Loose Asphalt Tiles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can you securely renail loose asphalt tiles that are part of a cover over the original roof tiles?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

maxcalvada

Reaction score
A wind storm caused several tiles(maybe 25) to come loose. These files were part of a cover put on the original roof. If I owned a one story house, I'd do it myself. But it's 2 and 1/2 stories up. A roofing company estimator says they can't do the job because the tiles will just come loose again. I did not think to ask him why.

I'm wondering why, if these could be nailed on with as a cover why can't they be renailed now. He said only 4 inch nails would hold them in securely. Why might this be. Is it possible the wood underneath is rotted or is this maybe a common scare trick used to get us to put a whole new partial roof on, as he suggests?

Have you contacted your insurance company? Wind damage should be covered, as would hail damage. Many of my neighbors have gotten new roofs from their insurance company due to a couple of hail storms. I upgraded to architectural shingles when I built and they've held up, so no free roof for me (yet).

Back