Hola

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky617

Reaction score
Just joined, elbo referred me here. Regular poster at HGTV and DIYNETWORK now that HGTV is shutting down their boards I need a new hangout for wasting time.

I posted as Sparky at HGTV and Sparky617 at DIY.

Hi Sparky welcome.

Most of the Sparky's I know are welders or electricians.

Begin wasting time anytime you feel ready.

Hi Sparky welcome.

Most of the Sparky's I know are welders or electricians.

Begin wasting time anytime you feel ready.

I went to Technical School while in HS to become an electrician. I haven't earned a living at it but I can still find my way around a circuit breaker panel or wire a 3 way circuit a couple of different ways.

HI!!! Sparky, good to see you made the move. did the old site finally stop breathing? long slow, painful death.

I am new here also, these are some good guys, your gonna fit in and like them.

HI!!! Sparky, good to see you made the move. did the old site finally stop breathing? long slow, painful death.

I am new here also, these are some good guys, your gonna fit in and like them.

The officially shut it down a few days late from their November 4th announced end. It is shut down and the posts are gone, 7700 posts of excellence by me all gone except in the Internet way-back machine archive.

DIY is still going, and they are paying better attention to the spammers. But I suspect they'll pull the plug on that before too long.

DIY is still going, and they are paying better attention to the spammers. But I suspect they'll pull the plug on that before too long.

Spam is a problem, we've had great support from our members reporting spam and do our best to keep it out. Feel free to report any post that violates the rules we all agreed to when we joined.

At DIY Networks boards they will get spammers hitting every board with non-sense posts. Can't figure out what their game is because most of them just have jibberish and no links to entice you with click bate. So what benefit the spammers are getting out of this is beyond my understanding of the web.

The thing that kept me coming back to their boards is the opportunity to guide a noob. Some boards tend to be mainly occupied by the regulars and not much in the way of real questions. Sometimes a question will prompt me to do a little websearch to find an answer for the OP and I learn something new in the process or from other posters answering the question.

The thing that kept me coming back to their boards is the opportunity to guide a noob. Some boards tend to be mainly occupied by the regulars and not much in the way of real questions. Sometimes a question will prompt me to do a little websearch to find an answer for the OP and I learn something new in the process or from other posters answering the question.

Well..some of us here keep our yaps shut until we have something to say... thats why I like it here, we all get along, and nobody puts anyone else down that comes in for the most part, otherwise, we send the Dog after em.;-)
Welcome to the site, good to have another helping hand around.:beer:

Not sure about their forums, but HGTV - TV just drives me crazy. Used to be that you could pick up a little info there, but now it's all about yuppie couples buying houses.

Anyways...welcome Sparky.

The network has certainly moved beyond their core viewers. There was a lot of complaining on the boards about the quality of the shows. It has essentially become House Hunters TV with a side of Love it or list it. Gardening and real home improvement shows are non-existent on the network.

TV has moved beyond information to drama entertainment. A show can't be just informative, it somehow has to have conflict. There's enough drama in my life to watch stuff that I have interest in. But I guess drama sells and that's what pays the bills.

If it's not drama, it's half hour commercials. For instance, I use to like the show My Classic Car, it's now a commercial for collector car insurance, floor tile or car polish with a hint of a car here and there.

Oh well...,

Not sure about their forums, but HGTV - TV just drives me crazy. Used to be that you could pick up a little info there, but now it's all about yuppie couples buying houses.

Anyways...welcome Sparky.

TV has moved beyond information to drama entertainment. A show can't be just informative, it somehow has to have conflict. There's enough drama in my life to watch stuff that I have interest in. But I guess drama sells and that's what pays the bills.

If it's not drama, it's half hour commercials. For instance, I use to like the show My Classic Car, it's now a commercial for collector car insurance, floor tile or car polish with a hint of a car here and there.

Oh well...,

Remember when TLC stood for The Learning Channel and the History Channel had actual shows about... History?

Back