To scrape or not to scrape?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan208

Reaction score
We've got "cottage cheese" ceilings in our house and want rid of them. I think our house was remodeled in the late 70's (found a newspaper in the kitchen wall when I tore down the drywall). I'm kind of hesitant to scrape the "cheese" off if there is the possibility of asbestos being present. What are the alternatives to scraping? Something to cover up the existing ceiling (I doubt the wife would want ceiling tiles)? Thin drywall right on top (or would that be bottom ;) )? Any other ideas?

Dan

Hello Dan:
You might take a sample of the texture and have it tested for asbestos. If it is not asbestos, scraping would remove the bulk of it and some sanding would finish it up. You may need to apply another coat of compound to the nail heads and joints and sand that, but it should paint out just fine.
Glenn

No idea on testing costs. It may come down very easily, especially if it hasn't been painted over. Spray some water on it and use a 6" putty knife and scrape away. It should almost come off in sheets. a pump up garden sprayer should work or an old spray bottle.

No idea on testing costs. It may come down very easily, especially if it hasn't been painted over. Spray some water on it and use a 6" putty knife and scrape away. It should almost come off in sheets. a pump up garden sprayer should work or an old spray bottle.

This is what I was thinking of doing, but really don't want to take a chance.

I've been doing some looking and am having trouble finding somewhere to send samples to get tested. Does anyone know of any labs that do this?

Your local health department sometimes will test it, or knows those who do.
Other than that...call a home inspection company and find out who they use.
I only say that because I am a Home inspector.:D

Chances are way high that they do have asbestos. The thing is are you going to pay the arm and leg fee to remove? The trick is to cover everything with plastic. Dont touch anywhere on ceiling without getting it very wet. Give it a few minutes soak time before scraping. Work only small areas at a time. And catch all scrappings in a bucket or bag. Remember as soon as the removed material becomes dry it is again hazardous. You can get asbestos filter cartriges for about ten bucks for a standard respirator. When you are done you can mix your scrappings with paint, must be latex, not oil, usually the box store has a few gallons of mis mixed paint for a cheap price. You can mix and bag your stuff, then dispose of in standard trash or dump. This will ensure that harm will not come to anyone later from this waste, for it is locked in paint. Good luck... and remember this is just an opinion!

I just finished mine. Wet/scrape and touchup mudding. then texture prime and paint and it cam e out great.
Popcorn_002.jpg

Popcorn_004.jpg

Back