When to stop sanding with aggressive grit?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psanoja

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just recently refinished the floors in the sunroom and now I'm doing the rest (dining room, living room and a bedroom). I have sanded the floors three times with grit 36 and, while the old polyurethane is gone, the wood looks of uneven color. I know how it is supposed to look (like in the sunroom), but I see at least three different colors (salmon, light orange and pinkish-white). My question is: how many times is one too many sandings with aggressive grit? Will the appearance improve as I switch to higher grits? The floors are about 100-120 years old. It's tongue and groove, but it's an inch thick. It's fir. I've shaved about a tenth of an inch--perhaps less than that. See pics attached. Pic 1 is the current job. Pic 2 of how they're supposed to look once refinished.

Attachments

• Floors 1.JPG
    Floors 1.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Floors 2.JPG
    Floors 2.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 10
If you've removed the old finish, sanded out any imperfections, you may be at a point of its as good as it's gonna get.
I guess that’s true. I’ll continue the sanding process.
I will need filler. I bought Pall X Kitt floor filler, but this is my first time using it. In your opinion, at what stage of the sanding process is best to apply the filler?

Job’s done. The grain is really busy, plus some features I couldn’t see came out after the polyurethane was applied.5FFA18D1-3E08-4178-AC56-B0DCF6521E76.jpeg4987E9B6-483B-4846-AD50-390F01B0871C.jpeg14F13B34-F0D4-4013-A189-D6F193640F7C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. When I did ours I selected a semi gloss finish and it seemed to be a little more forgiving. Projects like this seem to get us super focused when first done. Once you get the stuff in the room and live with it you will forget every little details and just love it. :thumb:

Back