Soap on hands

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
This is so bizarre to me, I don't even know how to search for it.

If I wash my hands with bar soap in the kitchen sink with Hot water, it will eventually take care of the soap on my hands, but it takes a while. If I switch to Cold, it removes all the soap almost instantly.

If I do the same thing in the bathrooms, it doesn't matter whether I use Hot or Cold, the water doesn't remove the same exact soap.

Has anybody even heard of that?

Sounds like you have a water softener hooked to the kitchen sink one side only.

That's impossible to trace, but it's hooked to the Bathrooms because I have noticed the difference in both when I forgot to run the softener for a couple of weeks.

Yep it was common to leave the cold water in the kitchen sink off the softener for cooking water. I have seen it also done with a bypass valve.

I haven't cooked with sink water for more than 20 years, haven't lived in areas with good water. (City and Well).. That concept is so far out in Left field for me.

Keep my hand washing dispensers filled with mild dishwashing liquid since it cleans better and rinses off quickly without leaving a greasy feeling on my hands/fingers... only use bar soap in the shower...

This city's tap water came within hours of killing me, so I ingest it minimally... even avoid water coming from melted ice cubes in drinks...

Last edited:
Another reason for having one place for non-softened water besides cooking is people like to use it for watering houseplants.

It seemed to be more common to do this in the 60s-70s than it is today. Not sure if today’s systems work better or just that they found out most people don’t care.

Keep my hand washing dispensers filled with mild dishwashing liquid since it cleans better and rinses off quickly without leaving a greasy feeling on my hands/fingers... only use bar soap in the shower...

This city's tap water came within hours of killing me, so I ingest it minimally... even avoid water coming from melted ice cubes in drinks...

Yeah, I have a gallon of the Bronner's Peppermint stuff somewhere. I have no intention of smelling like that, which confuses my brain as to why I bought it, but I will try it.

I freeze RO water if I want Ice cubes, didn't hook up the fridge.

Latest posts

Back