wiring outdoor patio string lighting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Dman100-

Reaction score
My wife and I are wanting to hang some string lights in our outside patio (see attached image of the patio ceiling and walls). We are wanting to hang the string lights in the front of the patio centered with two loops as shown in the other attached image. From the center point in the front, we want to hang two additional string lights that hang to each back corner of the patio.

We are looking on Amazon for some good commercial grade lights that we can also swap out bulbs for different occasions and atmosphere.

We are planning on getting an electrician to put in an electrical outlet in the ceiling in the back corner of the patio where the lights can plug in. However, we aren't sure how to get all the lights connected at one point? It seems we would need to splice the line and have them connect at the center point in the front, but are not sure how to do this?

Any recommendations on how to get the lights to connect properly so they can be plugged in from one location?

Thanks.

how_light_should_hang.jpg

patio.jpg

If I have one long string of lights, how would I string them so there is no overlap? I would think I need to cut the line and splice together to get the correct layout?

I would find the center of the cord and hang that in the center, plug it into the outlet in the corner and either do some math or just play with the loops you want until you have that side looking acceptable and then match that on the other side.

Since you have a fan in the middle, and the lights will be above the blades of the fan, you will have an annoying shadow every time a blade passes a light. Consider hanging the lights around the perimeter.

Back