Will these screw work fine if I happen to drill into stud

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Corbino

Reaction score
Hanging newbie here…

So I bought a drywall anchor kit to install a 3 tier industrial pipe style Amazon bathroom shelf, and wanted to know if I happen to find a stud (considering the shelf isn’t a perfect 16 inch or so), would I be fine using the #8 1 1/2 screw included in the kit directly into the stud. It calls for a 5/16 pilot hole, and I’m curious whether that would cause any issues drilling into the stud as well. IMG_1056.jpeg

The 5/16 is the size for the anchor to pass thru. Always drill a much smaller hole first to see if you hit a stud. The size drill to use is one close to the minor diameter of the screw thread. If wood chips come out you know you are in a stud. If you break thru into air you know you are in the cavity. You could still be right next to a stud. I sometimes take a straightened out paper clip and curve it a little to probe around in the smaller hole to see if a stud is close by. When you see you are good open the hole to 5/16.

I generally look for studs first then go to anchors if studs don't work out (I use a stud finder).

I generally look for studs first then go to anchors if studs don't work out (I use a stud finder).
So when I do find a stud and can go into it, is it safe to just use the #8 1 1/2 screws that was provided with the kit?

The 5/16 is the size for the anchor to pass thru. Always drill a much smaller hole first to see if you hit a stud. The size drill to use is one close to the minor diameter of the screw thread. If wood chips come out you know you are in a stud. If you break thru into air you know you are in the cavity. You could still be right next to a stud. I sometimes take a straightened out paper clip and curve it a little to probe around in the smaller hole to see if a stud is close by. When you see you are good open the hole to 5/16.
I put my 5/16 bit against the head of the screws provided and the 5/16 bit is slightly smaller than the head of the screw… are you saying if I use this bit as a pilot hole and try to drive the screws provided into the stud it’ll spin (since you mention the 5/16 bit is for the anchor?)

Sorry I’m confused on what drill bit size I should use then if I want to screw in only the screws into the stud.

I put my 5/16 bit against the head of the screws provided and the 5/16 bit is slightly smaller than the head of the screw… are you saying if I use this bit as a pilot hole and try to drive the screws provided into the stud it’ll spin (since you mention the 5/16 bit is for the anchor?)

Sorry I’m confused on what drill bit size I should use then if I want to screw in only the screws into the stud.
The pilot hole into the stud would be smaller than the screw that came in the package. You don't need a pilot for that going into a pine stud, the pilot is just to determine if there is a stud where you want the screw. If you find the stud with a stud finder you wouldn't even need a pilot hole.

When I grew up there was no such thing as a stud finder and if you were good you could get an idea by tapping on the wall and trying to hear the sound change. Back in those days most wall were plaster and there was lath and metal mesh and expanding fasteners were called molly bolts.

Thus the reason for testing with a small drill first.

It is fine to use a stud finder but most likely whatever you are attaching has to go where it has to go so the chances of hitting a stud are slim. But just when you think the odds are with you is when you will hit one and if you drill the 5/16 hole you are in trouble or as my dad would say SOL.

You can power a wood screw into a soft wood stud without a pilot hole but if screwing by hand it is easier with a pilot hole and the screw will hold just as good.

To figure out the pilot drill size hold the drill along the screw and you want one that is the size of the bottom of the threads diameter.

Back