My Garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great! Keep in mind that I used 2 x 10's, double strung, with similar uprights, to handle the load.

oh yes i know about that on the addition i just did the customer also wanted a room built in the attic of the main house only problem was his joists were all 2x8 I was finally able to convince him to let me sister 2x10's to the 2x8's i would've never built that room on 2x8's so i will be putting some 2x10's up there before i add more weight. thanks for the input Havasu.

I personally thought at first it would be an overkill but with tape and textured drywall under it, I didn't want any flex at all. Now I'm glad I did.

Its not overkill at all any structural engineer will tell you 2x10 is minimum for any floor joist span over 10'. I have a chart for rafters and floor joists and it says the same thing any span over 10' needs a 2x10 joist as far as the joists being double strung that might be a bit over kill but better to have done it and not need it than to have not done it and need it!

Truer words were never spoken.

so i have finally started on my F-250 tranny rebuild and i was moving along smoothly until i had to much clearance in a clutch pack it calls for an 0.030-0.050 gap and its at 0.052 to much gap for me! my rebuild manual says that thicker snap rings are available so......off to ford i go turns out they offer they offer three differant sizes so i ordered the two biggest and I was told they would be there today only thing is when i went to getem only one of them came in and it wasnt any thicker than the one i have. parts man says it might be monday before the other one gets here its on back order!! Ya'll pray for my Jeep I'm workin her like a truck shes holdin up fine with no issues as of yet but its only a matter of time pullin the mobile shop with it. Jeeps ain't built for this kinda work but...... i gotta make a livin so we'll just keep on keepin on.

Good luck with it. You are more a man then I, I'm scared to tackle an auto trans rebuild.

its not as bad as most make it out to be. once u know the basics and have a good manual for the trans your workin on. the main thing with rebuilding automatic transmissions is it has to be CLEAN as in u would eat off it clean. and the clearances in the clutch packs have to be right to much clearance and its gonna slip!

I may tackle it next time one goes out but i doubt it.

I think it would be easier to split an atom than figure out how to rebuild an auto transmission. ;)

I used to think the same way, until I tried it. I'm not saying jump into one with no instruction at all!! I started by watching a buddy do a complete rebuild on a chevy 700R4 Then I did the next one with him there helping the whole way This is my 3rd Rebuild and I'm still not doing it 100% alone my Brother in law who is an ASE tech and has done a ton of chrysler trannys is helping I am doing most of the work but hes there if I have questions or concerns. I may try the next one by myself if its not my daily tow beast.

So today Ford calls me and says they are no longer making thicker snap rings sooooooo!! back to the drawing board...................I am saving a ton of $$$$$ by doing this myself but its a long drawn out process when you dont have a ton of parts available!

What about a tranny shop for the part?

i am trying to get monster transmission to come up with a solution they are who i bought my rebuild kit from i am waiting for a call back from there tech support.

I think it would be easier to split an atom than figure out how to rebuild an auto transmission. ;)

I was pretty afraid to try it to, but my Dad said it wasn't that bad. I wanted to rebuild the trans I bought off ebay for my 67 project before I installed it, so I bought a dvd online with the special spring compressor tool,

http://store.boxwrench.net/KD-Tool-...sor-amp-Transmission-Rebuilding-DVD_p_84.html

and a set of AOD lip seal installation tools and we rebuilt the thing over one weekend. I got the rebuild and clutchpack kit from summit. so far I have not driven the car very far. I drove it to a nearby town for a car show last year but that was only about 20 miles away. it worked fine but that is as far as it has gone. anyway the video really made it nice I also built a special table to rebuild the transmission on and to help with installation. the only special thing about it is that it has a hole drilled in the top big enough to put the shaft of the transmission in when you are working on it, and a 5 gallon bucket fits under it to catch the drippings. but it also made the job easier.

DSC00276.jpg

2aa21ea3.jpg

DSC00265.jpg

and here is my redneck transmission jack lol.

DSC00488.jpg

oh one other little trick I used was I had an old plastic toboggan sled I bought at walmart it works great for disassembling the transmission. it is cheap, long enough to fit the whole trans in and it catches all the atf before it gets all over.

its good to see others doing there own work you cant learn if you dont try.

there is an adapter that fill fit an engine stand that u can buy that allows you to bolt the tranny to it once its on the engine stand u can turn the trans in any position it makes the rebuild a lot easier. i plan on fabing my own but have not got to it yet.

there is an adapter that fill fit an engine stand that u can buy that allows you to bolt the tranny to it once its on the engine stand u can turn the trans in any position it makes the rebuild a lot easier. i plan on fabing my own but have not got to it yet.

I don't know about that tool. but since most of the actual rebuild is done outside of the case I am not sure how much it would help, and I would think it might get in the way when you are trying to fit everything back in the case. but I don't know. I have never seen it. they did not use it in the video. that hole in the bench makes it so that when you are replacing the seals and clutch disks everything is sitting flat and not moving. replacing everything in the case at the end was pretty easy just using that bit of 2x4 to hold the case level.

do you have a picture of the engine stand adapter? I would be interested to see how it is done. also do you have the lip seal installation tools and the spring compressor?

Back