a louvered wall box up high-- possibly above the vanity light if there is room. But then, it would be hard to check so more likely off to the side somewhere. I'll figure it out when I find the stud locations and mirror location and such. I'll be taking off the wall panels. Kitchen sink I'm wondering if an island loop vent would work for it. There's electrical in the wall behind so I don't want to run into that trying to route a pipe out the wall and the bottom of the window is less than 6" above the flood rim.

Helped Mom figure out how to login to her credit card page. She kept clicking the wrong things. I had to go over, type stuff in, and move the mouse for her. She's terrible at following directions. I will point to something and ask her to click and she'll just stare open-mouthed and move the mouse around to the wrong things. I was saying "Click here please. No HERE." Finally I just asked to use the mouse.

The cats were having a fit because their water fountain stopped working. There was still water in it but it wasn't flowing so they woke me up and walked over to meow at it and at me. I had to unplug it and take it apart to replace the filter and clean crud off of the pump. Wish the fish tank one hadn't stopped working, it cleaned that water really well. Its hard to reach the wall socket due to so much junk I need to get rid of but haven't had the mental fortitude to deal with so I put in a waterproof power strip/surge protector. When I want to work on the fountain I can flip the switch off. One thing I miss about Singapore was that the power outlets all had power switches so you could turn them off. They had something weird where if you tried to plug a 2 prong device into a 3 prong outlet, it wouldn't go unless you pushed something in to the ground prong hole. So, to plug in our soldering irons for electronics class we had to turn the power off to the outlet and then poke the ground port with the soldering iron while pushing the 2 prongs into the other holes. They were sort of rounded rather than flat like US plugs.

Brain is a bit foggy but I'm not feeling terrible. Slept until canned-food-o'clock again. LOL. Itsy was determined to wake me up.

Bladder woke me up early so I was up before the sun came up. Helped Mom to adjust her blankets and leg pillow. Got my brother to help me bring in cases of water from the truck and brought some bottles to Mom's room. Twisted my knee by slipping while going down the front steps so my knee is bugging me a little.

Found the trash knocked over and spread around with the dogs digging through it so I had to clean it up.

My psu delivery got delayed. It's been sitting in the same amazon facility for the past 2 days and the delivery estimate keeps getting bumped back.

I need to go to home depot to get some shelf brackets and a board for a shelf for my new computer. I also have a few things to grab from Samsclub. I'll see if my brother wants to go with me later so we can stop at the Chinese place.

Yeah, that style of faucet looks neat but is not practical. I personally don't like them. And I don't like vessel sinks either. I like the new faucet much better. Looks good.
I like the high arch/gooseneck style ones.

Still not feeling great. Watched a Stud Pack video and some other stuff. Learned something new about plumbing. I never realized that the bend for a P-trap is not symmetrical (I never paid attention) but I learned that the smoother swoop part should be on the drain end and the slightly straighter part should be the end of the trap arm near where it connects to the vent. Saw a Youtube video where someone did the laundry standpipe plumbing completely wrong. Was trying to find a video that shows how to insert a washing machine drain hose into one of those oatey boxes. Saw how to connect drain pipes to the box but need to see how far the hose should be inserted and how to secure it. Not doing that laundry thing right away though. Also changed my mind about how to do the vent pipe for the washing machine so it doesn't conflict with the dryer vent. Looked at my Sketchup pics and saw I can't run it up the right side of the window without conflict but I can run it up the left side. Thinking of simplifying things and putting an Oatey Surevent on it but have it above the flood rim.

Just for clarification, the AAVs don’t have to be above the flood plain. That rule is for atmospheric vents and the plumbing to them. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions but the Oatey Surevent says to “Ensure the AAV will be located a minimum of 4 inches above the horizontal branch wall tube”. On a bathroom lav or kitchen sink, that could be inside the cabinet.
One thing I miss about Singapore was that the power outlets all had power switches so you could turn them off. They had something weird where if you tried to plug a 2 prong device into a 3 prong outlet, it wouldn't go unless you pushed something in to the ground prong hole. So, to plug in our soldering irons for electronics class we had to turn the power off to the outlet and then poke the ground port with the soldering iron while pushing the 2 prongs into the other holes. They were sort of rounded rather than flat like US plugs.
yes, all the outlets I ran into in the South Pacific had the switches on them. Very European. The problem I ran into was some of the Islands are 240volt and some are 120volt. I blew up my electric toothbrush in Samoa but then I only bought devices that could tolerate both 120 or 240 volts.

Oh, I know that the AAVs can be lower, but they can still fill with water if there is a clog if they are too low. So, to be on the safe side I want to get them above the flood rim when possible. The higher the better. Murphy's Law and all that. LOL.

IIRC, Singapore uses 230v at 50Hz. Almost all of their kitchens had floor drains too. Even the outdoor kitchens at the zoo. After mixing up a bunch of feed for animals (using water)-- it was sacks of powdered soy-- we hosed the kitchens down.

This morning I got up and put some Velcro on the APC, the Basket, and the protective hood to make them stick together. The adhesive for one velcro strip did not want to stick to part of the basket and I had to keep rubbing it in and blowing warm air on it with my mouth until it finally stuck. I will probably use some threads to wrap around and hold it on later. I'm still trying to figure out how to stabilize it better so cats won't make it tip off when they sit on it as it hangs over the sides. I also need to get more velcro to attach some sort of plastic shield to cover the vent holes on the side. Not too close to the thing though. I have a face shield from samsclub that I can attach. It can block spray from cats on the side. Hood should protect from anything coming down the top.

I did that before dawn. A few minutes ago I took the shelf board, the hood, some sanding blocks, and some spray paint/primer down to the workshop. I sanded the hood & shelf & wiped them down with a tack cloth before priming them. Took longer to shake the can than it did to paint. No gloves or protective gear and didn't get a drop of paint on myself. Watch me derp and get it all over me later. LOL. I'm going to give the primer some time to dry before giving it a light sanding.

The shelf will be painted white but the hood:

LOL. I've liked that song ever since the TV series "Tour of Duty" used it as the opening theme.

Today was winterizing the Lawn mower day, and as I was driving it around the yard to let the Sta-Bil mix with the fuel, I was wondering if I could just drive it to the store a few miles away. People drive giant John Deere's down the roads all the time. People drive them to the Bars all the time also. Drinking is the only professional sport here.

Parked the mower in the garage and will do the maintenance tomorrow.

I always try to learn something every day... Today I learned that although Broccoli is in the Dog Cookies I make, giving him a few handfuls of Broccoli isn't a good idea, unless I know that people coming over are people I would rather didn't come over, and then he will get a whole bag of Broccoli. "Anytime you want to come on over, just let me know... bring a clothes pin for your nose and a 6 pack!"

I painted the hood black and the shelf white. Probably needs another coat.
But I just woke up and wanted a snack and found my youngest cat, Temjin, dead on the floor lying up against the living room door on her side with her legs out. Head was tucked against her chest and it looked like she crapped. She was fine earlier when I went to bed. I petted her. She kept wanting to go into the corner near the door between the door & the chest of drawers, but that wasn't unusual.

I hope it wasn't from the lamp oil from the lamp she knocked over on the shelf earlier. I tried to clean it up and she didn't look like she had any on her, but I wonder if she got it on her fur and licked it off before I could get to her. She didn't have any symptoms of problems though. I'm going to have to clean everything up there more thoroughly, but it happened when I was having really bad coordination & was exhausted.

I put her in the freezer for now and will try to find a shovel to bury her in the morning.

Latest posts

Back