Attic Reno Wiring Advice needed

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarissaJadeMUP

Reaction score
Hi, my husband and I are working on an attic rennovation and we plan to do the work ourselves, and cannot afford an electrician. We've done some basic electrical before and are reasonably confident, but I'm hoping for some advice from those who are more experienced before we get started.

So there is an existing ceiling light, on a 15 amp breaker with a couple of outlets on it located in another room. We plan to wire from here a light switch that controls 4 LED recessed lights and a small ceiling fan that also has a light.

Additionally, from a 20 amp breaker circuit that currently is running 2 outlets and a light on it from in an adjacent room we'd like to run a 2 new electrical outlets.

Finally, from a 3rd breaker (20 amp) that is accessible to this room currently powering a ceiling fan and 3 outlets, we'd like to run a hardwired electrical heater and an outlet.

Is this a feasible plan? Do you have any advice on doing this right the first time?

Welcome.
Are these 3 rooms all in the attic, and are you upgrading all 3?

In my practice I do not mix lights and plugs, so I would run all the lights and fan from the 15A breaker, and all the receptacles from one of the 20A circuits and depending upon the amperage of the heater, dedicate the other 20A circuit.

I agree. If possible, the receptacles (outlets) should be on 20 amp circuits and the heater separate circuit.

Back