Vinyl siding over base of T-111 sided house?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moukie

Reaction score
Hello,
First post here, and there will be many more. Thanks in advance for what may be many years of advice! I am about to close on a 50 year old T-111 sided house on a lake in SC. Basic frame house; 30 x 50 rectangle over a full walk-out basement. Gable roof with low pitch. T-111 is painted blue, and in fairly good condition. Looks like previous owner simply owned a paint gun and painted everything the same blue; boxing, fascia, gutters, downspouts, window frames, etc. I am thinking about covering the T-111 with vinyl completely on the "long" ends, and up to interior ceiling level on gable ends. Basically, horizontal vinyl siding would be at the same level all around, to the base of the boxing on the long ends. On the gable ends, i would propose a trim board at which point the vinyl would terminate, and i would paint the T-111 above this to the gable, and install batten boards of same color as T-111 paint up to the peaks of the gables. On potential benefit is the added R-value (minimal) of the vinyl siding, but this could also allow me to install a house wrap up to the trim board, which would essentially create an envelope of house wrap around the living space. I would assume i could tuck the house wrap under the trim board and caulk a bead across the top of the trim board to prevent water migration behind the house wrap?
Does this sound do-able, efficient, aesthetically-pleasing? I was originally thinking just re-paint the T-11 and then have a siding/trim person come re-do all boxing with vented vinyl and all soffits covered with white aluminum. I gotta give this place a little more modern look. I still want the white boxing and trim, but not sure i want painted T-111 all around.
Thoughts?
I am really thinking my wife and i could do the house wrap and vinyl, but not sure how much of a DIY job that is. We have succeeded with some pretty complex projects before, but this one may challenge us a bit.

Thank you so much for any input.
David in SC

:welcome: to House Repair Talk!

Caulk will fail rather quickly due to UV exposure and movement between dissimilar surfaces. I'd suggest install a "Z" flashing at the transition on the gable ends. Have you ever done any siding before? Do you have any siding tools, break, snips, tongs, scaffolding or ladder pick boards? Do you have the skil to fabricate metal to wrap window frames, fascia and door frames?

Not trying to talk you out of DIY, but siding is a skil and does require knowledge of not only making your project attractive but also weather proof.

Pawn shops, Craigs list, Facebook market place are some good places to get the tools to do your job.

We'll be glad to offer advise.

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I would cover the whole end if I were doing it right up to the peak. It is really not much harder, you just cut the ends at an angle and the cut edge gets hidden in the trim piece.

I’m not an expert on siding but I think the painted T-111 is a vapor barrier already and you want to protect the wood from moisture behind the siding. A guy down the street is doing something similar right now and he is putting a radiant barrier behind the siding something like this.

House Wrap - Behind Siding - AtticFoil™ Radiant Barrier - Do-It-Yourself Professional Grade Radiant Barrier.

He is getting some R value from the 1” foam the foil is attached to.

Please post a picture taken from the gable end when you can please, no close ups needed.
The main reason I'd like to see that pictures is you see how much over hang on the roof there is.
I'm with Old dog on this one.
Hanging siding "seems" like it should be a simple job, and it is to us that know how to do it, and have the tools, but I've seen far to many major and minor rotting issues, buckling, pieces falling off cause by even so called Pros that could have been avoided at no, or little cost and time if it had of been done right the first time.

For the gable ends, you can transition from a look of planks to a different profile. There are options that look like wood shake and scallop.

Thank you for the positive feedback. I am mainly just hoping to modernize the look a little with the horizontal base and vertical battens on the gable ends. I fully understand installing vinyl is a challenge. I have most of the tools, and would hope to pay a skilled person to drop by once in a while to verify i am doing properly.
No way i would attempt the metal work; nor would i do the soffit vents. I am mainly just looking at going from the ground level starter strip up to the interior ceiling line. Windows are vinyl, so no brick molds to deal with. I know this will not be easy, and am hoping to learn from you all how difficult it is. I will post pics soon to show what i am thinking.
Thank you again for all advice.
David in SC

How lucky you were to get a full walk out basement in SC. I prefer Hardi siding for this as opposed to vinyl. It just looks better and the pre-painted has a 15 year warranty. And it goes up like traditional clapboards, ie just nails.

Latest posts

Back