Privacy Fence gate repair....HELP!

Discussion in 'Carpentry and Woodworking' started by Sprocketmadness, Oct 16, 2011.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 16, 2011 #1

Sprocketmadness

Sprocketmadness

Sprocketmadness

I am new to the forum and I am hoping someone can help me!
    I am also really new to DIY/home improvement so forgive me if
    I sound a little ignorant of things in describing my problem...

I will try to make a long story short:
    We have a 6ft wood privacy fence in our yard with a broken double gate.
    The gate that is nearest to the house is sagging so much that it can barely
    be moved. The other side seems to be sagging a little but is able to swing all the way open; however the bottom half of the 2 boards on the side where the gates meet are broken about 2 feet up from the ground.

SO...being that I have NO idea what to do about this I asked someone to come and look at it and give me an estimate. He said that it would cost $140 to fix and that was labor and materials which (if I remember correctly involved cement for the posts, maybe boards and some hardware for the gate).
    Then my friend said that her husband could do it....he quoted me $175-$250 before labor!!! He said that if we want it done "right" that will be the cost to fix posts and boards and hinges and a whole bunch of other stuff I didn't quite understand.

My husband insists that we let our friend do it "the right way" but since I have no expertise in this area I can't argue the point because I am not sure what any of this should cost in the first place!

If anyone has any experience with this I would really appreciate some insight. I don't even know exactly what parts would be necessary or I would go and price them myself to see if I was getting an estimate for a half-a**ed job or if our friend is making a small project bigger than it needs to be on our budget.
    HELP!!!!

2. Oct 16, 2011 #2

inspectorD

inspectorD

inspectorD

Housebroken Staff Member Admin Moderator

Get both proposals in writing...so we can tell you what you are looking at as far as differences.
    And a picture or three would be great also.:D

I stay away from freinds helping out on a paid job...they tend to create problems.

3. Oct 16, 2011 #3

BridgeMan

BridgeMan

BridgeMan

Where I come from, true friends don't charge their friends for helping out in a time of need.

4. Oct 17, 2011 #4

chrisbc

chrisbc

chrisbc

Just get other estimates if you aren't confident, compare them and go with the one you feel comfortable with.

As mentioned it is best to get written quotes, with a scope of work. That way everyone knows what will be done for what price.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  5. Dec 21, 2011 #5

sanjosefencerepair

sanjosefencerepair

sanjosefencerepair

Maybe you could ask your friend what they would do differently than the quote from the other person? San Jose Fence Repair