Coposite Vs Wood decking.

Discussion in 'Decks & Patios' started by harvcr, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Aug 21, 2007 #1

harvcr

harvcr

harvcr

Do you prefer composite decking or wood decking?
    I've come across a dilemma on choosing the material for my new deck and I'm not sure if I should go for composite materials or wood. :(
    What do you recommend?

2. Sep 5, 2007 #2

GuRu

GuRu

GuRu

Wood decking. Again I think this is nicer. I think both work, but it is a preference thing.

3. Sep 11, 2007 #3

leahbeah

leahbeah

leahbeah

I would have to agree with the wood decking. Composites don't always blend real well but they are usually stronger because the different materials work together to give the composite unique properties,

4. Sep 11, 2007 #4

leahbeah

leahbeah

leahbeah

I would have to agree with the wood decking. Composites don't always blend real well but they are usually stronger because the different materials work together to give the composite unique properties.

5. Sep 30, 2007 #5

deadmite

deadmite

deadmite

Wood decking looks nice and if taken care properly will last just as long usually :D. You can do tons of things with wood, paint, stains, ect. so try wood for your porch :)

6. Oct 1, 2007 #6

deckman2

deckman2

deckman2

For folks that do not want the maintenance the composites are a good choice, tho I perfer wood because it looks better imo. The company that makes a product that actually looks like wood will make a killing as most I've seen/used do not.

Al

7. Aug 17, 2009 #7

DeckSuperstore

DeckSuperstore

DeckSuperstore

Composites can be for people who have more money than time. The sun will limit the lifespan of any natural product.
    But don't forget about a third viable option - PVC decking. PVC decking is VERY low maintenance, fade-resistent, scratch resistant, and stain resistant. Check out TimberTechs XLM board; it's a little pricier but offers a lot more durability and less maintenance.

-Jonathan
    http://thedecksuperstore.com

8. Jan 9, 2010 #8

thedeckbarn

thedeckbarn

thedeckbarn

[​IMG]

I've been installing decking for 25 years. Most people want composite on the floor and top cap of the rail. The rest, railing and fascia is usually wood, with aluminum spindles.
    I've had a composite deck on my house for 8 years, all we need to do is clean the floor, with olympic deck cleaner, spay on, hose off, no scrubbing.
    The rails are finished with sherwyn williams solid color stain, which need to be done every 4 years.

steven scholl
    www.thedeckbarn.com
    www.killerdecks.com

9. Jan 20, 2010 #9

jnacc

jnacc

jnacc

I would use PVC decking over composite or wood - it is a better investment. Whenever you have natural fibers in decking, you are sure to have decay, staining and other problems. To find out if a product is supported by the manufacturer - read the warranty.

10. Jan 30, 2010 #10

caseysbuilding

caseysbuilding

caseysbuilding

11. Dec 31, 2010 #11

wood decking

wood decking

wood decking

I think that you can have a third choice--that is the wood plastic composite decking. I think it can meet your demands very well. WPC(wood plastic composite) is a totally new material, which is a green products without any pollution to the environment. And the maintenance of wpc is very easy, too.
    Just put one picture of WPC here for your reference:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Apr 27, 2011 #12

Patiosclotures

Patiosclotures

Patiosclotures

Composite decking blends the wood in with a synthetic material; it can survive unfavorable weather conditions and resist insects far better than a comparable wood deck. Wood decking may also have problems with breakage or cracking, which will not happen with a piece of composite decking. Composite decking has its own problems, such as fading, scratching and staining.

13. Aug 3, 2011 #13

pvcdeckman

pvcdeckman

pvcdeckman

I agree that you're always going to get the best look with wood, however, I will say having installed both over the last 5 years that composite is stepping it up. The finished product takes some close examination to know it's fake. There are some good manufactors out there but I have my favorites. Gossen decking has the next gen in this stuff called PVC decking and I and my clients have been real happy with it. It's worth a look. Plus, it will last sooooo much longer and not fade or mold or warp. If you can stomach the thought of having a non-wood deck - I'd recommend it.

http://www.gossencorp.com

Good luck!

14. Aug 26, 2011 #14

2Decker

2Decker

2Decker

Which one of these products works better with temperature variations. I live in Indiana where the variations are intense. We have -10 deg. winters and 110 deg. summers. I would like to use wood but have not made up my mind yet.

15. Nov 22, 2011 #15

Rita_hslms

Rita_hslms

Rita_hslms

In fact,Now many constructors are prefer composite decking for nice appearance and long lifespan.Our company is doing wood-plastic composite(wpc) decking.it is very popular in China and around word.

Contact mail: ritaqian90@gmail.com
    Company web: www.hslms.com

16. Jan 2, 2012 #16

Roque Valente

Roque Valente

Roque Valente

17. Jan 2, 2012 #17

Roque Valente

Roque Valente

Roque Valente

18. Feb 18, 2012 #18

imported_liza

imported_liza

imported_liza

Has anyone seen Paverdeck. We came across this on youtube, and are interested in learning more.

19. May 20, 2012 #19

KimC

KimC

KimC

No expert on this topic, but I know my in-laws purchased composite decking at the suggestion of the guy at Lowe's (he sold them on how low maintenance the surface would be). They have been disappointed at how much mold/moss/gunk it still collects. The only work they save is not having to stain it.

20. May 24, 2012 #20

GBR

GBR

GBR