Whole hose fan with "trusses "

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat64

Reaction score
Thoughts or suggestions welcomed:

A buddy gave me a new 36 inch whole house fan -- attached are pictures from inside attic on 2 story colonial -center -right of vertical web shown ( symmetrical opposite ) , Trusses are 24 " on center . I would like to put the fan around 1-2 feet left of the center vertical web and centered on the "bottom chord " of one truss -- ,

My options are :
A ) Cut the 15 degree "web " and reinforce it
B ) Build a plywood riser high enough to clear the "web " and a Plywood cage down to the actual ceiling .
or
C ) Not installing it at all !

Additional information : house was build in 1970 . Non -permitted work has been done over the years by various owners

thanks

B

119_1929.jpg 119_1928.jpg Pictures would help !

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, explain why you think you need this fan.

What situation are you trying to remedy or improve?

Second, in my experience near Chicago, whole house fans were a foolish brief fad in approx the 70’s to 80’s, then died out.

I do not see them anywhere, anymore.
They were noisy and inefficient.

Slightly useful for a few months a year, when furnace and a/c were not running.

In most cases, what was really needed was either improvement to attic venting, such as clearing out blocked soffit vents, or adding an attic vent fan on the roof to pull out heat or moisture.

If it were my house I'd look at different options. I'm not a believer of talking moist air from the living space and dumping it in the attic. Enough moisture migrates as it is. Trapping moist air in an attic cavity creates another set of issues.

Latest posts

Back