What's for Dinner & Our Recipes...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckGrump

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't help to notice how many males cook, and have knowledge about cooking... Some of the things you have described over time, do sound delicious... So... I thought it would be GREAT to have a tread on cooking, whats for dinner, and recipes... Looking forward to seeing some more of your GREAT ideas...

I used to make this once per week and eat a piece every morning with milk or cream poured over. I added raisins to the recipe and I suppose fruit could be added with some experimentation.

Baked Oatmeal

3 cups rolled wheat or rolled oats or rolled 9-grain
3/4 cup of sugar or honey or molasses or evaporated cane sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon or vanilla, etc.
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk or soy beverage or Almond milk
2 tbsp. butter or olive oil or coconut oil
2 eggs, beaten

Bake at 350 degrees for 40--45 minutes. Cut like a cake and serve with milk on it.

French Onion Soup...

In a large pot put in these Ingredients and let boil softly for 2 - 3 hours
  • ½ cup
    Unsalted Butter
  • 2 tablespoons
    Olive Oil
  • 4 cups
    Spanish Onions (sliced)
  • 5 cups
    Beef Broth
  • 2 tablespoons
    Dry Sherry
  • 1 teaspoon
    Dried Thyme
  • 1 pinch
    Salt And Pepper (to taste)

4 slices
French Bread toasted with butter... and cut into cubes and place in a ziplock bag... and shake with a little bit of garlic...

Before putting in the oven in bowls @ 300 degrees and your croutons
  • 4 slices
    Provolone Cheese
  • 2 slices
    Swiss Cheese (diced)
  • ¼ cup
    Parmesan Cheese (grated)
Hope YOU enjoy it as I do...

I had to compromise a bit. I had one medium white onion and a small can of chicken broth. I asked google about the broth and it said they used it in Paris so I forged ahead. I sliced the onion and sauted in butter until caramelized then added broth and seasoning. Also no dry sherry so a little cabernet sauvignon. It's now simmering but a taste test proved right tasty.

Last edited:
Thanks to your precious lady for the onion soup recipe. I was looking for canned onion soup in the market and am I ever so glad that I didn't find any. The recipe is easily adaptable and quite delicious.

Back