LIttle electrical dilemma

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by dakuda, Dec 19, 2008.

  1. Dec 19, 2008 #1

    dakuda

    dakuda

    dakuda

    Senior Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2006
    Messages:
    174
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yesterday a switch of mine fried. The plastic melted, and I lost power to the switched outlet. No big deal, I thought.

    I switched out the switch and now when I turn it on, the breaker pops. I cut the wire back past the burn on the insulation and exposed new copper to connect to the switch. The wires went to the exact same spots on the new switch. What am I missing?

    The house was built in the 50's, and this part of the house still has the existing wiring from when I bought it.
     
  2. Dec 19, 2008 #2

    travelover

    travelover

    travelover

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Messages:
    693
    Likes Received:
    2
    You have may have a short circuit. Check the outlet box that the switch controls. You may find insulation peeled off and a short in the box .
     

Share This Page