Ceiling paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neverold

Reaction score
Yesterday I scraped popcorn ceilings off in my bedroom. Wondering what type of paint I need to use now.

Can I use general purpose interior wall paint for painting ceilings? I've got a couple of cans in the basement. Or ceiling paint is a must here? By the way, what brand do you recommend? Thanks.

Welcome.

Sand, prime and then select whatever paint makes you happy

Ceiling paint is paint that is not designed to take any abuse or any cleaning. Hence, it is fairly cheap paint. You can paint your ceiling with wall paint. The sheen depends on how good your drywall work is, flat paints tend to be more forgiving of imperfections in your ceiling. For color, you can do the same as the walls, or go one or two shades lighter on the same paint chip. You can do it a complimentary color, look at the paint brochures at the paint store or paint section at the home center for combination ideas.

Imperfections on ceilings will tend to stand out more than ones on the walls. Ceiling lights cast shadows that highlight imperfections. Walls tend to be broken up by furniture, doors, windows and wall hangings. If the drywall is hung properly (horizontally, not vertically) you don't tend to have vertical seams running from the ceiling to the floor. On a ceiling, you will always have long joints on the tapered edges of the drywall. The butt joints should all be staggered. On walls, these long joints are usually interrupted by a door or a window at some point.

Thanks, guys.

I've read some articles about choosing ceiling paint. This one https://ceilingpainter.com/ seems to be the most informative, hope someone will find it helpful later. Anyway, most of the articles I read say that Benjamin Moore is the best ceiling paints brand. What do you think? Is it really that good?

I haven't used it, my realtor wife has a painter they use who swears by BM paint. I tend to use Sherwin Williams.

Hello. I am painting my bedroom and since it is currently a slate/purple shade, the yellow/gold color that I am changing it to is not covering the walls properly. When I bought my paint I also purchased paint for the ceiling and there was a special so I have about 1.5 gallons left.

I was wondering if I could use the ceiling paint as a primer, instead of running out to HD or Lowes to get some primer?
You could give it a try and see if it helped hide the color below. I'm not an expert but IMO once you paint over it with wall paint it will be fine.

Back