Moms jeep

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In still paying for them.

I'm out here today trying to get the rear end done. It's been one of those days where I got a late start and then every little annoyance or problem that could happened happened.

The entire rear is bolt on stuff but when they did the mock ups for the parts they did not do them on an 85 Cherokee but more like a 98. Everything on mine is slightly different.

My gas tank skid had to be persuaded to fit because I'm sure it was based off a plastic tank and not a steel gas tank with crimps halfway up that i had to bend out of the way. Than the trailer hitch wouldn't go on without a bunch of grinding.

New leaf spring center pin was larger than the hole in the plate. My 31 year old bolts did not want to work with me.

It's been one thing after another.

How is your cold today?

My cold is Vitamin C, Zinc, Motrin, Claritan D and a gallon of water. It's here but tolerable with the meds. My head was pounding this morning hence the late start plus I had an employee here planting about 20 trees and putting in a bunch of irrigation so that took away from the jeep. Got everything on, I need new Ubolts as mine barely hold the nut on, I need about 1/2" longer. Didn't get to the Driveshafts and realized I need to put all new brakes on the rear. It was just a slave cylinder out but now the brakes are frozen on, gonna make it a pain to get them off. Was hoping to not spend much on that axle since I have one on my workbench that I will be building to put in this jeep. A Chrysler 8.25 is way stronger than the Dana 35. Instead of pulling the carb to clean it I pulled the fuel line off the fuel filter which is a few inched from thecarb and put a little funnel on it and poured in carb cleaner straight and let it sit all day. Fired right up this afternoon. I had to cut my muffler off to get to all the work I was doing and the little 4 banger actually sounds pretty good with just a cat. I have a flowmaster that I will put on and I stole the tail piece off the donor jeep that was sitting in my yard all year which is 1/2" bigger pipe so that should help.

Not sure if I will get back at it in the morning, I worked myself hard today and know I am gonna be hurting. Hopefully coffee and motrin can motivate me.

View attachment jeep.jpg

View attachment Jeep1.jpg

View attachment jeep2.jpg

Looking really good.

I bet that thing would make it all the way to my house when you decide to sell it.

I bet it would.

I can't sell it, there is no way I could recover what I have into it. Labor of love I guess.

I need to find the laminated photo from when my parents bought it new in 84. It was my parents, me and my brother and sister. I was 5. A lot of memories in that car, I learned to drive in it in the middle of the desert.

Oh. I totally understand.

I almost sold it for 500 before I started this process. Told myself if the guy didn't buy it I would build it. Would have saved me thousands and countless hours if he would have just bought it.

Nice Chris! I use to have an 86, Red Cherokee that was totaled when some idiot T-boned me in an intersection long time ago. Love that body style and think about getting another one at times. Just what I need is another project.

My brothers father in law had an 84 he was going to scrap. It sat for 13 years. A buddy and I picked it up about six months ago. So far we got that one fired up and moving but it has some sort of knock in the motor.

I think I just like working on cars.

Latest posts

Back