What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mixed nother batch of cream enhanced milk. I was thinking again about raw milk. My son was raised on raw milk but has some lactose intolerance with market milk. I suspect it's is more of an allergy as intolerance might be inheritable whereas an allergy not so much (who really knows). I dunno and suspect the professionals don't either. It seems to only be science if one has letters behind their name, and then we find with COVID that the letters behind their name didn't help so I disregard most BS.

I mixed nother batch of cream enhanced milk. I was thinking again about raw milk. My son was raised on raw milk but has some lactose intolerance with market milk. I suspect it's is more of an allergy as intolerance might be inheritable whereas an allergy not so much (who really knows). I dunno and suspect the professionals don't either. It seems to only be science if one has letters behind their name, and then we find with COVID that the letters behind their name didn't help so I disregard most BS.

Well, the FDA and USDA and probably 14 other worthless agencies mandate the massive dumping of milk anyway to keep the prices artificially high, same thing they do with wheat, paying farmers NOT to grow anything. With Raw Milk, the do nothing agencies act on the "behalf" of consumers under the guise that it's "dangerous" while allowing 4 new drugs on the market every week that can kill or maim you 13 different ways every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

It's all complete BS, there is nothing wrong with Raw Milk, or you would have found out a long time ago. There is an absolute wrong with pasteurized products, they have zero nutritional benefit.

@Spicoli43 Every week I pick up a gallon of whole milk at the grocery store for a price that seems to fluctuate between about $1.60 and $2.15. What high prices are you talking about?

In my area milk currently runs from $2.49 (unbranded) to $2.79 (branded). The store brand whipping cream is $1.69 per pint (I use one pint per gallon) for my mix.

If I could get raw milk it would be easy to make buttermilk (sigh).

Last edited:
I talked with the Carolina Dog researcher today and he told me that many of them easily walk about on their hind legs. He thinks it's a trait that aided them to spy out prey in the grasslands.

@Spicoli43 Every week I pick up a gallon of whole milk at the grocery store for a price that seems to fluctuate between about $1.60 and $2.15. What high prices are you talking about?

I'm talking about supply and demand. I was also talking about Organic, which is $8 a gallon at Costco, and about $12 at the "health food" store. I haven't looked at conventional milk prices in almost 20 years, and haven't used milk period for most of that time.

I was also talking about Organic, which is $8 a gallon at Costco, and about $12 at the "health food" store.
:LOL:

Well you know what they say about a fool and his money...If that's what counts as price fixing, I say let the market work its evolutionary magic!

But gotta add, pumping an extra $7 out of some gullible people is one thing, but how many of these are the same people who load their costco groceries into brand new 4-door pickups, the beds and wheel wells of which have never been dirty, and which get 12mpg? My point is, the way people choose to waste spend their money is often baffling and apalling, and I wouldn't be so quick to lay people's financial misfortunes at the hands of the milk industry.

Last edited:
:LOL:

Well you know what they say about a fool and his money...If that's what counts as price fixing, I say let the market work its evolutionary magic!

Does it cost more for Organic food or Cancer and every other disease caused by pesticides and other chemicals?

Humans are notoriously terrible at risk assessment.

$8/gal of milk vs. cancer is not the formula and I hope you're not living as if it is. Let's suppose that drinking non-organic milk increases your risk of certain cancers (+ other diseases) by some %. Realistically, this % is probably extremely small, plus a million other factors also affect your risk. If you have a family history of those diseases, for example. Lifestyle. Etc.

A diet of processed foods and Coca Cola is not good and for most people will result in health problems, but exclusively buying all-organic $6 avocados, $8 milk, etc. is not the only alternative.

Here's what I said. I bolded the part that specifically answers your question:

Humans are notoriously terrible at risk assessment.

$8/gal of milk vs. cancer is not the formula and I hope you're not living as if it is. Let's suppose that drinking non-organic milk increases your risk of certain cancers (+ other diseases) by some %. Realistically, this % is probably extremely small, plus a million other factors also affect your risk. If you have a family history of those diseases, for example. Lifestyle. Etc.

