Basement bathroom shower - need layout ideas

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob350

Reaction score
Hey all, looking at putting a basement shower in.
The basement, and in particular the basement bathroom has been un touched since the previous owners. Walls, sink, toilet, and a space for a shower (can feel the drain in the floor). House was built in 2008 for a reference.

I have done up a sketch showing the room layout and some dimensions, as well as a couple pictures to put it into perspective.

basement%20bathroom%20current%20layout_zpskymujtus.png

20160216_143014_zpsaqjpwwo2.jpg

20160216_143049_zps2gzm8slg.jpg

The 67" wall is an exterior wall, composed of metal studs (I believe 24" centres)

I had wanted to put in a pre made enclosure for simplicity hence some measurements are stud - stud. But it appears who ever did the framing may have been trying to do a 36x36 but ended up leaving me with only 35" of room. So I think I have came to the realization that I will have to learn to tile/put in a tile shower.

One option would be building a wall beside the toilet(aprox 19" i think) to create a 35"x35" or so square tiled shower. The remainder of the 67" wall would be a small dry off area since there is no room in front of the toilet for drying off.
I suspect building that 19" wall would really make the room seem small/cramped.

Another option one guy mentioned was sort of a semi wet room/walk in shower idea. Just end up tiling/seal the entire 35x67 area. Put up a piece of glass beside the toilet to create the shower area. Probably put the shower head on the 16 3/4" wall (or above, never tried a shower head that is directly above though).
And the other end of the "shower" would never get too wet and that would be the dry off area.
This might help keep it far more open looking.

Thoughts? Any other ideas? Tips? Need some help on ideas here guys.
Probably end up doing some sort of a drop ceiling (i hear there are bathroom/moisture rated ceiling tiles).
FYI the first picture you can see the main beam, and in the very top of the picture there is a little shine from the big main duct from the forced air heating. Should I tap into this and add in a heat vent? I wonder if a walk in shower type idea could seem cold since the area would seem so open (cold basement, cold climate)

QUOTE""
Another option one guy mentioned was sort of a semi wet room/walk in shower idea. Just end up tiling/seal the entire 35x67 area. Put up a piece of glass beside the toilet to create the shower area. Probably put the shower head on the 16 3/4" wall (or above, never tried a shower head that is directly above though).
And the other end of the "shower" would never get too wet and that would be the dry off area.

Sounds good to me, just remember to pitch the floor tile to the drain. And use concrete board with a paint on membrane to seal the room from moisture.

The wall corner behind the toilet could also be trimmed down to fit a 36 inch unit. They also make smaller units.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me, just remember to pitch the floor tile to the drain. And use concrete board with a paint on membrane to seal the room from moisture.

The wall corner behind the toilet could also be trimmed down to fit a 36 inch unit. They also make smaller units.

Would the entire bathroom need to be concrete board/sealed, or just the tiled portion?

In otherwords, do I need to redo the walls in the entire room or is the existing drywall in the non shower area ok?

If your suggesting re doing the whole room, is that because of the walk in shower style? Would a closed in shower (door/curtain) not require the whole room to be redone?

Hey all, looking at putting a basement shower in.
The basement, and in particular the basement bathroom has been un touched since the previous owners. Walls, sink, toilet, and a space for a shower (can feel the drain in the floor). House was built in 2008 for a reference.

Regarding taping into a heating duct;Is the rest of the basement presently unconditioned? Is there also access to the heating appliances return air system? How or had you planned on exhausting the moisture laden air generated by use of the shower.

A small space heater may be more economical.

I had wanted to put in a pre made enclosure for simplicity hence some measurements are stud - stud. But it appears who ever did the framing may have been trying to do a 36x36 but ended up leaving me with only 35" of room. So I think I have came to the realization that I will have to learn to tile/put in a tile shower.

The aesthetics can drain your budget and there are available any number of wall treatments designed for this application which can have a less dramatic result, as well as being aesthetically appealing.

That is a viable option and along with a two wall glass enclosure.

Thoughts? Any other ideas? Tips? Need some help on ideas here guys.
Probably end up doing some sort of a drop ceiling (i hear there are bathroom/moisture rated ceiling tiles).

Keep in mind that if this is to be casually use, unconditioned space, easy maintenance would be a priority.

Regarding taping into a heating duct;Is the rest of the basement presently unconditioned? Is there also access to the heating appliances return air system? How or had you planned on exhausting the moisture laden air generated by use of the shower.

A small space heater may be more economical.

There is one finished bedroom downstairs (directly behind the shower/toilet), the rest of the basement area has finished walls/floor. Need to do the ceiling, and possibly add in 2 walls to create another bedroom out of the massive open area.
Nothing downstairs has a cold air return, only the upstairs bedrooms and upstairs hallway have a cold air return. But the cold air return ductwork is directly above the bathroom as well so it would be possible to add one in fairly easily.
Was planning not too add in a cold air return since it currently does not, but never really thought about it. As you mention later the bathroom would not be used very often.
The utility room is directly behind the wall opposite of the 35" wall. So any heating ducts may have to be fairly small/restricted since it would be getting the most hot air/return sucking.

