princess bathroom remodel.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, use clean silicone (just a bead) around the entire escutcheon. Once you secure, wipe away the excess.

Yes, use clean silicone (just a bead) around the entire escutcheon. Once you secure, wipe away the excess.

alrighty then. I will do that. I have to get a short pipe nipple tonight so I can put the ceiling shower head on. I want just about a 1 inch nipple to get the shower head as high as I can. one other bit of good news. a friend from work is moving out of there house and downsizing to a condo. anyway she had an older toilet that they had swapped out for some reason. it is a nice piece and looks nicer than the one I took out. best of all it is an older model not a water conserving toilet so It will have the volume necessary to flush down there where we don't have gravity to help as much. anyway hopefully it will work better than the old one. at least it will look nicer.

well not to much to report. I did get the crown molding and corner trim put on the shower. I caulked all the gaps. installed the faucet. I ordered a brushed nickel nipple for the overhead shower but apparently I wasn't paying attention when I ordered it because it was a 3/8 instead of a 1/2 inch. anyway I re-ordered that and as soon as it gets here I will finish the shower install. I am still waiting on the glass walls. the countertop guys measured last week and hopefully they will get the countertop done and installed before thanksgiving. they would not promise but seemed optimistic. I finished installing the light fixtures. the wife and daughter just went shopping and bought a whole mess of stuff, new towels, rugs, the mirrors and a stool for the knee space. anyway here are a few filler pics until I can get the walls and countertop.

well crud. I got the glass walls in today and I was excited to get it put together. I was thinking I would at least be able to have the shower and toilet working for thanksgiving. but they did not make it correctly. the cutout for the shower bench is too short. I have to go talk to the lumber yard guy tomorrow and have them send it back and remake it. this puts a major crimp in my plans.

That's too bad. I had ordered two panels for my own glass shower, which was brokered by my unlicensed helper. He let my two panels sit at the glass company for 5 months, and when he finally went to pick them up, the company had lost one of my panels. He advised me to completely cancel the order instead of having them make another piece because all glass is matched and it would never look completely the same. I myself am still using only a shower curtain because I got pissed at my helper and got my money back because he took too long.

Long story short, be aware that a new glass panel will look different....maybe!

the lumber yard guy who ordered it is coming over to look at it and remeasure it tomorrow so I will see what he says about that.

well as usual, more unintended fun. when we moved into this house 8 years ago we had a second water heater put in because we kept running out of hot water. well both of them have crapped out now, and we have been without hot water since wednesday. I have talked with the plumbers and they have said that the old one is shot and the new one needs a new thermocoupler and burner assembly. but with the way they put that second heater in it would be better just to get rid of both of them and put in a new powervent 75 gallon heater and of course it did not get in today so it will not be here until friday. I have been showering in the garage for the last few days. at least I have that option. but anyway another unforseen expense.

That is tough. At least you have an alternative.

Well the wife had to shower in the garage today. Fortunately I cleaned it pretty good yesterday lol. If the new water heater is not in tomorrow someone is going to be hurt. Most likely me

I have bandaids!

If MG doesn't get that water heater in, he may need tourniquets...:eek:

fortunately we got the water heater in on friday. so no injuries were necessary. man that thing is a monster. it takes up as much room as both the others. anyway we now have plenty of hot water and I don't have to shower in the garage any more. we also got the toilet installed in the new bathroom and if the snow is not to bad tomorrow they are supposed to install the countertop. we will have to keep our fingers crossed.

I also decided to use a little of the leftover onxy to go on the box that covers the shower drain pipe behind the toilet, I coped it with a jig saw to fit the mop board. I spent some time sanding the boards that cover the access to the toilet shut off valve and I ripped a 2x4 down to make some narrow strips to put on the outside edge sanded it smooth. then painted it with some vht black paint I had in the garage now sarah is going to get some smooth river rocks to put in there to complete the zen toilet area lol. I put a new seat on there that has an LED light that has a 7 hour cycle so it stays on for seven hours then shuts off till the next day at the same time.
and I installed the other shower head. fixed the broken drain pipe and tested everything for leaks. so once I get the shower walls it is ready for use.

Really nice work. I'm thinking about a lighted toilet seat as well. Is it also a soft close? Having had the soft close lid, I will never have anything else.

Really nice work. I'm thinking about a lighted toilet seat as well. Is it also a soft close? Having had the soft close lid, I will never have anything else.

yes it is and I agree with you. now all our toilets are soft close even the one in the garage

Problem with being use to the soft close seats, when you go to a hotel, you will forget that they do not have the soft close feature, and will end up slamming the damn seat all night.

I love my soft close, except when I am in a hurry and have to jump on it to close.

Back