Moms jeep

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread to follow the progress on what I am doing to my 1985 jeep Cherokee. My mother bought this jeep new in 1984 and drove it up until a few years ago. She loved this jeep more than any other vehicle and bought and sold a few new cars while owning this one. Finally she bought a Jeep liberty a few years back and parked this one. It was used off and on and then in 2009 my sister needed a 4x4 for the winter so I took it in its dilapidated shape and cleaned it up for her as a surprise.

I don't have too many pictures from before that but here are a few from when I tore it apart for new carpet and paint.

Here is my thread from when I did this work.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/my-weekend-project-909137/

1118091909.jpg

1120092007.jpg

1121091645a.jpg

1121091646.jpg

1122091524.jpg

5-3.jpg

Nice...what the plan for it?

I use to have a 87, red, 4 door that I loved till some goober in a early 80's LeSabre T-boned me and totaled it. Wish I still had that old Jeep.

OK so now to the present. My mom passed away a little over a year ago and I acquired the jeep, well nobody else wanted it. I sat on it for a year and then decided I would build it into more of an exploration vehicle so I can take my family camping, fishing and checking out ghost towns and stuff. My other jeep is built for wheeling so it kinda sucks on the highway anyway.

My plan was to keep it on 31" tires with a 3" lift and front locker. I want it low yet capable if I need it. I had bought most all the parts over the last couple months so the time was right to start building it.

View attachment photo 1.jpg

View attachment photo 1 (2).jpg

Since the axle was out, I wasn't happy with the factory control arms because I know me and I get carried away when wheeling sometimes so I figured I will build this one strong from the beginning. I had a set of aftermarket lower control arms that I picked up at the junk yard a while back but then I got a wild hair and decided to build some long arms since the axle was out. I spent most of yesterday fabbing up my control arm mount/ trans mount.

View attachment photo 2 (3).jpg

View attachment photo 3 (3).jpg

I used my Dual saw that I picked up last year and wouldn't you know it cut my 3/16" plate steel and that 3/16" box with little issue. I did overheat it a few times plunge cutting but it cut thats for sure. Too bad it throws metal shards like shrapnel from a bomb.

http://www.garageretreat.com/forums/f18/dual-saw-2916/

Thats about where I am at now. gonna try and plug away little by little til it done. I just bought a set of frame stiffners so hopefully they will show up by the weekend so I can get them mounted.

I picked up an NP231 transfer case and SYE to replace the NP207 that is in there now so maybe I will start that rebuild this week. Plus this is a 4 cylinder carbed motor so getting any performance out of it will be fun.

Speaking of building things, have you heard from AW12345 from over on Wrangler Board? Haven't seen him around in a while and I enjoyed his trail threads.

He is on jeepforum pretty often. He just did a nice trail run in Arizona.

I like where this build is going Chris, please keep us updated.

I had a 2000 Cherokee that I truly miss. Sold it to a former GF, should have sold her and kept the Cherokee. View attachment 2208

Attachments

• rofl.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 85
Last night I popped the case on the TCase I bought for the jeep and I found out why it had a good price. The guy I bought it off of tried to take it apart and broke the oil pick up tube off the pump and tossed it. Good thing I have a couple spare parts laying around, hopefully they match up.

What's the old saying, when it sounds to good to be true....

Got some work done today. Received my frame stiffners from ups so I installed them along with the crossmember I built last weekend. Then was able to start on one of my arms. Ill get some more pics up later since my phone only let's me attach one.

View attachment image.jpg

Latest posts

Back