california going dry

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As of this morning supposedly the metropolitan water district who supplies many of the local districts with water is going to cut water by 20% in a few months.

Mr. Jerry brown says there will be fines of 500 a day for using too much water. We are being told to take five minute or less showers.

they gottta get the money to pay for all the new welfare recipients that are showing up'

5 minute bath f.gif tell my 45 minute wife that!!!!

you better have the door open and the truck running when you do :rofl::rofl:

I cant wait to see the morning news to see what they come up with for another reason to conserve or what kind of fines we can expect for watering our 30 year old lawn.

This is the new deal our guys came up with, it will surely slow them down:(

Starting in 2016, corporations will be charged $2.25 for every one million litres of water they extract

Speaking of going dry, the coyotes keep chewing through my drip lines to get water. I know I could sit up all night for a week and shoot all the coyotes but I figured against my neighbor who doesn't want them around I buried a bucket in the ground that is filled off my drip line. Maybe that will keep them from tearing up my irrigation?

View attachment 8850

Chris
I understand your desire to protect your drip lines and can even understand why you might not want to dispatch the coyotes permanently. I don’t know how close the drip lines are to your dwelling but I would assume fairly close as most people living in a desert area build for themselves a tiny oasis around their home and leave the rest to nature.

I personally wouldn’t want to share my oasis with the coyotes. They need two things to survive water is the most important and second is food. A source of water will keep them around. Sometimes solving one problem will cause a larger problem.

I would be opposed to anything except getting them as far away as I could from my house. We never used to have coyotes around here I never heard of them being native to this area until maybe 20 years ago. We have an abundance of water and lots of game and the population has exploded but they remain little problems as they stay in the wild areas feeding on white tail deer on down. I know farmers that will drag a road kill deer into a field with the intent of killing the coyotes at dusk and will come back within 2 hours to find the carcass stripped to a pile of bones. That’s something like 150 pounds of meat gone that fast, and a good judge of the number of them around here.

IMHO helping them in any way is the wrong direction to go.

That's where I'm torn. I don't want to help them either but I'm tired of fixing irrigation. These lines are about 300 feet from my house on my lower fence line. I'm thinking I will just continue my fence around the property and be done with them. Only need a few thousand feet of fence.

fence will not stop them...make a depression out of concrete. put one of your drippers in it.

let it water the wild life, if they have a pool, they will leave the drippers alone.

it is not only the yotes, its rats, mice, and other varmets.

better yet, dig a pond, stock it with cat fish

wrap your dripper lines with chicken wire or something similar, or replace them with metal. (with little tiny holes in them??:eek: )

Last edited:
fire up the BBQ pit....when I was in the Philippines. dog was quite tasty....taste like chicken LOL

What would you have them do.

That I don't know exactly but I would not start out with things are good and then a week later start threatening fines so high no one could afford them. There needs to be some sort of transition or incentive other than getting fined and potential jail time for using a service you pay for. Maybe start with the things that use the majority of the water, golf courses, water parks, water districts, cities and the like. Don't tell me I need to kill my lawn when the entire city has acres upon acres of grass in all the islands and along side roads that is irrigated and only there to be pretty.

All I am saying is that lets look at the whole problem and realistic solutions before we start threatening people. Also lets stop trying to make this arid desert into something it's not.

That I don't know exactly but I would not start out with things are good and then a week later start threatening fines so high no one could afford them. There needs to be some sort of transition or incentive other than getting fined and potential jail time for using a service you pay for. Maybe start with the things that use the majority of the water, golf courses, water parks, water districts, cities and the like. Don't tell me I need to kill my lawn when the entire city has acres upon acres of grass in all the islands and along side roads that is irrigated and only there to be pretty.

All I am saying is that lets look at the whole problem and realistic solutions before we start threatening people. Also lets stop trying to make this arid desert into something it's not.

I agree with all of that, I think the talking should have started month ago, with puplic hearings, as it is your likely going to have real hard feeling between the north and south. You guys loose lawns, they will loose livelyhood and property value, I'm afraid it will get ugle, when what is needed is people all working for a common goal.

I can understand how you all got to where you are and why it is such a big part of the economy, backing out of that system is going to be painfull for everyone, including people across the country and beyond.

I have two things holding me in this state, one is my grandparents, they are the only family I have left here and don't want me to leave until after they are gone, second is my company, I do well here so it would be a huge transition to start that over somewhere else although it could be done. If it weren't for those two reasons I would be gone already, I truly do not overly enjoy living here, I hate the fact that if I want to go anywhere I have to sit in traffic for hours, it's hot as hell in the summer and we get no rain in the winter (Arid desert). The cost of living in through the roof and there is no neighborly love, no one gets together to do anything anymore, just a bunch of grumpy *** people living next to each other and everyone is so far over extended trying to keep up with the Jones that we all work 7 days a week or can't afford to go out and do anything because of all the fancy crap we own. It's really quite depressing watching it all the time. People out here live to work and thats it. Where else can you make 45 bucks an hour and your wife make good money and you still can't afford to go out to dinner on a saturday night? Where else is it more important to pay 5 grand a month for a house and 1500 a month in cars to not be able to afford to drive them, it's crazy. Living in SoCal is truly not as enjoyable as some make it out to be. I will be done with my little rant now. I just hope I can get out before my daughters realize what they are growing up in.

Back to the water part, that should have been talked about 20+ years ago, I remember growing up in a small town in the mountains and we had big signs asking us to conserve, heck back then I don't know how we could have any more, heck no one in town even had a lawn and the only plants were pine trees.

Latest posts

Back