What's an inexpensive but presentable way to pad a concrete basement floor for a home gym?

Help Support House Repair Talk:

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
I need to cover at least the area where I have my plate weights, but ideally I'd like to cover a good deal more than that, like 50-100+ sqft. It also has to look decent.

I thought about buying a bunch of those black spongy puzzle-piece tiles but even at auction they're a lot pricier than I'd like, and they usually come in packs of six tiles that only cover something like 6x4 feet total. So I'd need to gradually amass a bunch of them, and I can't be sure the different sets will all fit together. So I've pretty much nixed that option.

I don't need the padding to be super thick, just enough to provide some cushion underfoot for when I do squats and lunges and stuff, and to protect the concrete and lessen the noise when I set weights down. (I try to always set weights down carefully and gently but it's still really loud right now.)

What are your suggestions? Is there something I can buy in a big roll maybe? Or something that's normally used in another way but would suit my purposes well?

Flyover

Trying not to screw things up worse
Reaction score
@oldognewtrick That's considerably more expensive than what I'm hoping to find. Maybe if some place auctions off a bunch of them or something...