How to fix leaking stack

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinnyb1977

Reaction score
My stack coming out of my boiler was leaking I inquired what to use at the local home depot to repair it and the guy suggested using high temp furnace cement around it. I built it up in layers now its freezing out and i guess the heat changes cracked it all, below are some pics. What is the best thing to fix this? I dont know if i should just tar around the base or put some roofing paper and tar and pitch it a little away. If anyone has some ideas for me that would be great thanks for any help.

stack.jpg

My stack coming out of my boiler was leaking I inquired what to use at the local home depot to repair it and the guy suggested using high temp furnace cement around it. QUOTE]

Roof cement that does not have a membrane or mesh applied to it will shrink and crack when exposed to UV. The fix really depends what type of roof system you have.

I think the HD guy misunderstood the question.
If you asked what to use after the pipe comes out of the leaking boiler, you would use high temp cement for the pipe connection to a chimney flue on the inside of a building only. Like where it connects in the basement or utility room into a chimney opening, this is the normal drill.
On the exterior of your roof, you would never use cement. It would be a metal collar if there was high temp at the roof connection.Just like what you already have. What you have looks like a rolled roof, or BUR roof, regardless, you will be fine with tar. However it will need to be maintained until you change the roof, This means every year you do a check for cracks.
If it is a rubber roof, like a bike tire tube, then you use rubberized caulk.
Remove all that mess and start over.
Let us know and we may be able to help further.;)

I think the HD guy misunderstood the question.
QUOTE]

Ahhh... the good ole days and going to see Frank at the local hardware store that had worked there since I can remember. Frank would almost know what you needed when you walked in the door. He stocked at least 1 of everything and knew electrical, plumbing, HVAC and about all things that weren't nuclear physics. He had on that bib apron and always wore a tie. If the pipe wasn't lit it was still held tightly in his lips as you described your current dilemma.

Then there was Henry that worked at the auto parts store. You remember the old auto part stores with the wood, greased stained floor and an inch of dust on those round metal lights that hung from the ceiling. When you walked in there was no mistaking the smell of 30 weight motor oil and stale cigarette smoke. Henry knew every part and part number in the store by heart and usually grumbled when he had to walk to the back of the store to cut radiator hose.

Where did those guys go that knew how to give good advise and help point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the help. The roof that was there was a rusty piece of metal the person I paid to cap my garage saw it rust staining my roof and said he'd tAke care of it he cut out the old stuff and used aluminum capping to repair it which is part of the problem maybe I should lay a piece of roofing paper over it first?

Back