Jeep Yj MPFI conversion.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeah sorry. not much going on lately. We got my daughter back from college and she has been driving my jeep since we left hers out in idaho. she is home until april then she goes back for 2 semesters. the way her school works they have 3 terms and she is on the spring fall term and home for the winter term. anyway as long as she is driving the jeep I can't do to much to it. I did go ahead and install the spartan locker into the dana 44. that was a very easy process. I was surprised.

I also replaced the brakes.

can't install it until I can have it out of action for at least a weekend. and right now Sarah is driving it every day.

I replaced the stupid shift indicator light with some LED's and took it for a drive the other day.
before, the trouble is the stupid bulb stops working sometimes because the socket is worn out. I can wiggle the bulb and it starts working again
so I bought some of these from walmart.

now it works all the time, and the bulbs should last a lot longer than the stupid little bulbs

this was my christmas presents from my wife. so onboard air addition will also be going in later as well. I may have to start working on that old blue gt one of these days. but since my daughters home we have been basically doing family stuff. I am making lots of plans for spring though.

I'm looking forward to the air compressor install!

well I made the cardboard tempate for the air compressor mount, and I gave it to Harison my daughters boyfriend. he is going to fabricate it for me using 10 gauge steel. in the mean time I had been having some trouble with the jeep it would run fine, then I would take it out on the hiway and accelerate up to 60 and it would sometimes sputter and die like it was running out of fuel. I could not figure out what was wrong with it. it just died. after you stopped and restarted it, it would run fine. now keep in mind the entire top end of this engine is pretty much new. new head, new valves, intake and injectors and the entire wiring harness. at first I thought it might be an electrical issue because the tach would jump all over. I needed it fixed fast because my daughter was coming home so I took it to my local mechanic that I use when ever I have things like this I don't have time, or don't want to do. he changed the plugs, that did nothing, then decided it might be the pushrods not opening the valves properly. he decided the pushrods were the incorrect length and put new ones in. I took it home and it did the same thing on the way. home. I still don't know what is wrong, but I suspected a problem with the pickup in the tank as I was using an external fuel pump. so I bought a 95 style fuel tank with all new sendor and straps and swapped that in this weekend. the old one did have a bunch of crud on the pickup and in the bottom of the tank. I always planned to convert to an in tank pump mostly because I didn't like the fuel pump hanging underneath like that. and I wanted it to be like a stock unit. so now I have to take it for a ride tomorrow and see if it fixed it. I also swapped out the stock front shackles for some currie units to match the boomerang shackles in back.

I hope that fixes it. I had an issue with my old 93 for months and turned out to be a screw that rubbed through the harness on the firewall and kept blowing the fuel pump fuse. I hate problems like this.

My son also had a problem with intermittent sputtering in my YJ and found out it was a faulty corroded relay.

Well no joy it is still doing it. So now I have to start checking all the connections and relays and sensors. I think I am going to take it back to Rick and let him figure it out. Very frustrating

Pull your fuel pump relay and just replace it. They are about $9 and even though on mine it tested ok, the corrosion on the tongue caused an intermittent failure. On some of the wrangler forums I work on, many have found faulty ground wires near where the body and floor meet closest to the left thigh area of the driver.

This thing is crazy. right after I swapped the tank I pumped a couple gallons of gas out of the old tank into the new one. I had an inline see through filter to watch and see if any crap came through. really didn't see anything. so I started the jeep ran it over to the gas station it ran fine over there, about 2 miles away. then I drove it for probably 15 minutes and it started sputtering and popping, it died and I almost couldn't get it started again. I finally got it started drove it home, it was doing it all the way home, worse than it ever has. I shut it off in front of the house, struggled to start it, it even backfired once really loud before it finally started. then I drove it to the garage and parked it. the next day I talked to Rick the mechanic and scheduled it to be brought in and worked on this friday. that night I got home decided to try it again, and it ran like a top. no problem. so today I drove it to work. no issues. I drove around for over an hour after work. shut it off several times, let it idle a while, hiway speeds, around town, up and down hills. not one hiccup. tomorrow the stupid thing will probably blow up.

I really hate when these problems clear up without knowing what happened. Jeeps are #1 with doing this.

This thing is crazy. right after I swapped the tank I pumped a couple gallons of gas out of the old tank into the new one. I had an inline see through filter to watch and see if any crap came through. really didn't see anything. so I started the jeep ran it over to the gas station it ran fine over there, about 2 miles away. then I drove it for probably 15 minutes and it started sputtering and popping, it died and I almost couldn't get it started again. I finally got it started drove it home, it was doing it all the way home, worse than it ever has. I shut it off in front of the house, struggled to start it, it even backfired once really loud before it finally started. then I drove it to the garage and parked it. the next day I talked to Rick the mechanic and scheduled it to be brought in and worked on this friday. that night I got home decided to try it again, and it ran like a top. no problem. so today I drove it to work. no issues. I drove around for over an hour after work. shut it off several times, let it idle a while, hiway speeds, around town, up and down hills. not one hiccup. tomorrow the stupid thing will probably blow up.

