Wood vrs Steel post beam support

Discussion in 'Framing and Foundation' started by mschmit, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Dec 30, 2008 #1

mschmit

mschmit

mschmit

F22-Guru

Bought a 150 year old Victorian where the main house beam is supported by brick and mortar posts that are crumbling. I'd like to jack up the beam and replace the 3 existing support structures. 2 questions … after I put in a proper 12x12 foundation, is a steel support better than a wood post (existing span is about 8 feet currently supporting a 2 story structure with converted attic … existing beam is 10x12). From what I’ve read on this forum already, a 6x8 solid post would work. No idea what size steel post would work. And as far as a steel post, would the adjustable 3” units sold at Home Depot work (they support 8000#). And along that same like, could I use 2 of them for jack posts to lift the beam for the initial demolition?

2. Dec 31, 2008 #2

triple D

triple D

triple D

I dont like to see metal under houses, just in them. Some may disagree, but oh well. How old is the wood beam? ya, I would use wood, a 6x6 will work fine. It does not have to be pressure treated, but I always throw a rip of roofing paper under it. Make sure you pour concrete on flat hard dry dirt. Pour in a cardboard, or homemade plywood footing. Should be 10" thick, and at least24x24" wide. Should put in a little re-bar. Maybe a 14x14" square at mid height in pour. You could sink a simpson bracket in concrete to mount post to, or if your not expecting an earthquake, just set it on block, and nail or screw to underside of beam. I typically raise beam 1/4" and cut post to fit tight, then drop it down and move to next one. An automotive bottle jack should work fine. I'm rambling again, good luck .......

3. Jan 1, 2009 #3

glennjanie

glennjanie

glennjanie

Welcome Mschmit:
    The wood post will work, howver, make sure you have full bearing for the wide beam, putting the post in the center and use a 6 X 6 block as long as the beam is wide. Two of the basement jack posts will work to raise the load temporarily and there should be a footing below the old posts. If it hasn't sunk over the years, I wouldn't expect it to now.
    Glenn