Mustang Garage kitchen remodel

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate mudding and taping. I did a remodel a year or so ago and it was cheaper for me to hire it out along with the insulation then to buy the materials. I don't know how they stay in business.

They wont for very long! Those guys are what make it hard for me to find work!!

I don't like mudding and taping either. that is why I hired it out as well. unfortunately the contractor who is working with me on this project has too many projects. he is working me in as he can. so that is why I have been waiting to get this done. he says he will have it done by next weekend so that I can paint next weekend. he will also be putting down the tile. one of these days I am going to try tiling myself, but since I am putting in a heated floor and this is my wife's kitchen this is not a good time to learn.

so basically I know how to do a lot of things, but I am old enough and wise enough now to realize that I do not have to do everything I know how to do lol. sometimes I prefer to pay others to do the jobs I don't want to do. mudding and taping definitely fit in that category.

once the tile is in I will hang the cabinets myself (with a friend of course)and finish up the rest.

like I said at the beginning, I am doing what I can on this project but I am certainly not doing all of it myself. I wish I had that kind of time and skill. but for the time being I will pick my battles. one thing is certain I want my wife to be involved in this renovation as much as possible so she will realize how much goes into it and will have some "sweat equity" built up in the final result.

I think the universe is conspiring against me. My contractor friend who is doing the mudding and taping has several other jobs he is working on so he is kind of hit or miss when he works on my stuff. there are unfortunately not many contractors available where I live so he has more work than he can do. I know that is a better problem to have than the alternative but it sucks for me. also his mother has been in and out of the hospital with cancer so he has had to take care of her. also I have been working like crazy my self so not a huge amount of progress. the mudding and taping are nearly done however. He said it should be done tomorrow night and I plan to paint this weekend.

he is going to texture the ceiling tomorrow as well. so theoretically we can start tiling next week. I have 500 square feet of tile sitting on a pallet in the back of my pickup just waiting to be put down. I also got the new mud room sink today. bought it off ebay. it is a really nice sink. wish I would have found this when I was building my garage.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290379466854?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

View attachment sink.jpg

also I had another hiccup in my electrical plan. when I started this project I was just going to do the kitchen and maybe paint the mudroom and that little bathroom. but then we decided to strip out the bathroom. then when I was looking at the way the mudroom was setup I thought it was really stupid that they put the washer and dryer right up next to the wall where the door is. it makes it really awkward getting in that door. so I decided to move the washer and dryer over next to the bathroom. It sounded simple when I thought of it. and when we talked it over with the electrician he thought we could just make a longer cord for the dryer and all would be fine. once things got to this stage however we realized that the real problem was with the 110 for the washer, we would have to run an extension cord either all the way around the dryer and up the wall by the bathroom which would look stupid as heck or run an extension cord up and plug it in the outlet over the new sink we decided to put in which would look stupid and be dangerous. so we had to redo the wiring there which since the ceiling in the basement is finished was a major headache. but it is done now. so one more hurdle out of the way.

just a question for you guys. what do you think it should cost to have someone mudd and tape these three rooms and texture the ceiling and walls. I know we all think everyone else charges too much. and I certainly am not going to dispute the cost with the guy because he does good work, but I wanted to know what other people especially wood racing would charge for this work. I bought and installed all the drywall. the cost of the mudd and tape are in with the labor cost. you can see the large amount of work that was done so I expected a lot but I guess I underestimated again lol.

Having constructed a few rooms myself, I will tell you that I can swing a hammer, chop wood, pour concrete, do all the detail work, but I will leave the drywall to those guys who know how to tape, mud and sand, which is not me.

Probably around it$1200 for tape, sand and mud. And another $400 for texture on the ceiling. Could be more this is a rough estimate without being there in person to see it.

I paid about a buck a square foot last year on a job. drywall, tape, mud and texture.

I paid 4,000.00 for the tape and texture and I will be paying another 4,000 for the tile installation. I bought the tile and grout and he will provide the underlayment and thinset mortar. so 8,000.00 for the total job. he just estimated 8,000 for the job. but I paid him 4,000 on friday for the first half of the job.

maybe some of you expert contractors ought to consider relocating to small town iowa lol.

How many SqFt of tile? I did tile for years and was lucky if I got 4.50 a foot for tile. Stones were a bit more.

I paid 4,000.00 for the tape and texture and I will be paying another 4,000 for the tile installation. I bought the tile and grout and he will provide the underlayment and thinset mortar. so 8,000.00 for the total job. he just estimated 8,000 for the job. but I paid him 4,000 on friday for the first half of the job.

maybe some of you expert contractors ought to consider relocating to small town iowa lol.

No way i could get that here! Is he doing it by himself or does he have a helper help doing it?

That price I gave you would not include material but still it wouldnt be close to that!

he has a helper. anyway they are going to be laying the tile next weekend so I am just going to be happy to get it done. that is one of the problems that come from small towns. I love small towns in general but since there isn't much competition you sometimes have to just bite the bullet and pay what you have to pay. I don't really want to think too much about it since I don't have much choice I will just choose to be happy that he does good work and is willing to work us in to get this job done. so anyway the drywall is finished now so next step is tile. then I will get to try hanging cabinets for the first time. looking forward to it.

As long as you are happy with it, that is all that matters.

the drywall is done, the painting is done. the tile should go in this weekend then we can hang the cabinets.

getting very anxious. I am afraid things will not be going very fast for a while yet though. they got the concrete board underlayment put in yesterday, and about 1/2 the tile installed. they say they will finish the rest of it this week. and get it grouted hopefully by Friday. Sadly I have to go to a meeting in New Orleans this friday so I will not be able to work on the kitchen until the following week.

here is some pics of the progress.

I will get some more pics later tonight. with my good camera if I can find it.

Is that an under tile heater? Or what is that green stuff under the tile?

Back