Leaking roof - Shingles laid correctly?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay. My assumption was that when you have a leak the sheeting rots out and that is how the water penetrates. He didnt give a clear explanation, unfortunately, other than it could be some nails misplaced causing the leak or water collecting in the valley with heavy rain and running back up into the shingles. He didnt mention sheeting and i forgot to ask about it. Thanks
A leak can promote mold and rot and all kinds of damage can happen especially if the attic does not have proper venting. But that is why you want to get after a leak right away. You need to find and honest broker, inspector or some one to look it over, to estimate the expected remaining life of the roof, inspect the inside of the attic for water damage, wet insulation and the appropriate venting.
Some roofers would give you good advice but some will just try to sell you stuff so maybe a home inspection company.

I will repeat my observation as it has not been addressed.
It looks like the first course shingles on the far side of the valley (view 21) are installed parallel to the valley, the joints will catch water.

Eddie, those view numbers are are the view count for each image. they are in the 40's & 50's now. Which image are you referring to? I'm guessing ''Right Detail Problem Area''.

Sorry that I made that mistake on the views. It's the bottom left detail, the first course of valley shingles on the right. I've never seen shingles installed that way before?

Back