Just thinking, could the 'crud' have been partly Water? condensation may have been the source for that. drain the tank then refill with fresh, clean fuel, Maybe?

This thing is crazy. right after I swapped the tank I pumped a couple gallons of gas out of the old tank into the new one. I had an inline see through filter to watch and see if any crap came through. really didn't see anything. so I started the jeep ran it over to the gas station it ran fine over there, about 2 miles away. then I drove it for probably 15 minutes and it started sputtering and popping, it died and I almost couldn't get it started again. I finally got it started drove it home, it was doing it all the way home, worse than it ever has. I shut it off in front of the house, struggled to start it, it even backfired once really loud before it finally started. then I drove it to the garage and parked it. the next day I talked to Rick the mechanic and scheduled it to be brought in and worked on this friday. that night I got home decided to try it again, and it ran like a top. no problem. so today I drove it to work. no issues. I drove around for over an hour after work. shut it off several times, let it idle a while, hiway speeds, around town, up and down hills. not one hiccup. tomorrow the stupid thing will probably blow up.[/QUOTE]Just thinking, could the ' crud' have been partly Water? condensation may have been the source for that. drain thetank then fill with fresh, clean fuel, Maybe?

yes my dad thought that was a possibility. i don't know though. i replaced the tank pump and everything. pumped two gallons out of the tank into a can. then pumped a few gallons into the new tank, drove it to the gas station and filled up the tank with new gas. it only happens when I get it out on the highway and drive about 3-4 miles. then it starts cutting out. it acts like it is running out of fuel. stop it shut it off and it will sputter and pop eventually It will start again and run ok. if I drive slowly. park it for a few hours and it will start and run fine. I can drive all over town and it runs fine. it is really aggravating. I put in a new oxygen sensor. I ordered the new relays. swapped them around in the mean time. I also ordered a new crank position sensor. it should be here soon also. I dropped it off at my mechanic friends shop. I am going out of town to a conference/ vacation for a couple weeks so I will just let him try to figure it out again. annoying thing.

well, I think we finally figured it out. the hesco kit relocates the crankshaft positioning sensor to the harmonic balancer. apparently when going down the road at highway speeds the air stream caused the wiring for the sensor to press up against the header behind the air intake tube in an area very difficult to see. it was causing an intermittent short. relocating the wiring seems to have it fixed so far. I drove it about 20 miles down the road and it did not stall on me anyway. so I think we have it sorted. on the down side, the new crank position sensor I bought from hesco is apparently bad, it made the jeep run worse. so I guess I will have to try to send it back. anyway I am going to drive it like this for a while and hopefully get all the bugs worked out of it before starting my next series of modifications.

That sounds promising.

what a pain in the neck I have had today. well since finding the short in my cps wiring the jeep has been running pretty good. I still had not gotten the stupid gas gauge to work yet though. at first I thought it was because I programmed the gauge wrong. so I wired a set of jumper wires that I could plug into the wiring connector. then I got the old sending unit out and tested it. It worked fine. so then I looked at the connector. I had to make a new weather pack connector because this is all aftermarket wiring, so I got a weatherpack connector set from summit and I thought maybe the connector was not making a good connection, so I tested that out by jumpering the wire so I could be sure the connection was good. no joy. so I still thought maybe the sending unit is different from the 90 to the 95 style sensor so I bought a new 95 sending unit and fuel pump 130.00 bucks from oreilly. hooked it up to my jumper wire and it works just fine. so then I thought maybe the stupid sending unit was stuck because it just reads full all the time. so I dropped the tank again and pull the old/new sending unit and fuel pump out, and no it is not stuck. so again I wire it direct to the wiring harness with my jumper wire and test it by raising and lowering the float, and it won't work. so I put the new, new sending unit in the tank and wire it with the jumpers, and it reads 1/4 tank. so I put it all back together and fire it up and it is running better than it ever has. filled it with fuel, the gauge went up to full, looking good.

then I had been having a bit of rubbing at full lock on my tires so I had been considering getting different wheels. but I like these wheels so instead I decided to just get some wheel spacers. I put those on last night. I really like the way the jeep is looking now.

I also ordered some decals for the hood. on the old cj's and early wranglers there was a decal package that went there that said either wrangler, or renegade depending on the trim package. so I had some made that say Joopacabra. I think it will be cool lol. Sarah will hate it.

Is it possible to add a 1" body lift to allow the tires full movement?

Is it possible to add a 1" body lift to allow the tires full movement?

No, that is not the problem. the problem on this jeep is that the wheel offset is to deep, so the tire would rub on the leaf spring at full lock. so I either needed a wheel with less offset or the spacers. I have no problem with up and down movement.

I got ya. How about just twist out the stop bolt to stop the extreme L R movement of the front tire?

Back