What is this mold? White furry looking stuff?!?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billbill84

Reaction score
Hi all. So I've noticed this white furry looking stuff on the rim joist area of basement. Nothing's ever moist or wet down there and RH is never over 40%
There's two spots that look like old cob webs but further back in there I see it on subfloor but on subfloor it's a bunch of tiny furry looking balls about 1/4" or smaller in size (see pics).
Is this white mold or cob webs or what?!? ThxIMG_4656.JPGIMG_4661.jpgIMG_4662.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to dilute bleach 50/50 with water and spray the area. Then try to remove the humidity from the area.

Time to dilute bleach 50/50 with water and spray the area. Then try to remove the humidity from the area.
Copy I'll try that. This is a single open area of a fully finished basement so it's the only spot I can see it. Not sure how it got there last owners ran a dehu 24/7 and I do same 24/7 in summer and RH is NEVER above 40%. Actually about 30 in summer and 35% in winter. I'm running two 70pt dehu's down there.

I think it is from spiders catching other insects.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Especially because of the same stuff that's just a bunch of small round balls that aren't on the rim but hanging on the bottom of the subfloor. A buddy of mine said it looks like a spider coon or spider eggs.
None of it is flat or spread flat along the surface like mold so that's another reason I'm thinking insects/spiders

As kids, we used to call those spider eggs.
I think some spiders do spin a little ball around their baby spiders.
But they also spin those to wrap up their dinner victims.

Back