Doing Research for Porject

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metcalfe

Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Jack and I am brand new to this website...

I just beginning research for a project that needs to be done on my house. I have a half cape cod house...parts of the house are from the late 1700s while others are from the 1800s...the house lies on a stone foundation which has was reinforced with some cement many years ago...some of the sills are rotten or rotting, and the house leans from its years of dealing with winter storms coming off of the ocean...the soil is a combination of clay and sand, mostly being clay but with pockets of sand as well...

I am wondering who I could contact in MA to figure out this project, and do it.
I believe I would need to raise the house up (on I-beams?) and then dig out where to put the foundation since it has just been crawl space...pour the foundation, replace the sills, and other rotten joists, and then level the house on its new foundation...is that the basic process? Where can I find out more information and better yet who would be a good company to look over the house and give me a quote...

As a secondary project, I would like to add an addition to the house, so when I pour the foundation I was thinking of making it larger then the current houses footprint...but my Dad and myself can handle an addition its getting there that is where I dont know what to do...

Thanks a lot for the help in advance!

Welcome Jack:
You could call the local Home Builder's Association. Many chapters have certified remodelers in them.
Merry Christmas
Glenn

Also talk to your local building inspection guys - they know who does good work.

I can't offer any suggestions on who to do the project, but I hope you'll make it a point of sharing the project with us. ;)

Well, since I live in CT....I know of the perfect, reliable trustworthy guy to contact.
Try his website www.historichouseguy.com. His name is Steven Marshall and I have personally been a friend for a long time. He was taught by his father, about old homes. He does only restoration work , but he will know someone in your area.

Good luck. Tell him Brian the home inspector sent you along.

Latest posts

Back