Moms jeep

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were behind me. The wife was with me so that was the last thing I wanted to be caught taking pictures of.

Tonight since it has been close to 100 degrees the last few days I worked on the AC system, I am going through it looking for leaks. I have it vacuumed and so far it is holding but we will see in the morning. I have a 30lb can of R12 that I picked up from my father in law so I will try and keep it original if possible. There has to be a leak somewhere since it was empty for the last 15 years or more.

That R-12 is like gold these days. What would it take to convert to R-134? I also have 3-4 small cans of R-12 if you get into a pinch.

Wouldn't take much just more work and a few more bucks.

R12 runs a colder ac and is original so I am trying to stick with it.

Yep. it's good, provided you have a source for the R-12 these days.

When my tank is empty I will go to 134. The system held vacuum all night so I am baffled on the leak, it must be tiny. It has been empty for 15+ years so it had to go somewhere, in fact I cant remember it ever working in my life and mom bought this thing new.

Now I don't know if I should go pulling the system apart replacing gaskets or leave it alone hoping for the best.

After work today the gauge showed that the system lost some pressure. There is a leak somewhere. So instead of just ripping into the old system taking the chance of causing more issues I put in a double dose of leak detector fluid and charged it just enough to kick on the compressor and run the system. I let the jeep run for about 20 minutes to get the fluid through it. I let it sit about an hour and checked for leaks but I don't see fluid anywhere, hopefully tomorrow afternoon there is a visible sign of leakage.

Well never did find a leak, I filled the system and will just run it. If there is a leak it will show itself eventually, I put in a double dose of leak detector. For now it is blowing cold.

I am searching my metal yards for a single piece of metal that measures 2" ID with a 3/16 wall to make my upper arms with. Then finally I can get this thing back on its feet and tear out the rear end and work on that.

All this and I decided to build a pool in my back yard so I guess we will see how many projects I can juggle at once?

He appears to have taken a detour from the jeep repair and decided to remove the interior walls of his house. I blame it on his ADHD. :D

Yeah the ADHD has kicked in lately, that and when momma doesn't let me work in the garage I have to do something. Plan was to work on the jeep this last weekend but that didn't happen, now the plan is for next weekend. we will see how that goes. Here is what I did at the house. Made my tiny living room into a normal sized one.

6550d1401381757-removing-walls-open-my-living-room-imageuploadedbyhome-repair1401381749.011742.jpg

6553d1401382683-removing-walls-open-my-living-room-imageuploadedbyhome-repair1401382676.733175.jpg

6555d1401389745-removing-walls-open-my-living-room-imageuploadedbyhome-repair1401389737.595050.jpg

6559d1401400607-removing-walls-open-my-living-room-imageuploadedbyhome-repair1401400602.930894.jpg

6570d1401678699-removing-walls-open-my-living-room-imageuploadedbyhome-repair1401678687.620346.jpg

6565d1401586149-removing-walls-open-my-living-room-imageuploadedbyhome-repair1401586149.293029.jpg

Yeah if you would have called me Friday I would have flown you out here, I hate both drywall and floors.

So the jeep has been neglected lately. Still cleaning up the garage after the wall removal project. Not gonna have time to work on it again until after the 4th of July.

Latest posts

Back