The aesthetics can drain your budget and there are available any number of wall treatments designed for this application which can have a less dramatic result, as well as being aesthetically appealing.

That is a viable option and along with a two wall glass enclosure.

Keep in mind that if this is to be casually use, unconditioned space, easy maintenance would be a priority.

True. What options would you be thinking? I'm open for ideas, the walk in shower idea does sound expensive for a basement shower.
"two wall glass enclosure"?

There is one finished bedroom downstairs (directly behind the shower/toilet), the rest of the basement area has finished walls/floor. Need to do the ceiling, and possibly add in 2 walls to create another bedroom out of the massive open area.

I use 1-5/8 25ga. steel studs for these applications.

Nothing downstairs has a cold air return, only the upstairs bedrooms and upstairs hallway have a cold air return. But the cold air return ductwork is directly above the bathroom as well so it would be possible to add one in fairly easily.
Was planning not too add in a cold air return since it currently does not, but never really thought about it. As you mention later the bathroom would not be used very often.

Do you know if the comfort heating appliance was sized or can be easily converted to a size that would efficiently provide comfort heating to the whole house?

Budgeting for contingency, would you list the dwelling for sale, with and sized as including the basement living space, as used?

If so, you'll need to provide comfort heating.

The utility room is directly behind the wall opposite of the 35" wall. So any heating ducts may have to be fairly small/restricted since it would be getting the most hot air/return sucking.

This is controlled by adjustable supply and return.

True. What options would you be thinking? I'm open for ideas, the walk in shower idea does sound expensive for a basement shower.
"two wall glass enclosure"?

Were it me, I would use some form of easily installed and maintained wall covering, tiled floor, ceiling shower head, two glass panel wall either attached or stood off the floor 1/2", a hard ceiling in the bathroom area, painted with oil based paint and a small vent exhaust fan.

The more cumbersome maintenance is, the less frequently it is accomplished.

Do you know if the comfort heating appliance was sized or can be easily converted to a size that would efficiently provide comfort heating to the whole house?

Budgeting for contingency, would you list the dwelling for sale, with and sized as including the basement living space, as used?

If so, you'll need to provide comfort heating.

This is controlled by adjustable supply and return.

Were it me, I would use some form of easily installed and maintained wall covering, tiled floor, ceiling shower head, two glass panel wall either attached or stood off the floor 1/2", a hard ceiling in the bathroom area, painted with oil based paint and a small vent exhaust fan.

The more cumbersome maintenance is, the less frequently it is accomplished.

My apologies, I should have clarified maybe, the basement HVAC (just heating in this case via forced air) supplies heat for the whole house (upstairs, and basement). The basement heat would have been done from the builder (there is heating ducts in the basement bedroom, one in the area for the future bedroom, and 2 in the living space down there. Typically I have not seen (honestly don't recall ever seeing) cold air returns in a basement in the past (I'm in Alberta, Canada)
It would have been spec'ed from day one for heating the whole house. There simply is no vent in the basement bathroom, so one option was easily adding one in if it would be a good idea.

Not entirely sure of the context of the question, but yes. Currently the basement has one finished bedroom (large size), partial bathroom as shown, and a big open space with basic finished walls and floor. The big open space has a area off to the one side that would be meant to be converted into a bedroom (my plan once the bathroom is done) via 2 walls, a door, and building a closet.
All that would remain is a ceiling in the open area and the basement would be finished. Then yes if I were to sell one day it would be considered living space as that would help the resale and make it more of a full size family home.

I don't follow what you mean by two glass panel wall. As in one piece of glass beside the toilet, and another acting as the door to create a 35x35 or so shower?
I like this idea as well. Keep it "open" looking with the glass, while not going to all the work of the big walk in shower.

There's no doorway in the sketch; is that where you shot the pix from? Also, no sink in this bathroom?
Yes, the first pic you can see the door handle on the left. (door open, I'm standing in the door way). The pedestal sink is to the right of the toilet. Want to end up putting in a more normal sink (cupboard underneath for storage since there really in NONE in the room), but wall to toilet is only 23" not typical 24... Might put in a skinnier toilet to allot room for a normal sink.

All that would remain is a ceiling in the open area and the basement would be finished. Then yes if I were to sell one day it would be considered living space as that would help the resale and make it more of a full size family home.

Thanks for the clarification.

I'd prefer to assume, until corrected, because there are so many home owners who "hope" nobody notices, that those habitability requirements have been overlooked, to qualify my concerns.

I don't follow what you mean by two glass panel wall. As in one piece of glass beside the toilet, and another acting as the door to create a 35x35 or so shower?
I like this idea as well. Keep it "open" looking with the glass, while not going to all the work of the big walk in shower.

Your assumption is correct for the glass.

Want to end up putting in a more normal sink (cupboard underneath for storage since there really in NONE in the room), but wall to toilet is only 23" not typical 24... Might put in a skinnier toilet to allot room for a normal sink.

There are also specific space requirements for a toilet IE., WC and as I recall they are 30" wide and 48" deep, so keep that in mind when sizing the pullman.

Back