Mold or Mildew

Discussion in 'General Home Improvement Discussion' started by kc2651, Dec 11, 2007.

  1. Dec 11, 2007 #1

    kc2651

    kc2651

    kc2651

    Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    I think that I have some mold or mildew in my basement. i have been ripping out walls and insulation there is a black discoloration on the insulation and on the studs but there is not any build up has anyone had any experience with this kind of problem at all and if so how should i clean the mess or is removing the insulation and paneling enough? thanks for your help
     
  2. Dec 11, 2007 #2

    glennjanie

    glennjanie

    glennjanie

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2006
    Messages:
    2,990
    Likes Received:
    4
    Welcome KC from SC:
    Some insulation has some small amount of tar in the vapor barrier which will bleed through after several years and get on the studs. Heat a spot of it with a hair dryer and see if it runs OR put a drop of bleach on it to see if it turns white right away. White means mold or mildew (practically the same) running means tar.
    Merry Christmas KC
    Glenn
     
  3. Dec 12, 2007 #3

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Messages:
    482
    Likes Received:
    2
    And speaking of bleach...

    If it's mold or mildew (is there a difference?), use bleach to clean/kill it. Breath Safely! ;)
     
  4. Dec 12, 2007 #4

    kc2651

    kc2651

    kc2651

    Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    thanks Glenn and Tool Guy for the quick response i will try this today and I'll let you know:cool:
     
  5. Dec 12, 2007 #5

    kc2651

    kc2651

    kc2651

    Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    i put bleach on the black spots but it did not turn white nor did the hair dryer make it melt, keep in mind there is no build up at all it just looks like its made there. the insulation did have black discoloration on the sides at the studs. thanks for your help
     
  6. Dec 12, 2007 #6

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Messages:
    482
    Likes Received:
    2
    I think you're probably okay as long as the area in question is not subject to moisture. On the other hand, cleaning the area with a water/bleach solution as a precaution won't hurt anything. Use your best judgement and thanks for keeping us posted. ;)
     
  7. Dec 12, 2007 #7

    kc2651

    kc2651

    kc2651

    Member

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2007
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    this is in the basement and subject to mositure. i did find this cleaner/preventer at HD for $30 that covers 500 square feet so i think i will get that and give it a try just spray and walk away. now that is what i like.:cool:
     
  8. Dec 13, 2007 #8

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    ToolGuy

    Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2007
    Messages:
    482
    Likes Received:
    2
    Simple is good. ;)
     

Share This Page