where to get white aluminium outside corner/miter for 5-inch gutter with 1-inch top edge???

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMHmedchem

Reaction score
Hello,

I am extending a part of my gutter around a corner. I thought it would be fairly simple but I am having trouble finding parts. The gutter that is on my house has a top lip that is 1-inch high. This is the square top front edge of the gutter. The face of the square is 1-inch high where the available replacement parts have a face that is only 1/2-inch high. Looking around online, the dimensions of these parts is not given, so how am I supposed to buy what I need. I need an outside corner and also a few feet of gutter. I could probably manage to use the gutter with the smaller face trim if I had the corner. I might be able to get it to look ok.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

LMHmedchem

Home Depot has one listed on their website.
The problem is that the Home Depot model doesn't fit what I have on the house.

type-K_profiles.png

The Home Depot part conforms to the diagram above where the "D" dimension (the smaller D on the front edge) for the 5K (5-inch wide gutter) is about 1/2-inch. For the gutter on my house, the height of D is 1-inch, like it is for the 6K and 8K versions here.

Since the existing gutter needs to insert into the corner piece, it just doesn't fit when the D on the corner is half the size of the D on the gutter.

LMHmedchem

Before I say this, please know I have never really worked on gutters (only downspouts) so this might be stupid:

Could you use a hacksaw to carefully join the two gutters at 90° (so cut each one at 45° like a miter joint), leaving maybe an inch of extra length on the "higher" one and use tin snips to turn that extra length into flaps that you can bend to fit inside the lower one? Then use some kind of metal-adhering waterproof caulk along the inside of the joint.

(🦆🦆)

Their are youtube videos showing how to make the corner but it still would require gutter stock that matches the profile. If the original is a seamless gutter it may not match any big box store stock so maybe check the profile with some seamless gutter contractors.

Before I say this, please know I have never really worked on gutters (only downspouts) so this might be stupid:

Could you use a hacksaw to carefully join the two gutters at 90° (so cut each one at 45° like a miter joint), leaving maybe an inch of extra length on the "higher" one and use tin snips to turn that extra length into flaps that you can bend to fit inside the lower one? Then use some kind of metal-adhering waterproof caulk along the inside of the joint.

(🦆🦆)
That's how it's done, but you need to leave extra on one side to overlap the other. Then it's caulked and riveted. Most professional, well, a lot of gutter companies hand cut corners.

Back