Wood around Shelf

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krich

Reaction score
Does anybody know if there is a kit for wood to go around a metal shelf to make it appear to be a cabinet?

I like the Tier Adjustable Metal Storage Shelves like they sell on Amazon (and other places) because they are inexpensive and very sturdy

So, rather than building a cabinet, I was wondering if there was a kit available someplace of wood to strap on to the metal shelf including doors for the front so the metal shelf looks like a wood cabinet in the end with doors on the front along with wood on the side (back can be left open since it's not in view)

That way when it's placed up against a wall it looks just like a nice cabinet with 2 from doors.

If I cannot find a kit for this to purchase someplace, of course the next step would be to build something... I just thought I'd ask to see if anybody knew of a kit that can be purchased for this.

Seems like an inexpensive way to have a cabinet versus buying a cabinet which can be pretty expensive (I need 3 cabinets in my kitchen for storage)

Here's an example of the metal shelf I'd like to use for the project:
Pic1__JPEG.jpg

I have never seen anything like that in a kit form. You could buy a large open cabinet with doors and place yours inside.

I have seen racks like yours fitted up with a fabric surround to hide the contents.

I guess I'm just being cheap since a custom cabinet is expensive

I tinker with wood working but I don't have the equipment needed to be able to do this myself. I'd be out there trying to make straight cuts off the back of my truck's tailgate

Which, I guess wouldn't have to be perfect if using trim

You might use face frame technique with ¼" plywood inside. The face frames would serve as trim and hide any wandering plywood cuts.

I was thinking the wood would be on the outside and totally cover the shelf including doors in the front.

The end result being what appears to be a cabinet... built around the metal shelf

I was thinking the wood would be on the outside and totally cover the shelf including doors in the front.

The end result being what appears to be a cabinet... built around the metal shelf
The face frame gives the thin plywood rigidity when it's glued and brad nailed to the inside of the face frame. Basically you build a frame (using a pocket hole jig) slightly larger than the side of the metal shelf. Cut the plywood smaller than the frame. Brad nail and glue the plywood to the inside of the frame. Now you have one side of the cabinet. This technique can be used for sides and top. The back can be cheaper hardboard. You will have to design the bottom taking into consideration if you want to be able to move it w/o disassembly. Doors are made the same way as the panels.

This is similar to how it might look.
1644262325556.png

A joint closeup.
1644262454867.png

THe difference in my easy build is that I don't float panels in a dado slots. I build the frame and glue and brad nail the thin plywood to cover the entire back of the frame. The plywood is cut smaller than the width of the frame so the edge won't interfere with hinge mounts or inset doors. Also the plywood cut doesn't have to be precise. I buy the wood for the frame in the width I need and use glue, pocket holes and screws for the butt joints.

Tell me when to shut up. One might attach wooden side panels to shelf with broom holders to snap on the verticals or fashion some sort of wooden clamps. Leave the top open or cut a piece of cardboard to serve as a dust cover and leave the back open. Then design doors to fit.

1644284048473.png

Last edited:
Back