Switch/Outlet not working (6 wires)

Discussion in 'Electrical and Wiring' started by fb0605, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Mar 23, 2008 #1

fb0605

fb0605

fb0605

I have an outlet wired to a switch. While changing outlet I discovered that there were 6 wires: 1 red, 1 black, 2 white, 1 ground and 1 black back wired. Is this normal? also the outlet does not work. Thanks

2. Mar 23, 2008 #2

Square Eye

Square Eye

Square Eye

There are 2 possibilities there but more than likely, the blacks should be wired together under the same gold screw on the back of the receptacle, then the red should be under the other gold screw. (white wires under the silver screws) There is a small tab that connects both top and bottom receptacles together, usually this tab is broken off and then the receptacle with the red wire is switched, the other is always on. If it's not working at all, the problem could still be anywhere in the circuit.

3. Mar 23, 2008 #3

speedy petey

speedy petey

speedy petey

Lic.Electrical Contractor

Yes, sounds typical of a switched receptacle.

Did it ever work? Did you flip the switch?

4. Mar 23, 2008 #4

kok328

kok328

kok328

No this is NOT normal even w/a dual circuit outlet. Get someone in there that can physically inspect what you have going on. DO NOT take any action based on statements that read "more than likely", "probably", "could be", "maybe", etc....

5. Mar 23, 2008 #5

Parrothead

Parrothead

Parrothead

What's not normal about it? There's a hot, neutral, and switched leg going in, and a hot and neutral going out.

I like SquareEye's advice, except please don't put more than one wire on a screw. Wirenut them together along with a pigtail, and wire the pigtail to the screw.

6. Mar 24, 2008 #6

triple D

triple D

triple D

Like speedy asked, did it work at any time you have lived there. And I'm just going to assume since you said it was wired to a switch, that you did try that switch? And yes the way wiring is hooked to plug is perfect and to code in all 50:) I'm 50 mi. north of you, hi neighbor! If it comes down to it, I know an electrician:D