princess bathroom remodel.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking great.

in case anyone is wondering why no progress this week, I promised my daughter I would not work on it this week. she has an audition for the all state vocal choir on saturday. she made it last year, and she really wants to make it again this year. approximately 6,000 students audition for 300 spots so it is a very competitive group, and since she has such bad allergies I said I would not stir up a lot of dust for a week before the audition. I had hoped to be further along than I am, but a promise is a promise. but saturday I am going to get started again.

heres a few more pictures. I primered the ceiling and walls. red guard around the shower. I have the bench made and ready to install. tomorrow I need to paint the ceiling and possibly the walls. I have a friend coming over wednesday to help me install the back wall of the shower. it is going to take some careful cutting and manipulation so I need some help to lift it into place.

Red Guards a lil pricey, but oh so worth it in the long run.

I'm also curious what Red Guard cost ya? I bought a gallon 5 years ago and it cost me darn near $90. What's it up to now?

Actually I bought a gallon of it which was way more than I needed and it was 52.00. Probably should have done the whole room lol.

oh by the way. My daughter made all state vocal. so she is really pumped. that is like winning the state wrestling tournament for vocalists. anyway this has been a good month for her. tonight we all painted the room. got the ceiling and walls both painted. tomorrow the plan is to get the shower walls up. a friend of mine from work said he would come over and help me. so here's keeping my fingers crossed. My wife picked up the tile today and the guy who tiled my kitchen said he would do this room. so hopefully soon the tile will be in as well.

Congratulations!

thanks Havasu and old dog

ok. we got a fair amount done tonight. My friend Jason came over tonight and helped me get the shower walls up. I still have to caulk the seams once the silicone sets up. then I need to put the corner trim pieces, the soap shelf and the crown molding in place. here are some pictures.

Man, that is purty stuff. Are you referring to the color match soap/crap holder? I put that in at my house and it really was useful and broke up the massive slab....made it look real nice.

I really like basements. I always wonder how the whole country has them except California.

No basements in my area either. I miss having a basement.

mustang, that looks awesome! Mind if I ask how much it cost for the wall pieces? How heavy are they?

Congratulations to your daughter! She sounds like a good kid.

No basements in my area either. I miss having a basement.

mustang, that looks awesome! Mind if I ask how much it cost for the wall pieces? How heavy are they?

Congratulations to your daughter! She sounds like a good kid.

all together for the wall pieces and the corner trim and the shower seat it was 1100. that back piece was heavy. I bought some glass moving suction cup handles that really helped to move the pieces into position, but my wife could not lift her end at all so I had to get my friend Jason from work to give me a hand.

I did not want to post a picture of the seat install last night because I messed up. I glued the seat down and held it in place with some quick clamps while we marked cut and positioned the back piece. then I did the other big side piece. finally I went back and permanently screwed the bench to the floor and put the shower side piece on the bench. then the drywall on the outside of the bench. that was when I realized that the top had slipped about a quarter of an inch. it was angled and did not cover the back piece of onyx. I was really ticked about it because by that point the silicone had setup and it was stuck. anyway I finished up the bench and figured I would just have to cover that booboo up with some of the color match silicone and call it good enough. but I had a brainstorm today at work. I kept trying to think how I could get that piece loose without breaking it or the little lip that fits behind the back wall off. I got a gigli saw blade that was going to expire from work and that was thin enough to slip in there and with a little patience I was able to cut the silicone and then reapply it and position the bench the way I want it. it is not perfect but it is a lot better. We also got the grout ordered and put up the shower caddy. I chipped all the old thinset off the floor. there is an old drain cleanout that I need to fill with a bit of self leveling concrete tomorrow and then I think we are ready for the tile guy. he is coming over saturday. I hope he can get it all done and come back on monday to grout it. I need to get the cabinets in so I can order the countertop. that is going to take a few weeks because they have to come over from omaha and measure it then put it on a cad program. then they email it to me and I have to approve it before they make the countertops and bring it over. I want to get it done by thanksgiving if at all possible.

anyway here are a couple more pics from today.

I recently changed to the 20 minute set up mud, and use a slightly wet sponge to knock down the high spots before it is completely set. No sanding at all, and once you put on a few coats, a nice orange peel or knock down texture make it look great.

by the way havasu thanks for that sponge tip. I tried that towards the end of my drywall journey and it really did help a lot to reduce the sanding needed.

What is the third hole, just to the right of the shower valve? A dedicated handheld shower port? If so, extra slick!

What is the third hole, just to the right of the shower valve? A dedicated handheld shower port? If so, extra slick!

yes it is the hole for the handheld shower head. there is only two holes in the onyx though. what looks like a third hole for the regular shower head is just a reflection of a bare lightbulb hanging from the can light fixture. the actual shower head will come straight out of the ceiling.

No kidding. Seems that you were at the exact angle to give the reflection the look of a hole. That idea with the ceiling shower is over the top! Outstanding!

No kidding. Seems that you were at the exact angle to give the reflection the look of a hole. That idea with the ceiling shower is over the top! Outstanding!

yeah that was the plumbers suggestion. I think it will be cool. so we got a large rain shower type shower head. my daughter liked the square shape better than round. it fit the theme she had in mind better.

so these are the shower heads we are using. again the square one will be coming straight down out of the ceiling. but it has a swivel so it can be directed a bit. the hand held is setup to save water so it works on fairly low volumes of water and has a valve in it so you can shut it off if you want to.

View attachment e34d4b1a-abfd-4933-871b-d6af82f6477a_400.jpg

View attachment fda41358-0ee7-46db-b2eb-d2d300c95973_400.jpg

Latest posts

Back