Older home toilet drain / vent

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t20sl

Reaction score
I am remodeling a bathroom where there was a wall hanging toilet that leaked and ruined wall and some of floor. Unit had a cast bronze wall 3" fitting that had a vertical 1 1/2" copper vent soldered to it. Going to use a floor mount toilet. When inspecting old waste line I discovered it is 3 " copper and from wall mount to waste stack is about 4 feet. Waste stack is closed at top with no pipe running to roof. I would like to add a 1/2 bath on other side of current bathroom wall. Questions are:
Can a 3" waste stack support 2 toilets, shower, 3 vanities?
Should 3" stack be continued thru roof or can 1 1/2" vents be used at or near each toilet/vanity etc...
thanks

A 3" stack can handle it.

As for getting the drain work done and venting you might do well to hire a plumber.

There are many factors that go into it and on site is the best way.

Someone that is there and knows your locally used code would be best.

You could supply a isometric drawing of what you plan to do and I could say ya thats correct but then you have to apply it correctly.

This stuff is going in for a long time...
How long do you want to live with something buried in your walls and ceilings that got lost in the translation and clogs up frequently....

Back