The "What did you do today thread"?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What time will the food be served?

There are for some models. I built this one. The only ones available for this model JD were canvas. For a few more dollars, steel, tempered glass, with a place for the heater, radio, wiper, and fan.

Tomorrow is gonna suck. Worked all day today, have to work with night crew all night and then have to be on another job by 7am.

40s here in the AM. Still going to gun range.

34 Degrees with possible sun ? I hope its not stuck somewhere. Blast a few rays to the mid west......... please.

Took the T to the "All Ford Club Breakfast" in Tucson today.

Took the wife on her first 20 mile mountain bike ride yesterday. No complaints on her end and she road the whole trail except for about 10 feet of one hill.

Today I am looking at buying an RV to replace my Toy Hauler since I don't use the toy hauler part of it much and it is big and bulky. An RV will do better since I am usually taking my boat or jeep with me somewhere, it will get rid of having to take two trucks all the time.

Went and played "pin cushion" at the Drs. today.

Went to the high school graduation of my cousin's oldest child on Saturday-- had to drive 4 hours to get there, but my uncle was visiting from Virginia as well. My cousin's kids were all homeschooled but they are part of an association. Around 2,000 people generally show up for the graduations (family and friends). The ages of the graduates ranged from 14 to 18. Each student was allowed to put up a display in the lobby (it was held at a giant church in Woodlands, TX) showing pictures as well as things they made or things that represent their interests.

My cousin's daughter likes to sew and design costumes so one piece she made was up with pics and stuff. There were booklets handed out that contained the names of all of the students as well as some messages they wanted to share about themselves and a list of their achievements and interests. They varied from things like computer game design, biochemistry, cooking, design, rocket science, business, hotel management, teaching, etc. The choir sang three songs and they were very good. The first student speaker was very intelligent and funny-- he mentioned Batman AND Yoda so he scored points with me.

Instead of having a principal hand out diplomas, they had the students line up on one side and the parents on the other. There was video up on giant screens that would display the name of the students and play a 30 second audio blurb while showing pictures of the students throughout the years. They also got to pick their own "theme music" for their videos. So some had rap, some had gospel, some had silly songs, and my cousin's girl had the theme song to Tron.

She threw in something about chimichangas (sp?) from the Deadpool movie at the end. After the video, the parents met up with their children in the middle of the stage, hugged them, and gave them their diplomas. The audience members in front of us were either former graduates or just friends/family of the graduates and they were adding some amusing commentary throughout.

My cousin was worried that we would be bored or think it was too weird, but I actually enjoyed it. It was really nice to see so many intelligent young people who had such passion for learning and hopes for the future.

After the ceremony they had refreshments in an adjacent hall (same building). They had little mini slices of pie, brownies, puff pastries, celery, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, crackers and cheese, and strawberries. The strawberries and tomatoes were very good.

Afterward we went to CiCis pizza and my brother wore his Pizza Hut hat inside. Then it was back to my cousin's house to watch her daughter open her graduation gifts (I didn't even realize that gift-giving was a thing for graduations). Someone gave her a Darth Vader card that played little sound clips from the Star Wars movies whenever the card was opened. Then we watched a slideshow of about 500 pictures and chatted. I think it was after 10pm when we finally left and headed home.

The next kid will be graduating in 2 years and we've been invited back for that one when it comes.

I know I'm babbling a lot, but it really was great to see my cousin and her family. My uncle was tired from his flight, but I got him to tell me about his garden a little bit. He's growing some brandywine tomatoes and some blue potatoes. He's also trying to figure out a way to make nests for pollinating bees. He took a class on that apparently. He's a master gardener.

Anyway, sorry I haven't popped in for awhile.

TL: DR? I had a fun trip. :D

Back