Empty Hat Posts

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
Is it just me? Are the repair talk posts gaining more casual or empty hat postings. It seems that some commentary is just to be heard rather than being helpful to the OP.

At the very least, I've noticed a drop in activity across the actual DIY/home repair topics, so even if the rate of "empty hat" postings has stayed the same in absolute terms it stands out more in relative terms.

Much as I hate to say it, the "General" discussion section is the clear culprit. It's probably there to keep regulars from forgetting about the site during those long stretches where we aren't answering or asking actual home repair questions. The "What did you do today?" thread does its job by encouraging people to talk about what they did that day, but unfortunately, even when anecdotes themselves are confined to that specific question, and even when they are further confined to anecdotes related to home repair, the general nature of the discussion section invites offshoot commentary that frequently devolves into politics. Several members, for example, discuss their personal health issues, and this spirals off into discussion about the media, healthcare professionals, our health system, etc. "What's your temp?" could be interpreted as an invitation to debate global warming.

So one solution might be to excise that section, unfortunately. But that isn't necessarily the best solution, just the first one I thought of that seemed to make sense.

Since my hiatus I've personally been trying to post less of the "empty hat" stuff and stick to actual home repair topics. (And if I've got nothing to say there then why not do something else with my time?) Maybe if we all tried harder to do that...

I blame most of this on the current administration and all the supply shortages. I use to love to go into the garage and make some sawdust, but with lumber prices, who wants to spend $200 to make a $30 coat rack? I've been around forums for the last 15 years, and watch the numbers rise and fall based on elections, pandemics, lack of money, and all the doomsday crap we hear and see on TV. We will get through this, and normalcy will return. I guarantee it.

It is also seasonal. In the winter home heating and insulation questions expand as people start thinking about fixing those systems, or heating their garage etc.

In general winter months slow down and between thanksgiving and new years people are doing other things non DIY related.

I don’t think getting rid of sections and threads is the answer as much as us mod/admin keeping an eye on the talk for fun subjects. I think we do a fairly good job at that and better yet the member self-policing those areas is even better.

Some members have a tendency to supply too much information or information way over the heads of the OP asking the question. I’m fairly well versed in a lot of questions that pop up but also aware there are others even better here to answer. Quite often I will hold off with my answer giving the pro a chance to answer. There are no points given for answering first or repeating the answer someone else just gave. If I see it is a new poster I will often supply a little answer and welcome them to the forum and tell them to check back later as some of our pros will answer when they can. I also will instead of answering them fully notice they left out information or maybe a photo the pro on that topic would want to have, so I suggest they do that.

Sometimes when a thread has run its course a little non related chat is not a bad thing as it is a way of welcoming the new member into staying longer than just the one question they had.

There are some long term members that always ask questions and some that always answer questions and even a few in the middle. I like that there is a mix like that. Nothing wrong with forming internet friendships and during the slow times having a few threads to just BS in and have some fun. It is kind of like work life everyone does their job but also a little time to get to know each other while working. :coffee:

What I've seen over the years is peaks and valleys on questions pertaining to specific questions. Certain time of the year effects how folks get involved in house repair. Holiday time was always slow in the roofing industry because people don't like roofers tearing up Xmas decorations. Summer vacation time takes folks away a lot. So, what I see is cyclical questions and responses.

Good answers mods, that stuff makes sense.

Personally I think the "for fun" zone could be policed a little tighter, with stiffer consequences than just warnings.

I'm a huge free speech advocate and I'm glad there are places where communists, Nazis, cynics, militant atheists, religious evangelists, and anyone else, including centrists, "normies", and people who reject whatever label you might use to describe them can all get together and talk about anything they want without the threat of cancellation or worse, and the only real rule is to act like a gentleman. I know a few places online that are exactly that. But not every website is improved by being that kind of place and it isn't immediately obvious (at least not to me) why this one would be. (Maybe most of the most active members here don't have anywhere else to go? I dunno.)

Of course I'm not a mod and that's just my two cents, provided for your consideration or entertainment. Mainly I just find "forum management" conversations fascinating.

I belong to a boating forum. During the summer, its filled with great looking boats, great looking women, and really interesting topics. Once the weather turns cold, its like a bunch of women, griping about how much it costs to get pedicures, covid issues, tax issues, what to get the little woman for Christmas, etc. It makes us all pray for warmer weather.

Just a thought · · · how could we complain about free speech when we are posting on a website that belongs to others?

I've known the owner of these web sites for 15+ years. He is very laid back and allows his forums lots of latitude, allowing the mods to do what they feel is best, but you are correct, First Amendment rights don't apply here.

Don't exactly understand your question, but I am a volunteer here, never made a penny on any of the forums, just like all the other mods. We do it for the love of the forums.

Is it just me? Are the repair talk posts gaining more casual or empty hat postings. It seems that some commentary is just to be heard rather than being helpful to the OP.

I see nothing wrong with a little "empty hat" chatter. It keeps a thread alive, for one thing. And, maybe someone is interested in the topic, but doesn't have anything helpful to contribute, so they just comment. Nothing wrong with that, in my view. At least you know someone is reading your post.

Someone may come to this group to fill a void in their life, or just to feel connected to the world, if only in a virtual sense. I would not judge that person.

As long as the empty hat comments are civil discourse and not troll posts trying to start an argument or rile someone up, I welcome empty hat comments. I see nothing wrong with it.

If you feel like empty hat comments are a burden to you, then, good for you for having the luxury of feeling that way. Your profile picture depicts the cross of Christ. Would he not be more charitable in giving someone a place to be heard or commune with others?

Last edited:
If you feel like empty hat comments are a burden to you, then, good for you for having the luxury of feeling that way. Your profile picture depicts the cross of Christ. Would he not be more charitable in giving someone a place to be heard or commune with others?
Don't try to add words to my post. I was just asking others if it was a trend or just my observation. I am guilty of empty hat commentary but try not to ambush the OP.

My apologies if I put too much oomph into that post. Perhaps there was a little "holiday blues" in there. I raise my cup of warm apple cider to your measured reply.

Back