A diet of processed foods and Coca Cola is not good and for most people will result in health problems, but exclusively buying all-organic $6 avocados, $8 milk, etc. is not the only alternative.

Also, you're presumably an adult. How much milk do you really drink? I go through about 1/2 or 3/4 gallon a week, because I use it to make protein shakes after my workouts, 5-6 days a week. I would consider that an abnormally large amount of milk for an adult -- because I'm trying to put on mass. My three young kids drink about 1.5 gallons/week between them.

Last edited:
Then your example of "extremely small" doesn't exist by your own definition of your milk intake being abnormally large. That isn't the main point though, is it?

Assuming you aren't eating all Organic fresh or frozen vegetables, Organic eggs, as close to Organic as possible grass fed and finished meats, Organic cheeses, Organic Coffee, etc., and only being "naughty" with milk, then your definition of "extremely small" for the milk is compounded by eating literally everything conventional, which you can't do without doing a massive regular detox.

I bet you have to run the bathroom fan after using it. If you're on an Organic Paleo or Keto diet, or as close as possible, you don't stink.

As far as Milk, I go through a gallon a week probably, with half of that being for Yogurt production for probiotics.

As far as Eggs, I have a violent reaction if I eat conventional. With Non GMO, I have very mild of the same symptoms. With Organic, I have no issues.

I see some hawks flying and circling overhead I suspect the Red Shouldered Hawks are nesting in my woods again.

Having a friend in the food safety business, I've been advised that organic produce is a farce, and using government standards, pesticides are used, but only early on in the growing cycle.

Technically everything I eat (aside from basic minerals like salt) is organic: it has carbon in it. @Spicoli: If you mean capital-O certified Organic, that's a political thing like LEED, isn't it?

I eat a mix of things and I'm healthy. I don't have a violent reaction to anything. If I drink milk or eat dairy I take a lactaid pill otherwise I fart a lot, but that would be true whether my milk cost $1/gal or $1,000/gal.

(Sorry to hear about your digestive problems, Spicoli.)

Having a friend in the food safety business, I've been advised that organic produce is a farce, and using government standards, pesticides are used, but only early on in the growing cycle.

How is it a farce? They either dump tons of pesticides on the produce or they don't. Who does your friend work for?

I read many years ago that wholesale milk price was Govt. regulated at $2.50/gallon minimum... but a local store had it under a dollar a gallon for an extended period a couple years ago... and people working in another store told me they never make a profit on milk, just carry it to bring consumer traffic in... currently milk is about $1.50/gallon and up around here... I always buy a gallon of milk because its price is lower at the lowest priced store than what a half gallon costs at most other stores... but I have trouble drinking and using a gallon within the 10 days or what ever it is expiration date... some brands last a day or two over the expiration date, some die a day or two before the expiration date, so have to pay attention to the brand purchased. I usually drink a small glass of milk daily with chocolate malted ovaltine in it because I don't care for the taste of milk much any more. And use milk on and/or in to make hot Malt-o-Meal cereal a couple times a week.
Walmart has a lower priced house brand milk and a name brand milk, but I don't buy the house brand because it somehow tastes dirty. Like draft beer at a bar that doesn't clean their piping often enough...

Just thinking if I had 16 cats they would have to wear name tags.

My Mom used to have 13 cats and since they were dumped off strays that showed up slowly she had them all named but then apparently some coyotes started hanging around the area and we started finding furry cat skins with no cat in them... except for the black cat, apparently they had trouble seeing her when coming around at night. She's a 'super people cat' that loves and snuggles right up to all people, even perfect strangers, but doesn't care much for other cats. Her black fur is silky smooth shiny and looks expensive.

I live alone and buy milk in gallon jugs finding that if I shake the jug every day I can go a week or two beyond the date. I just checked the jug I finished yesterday, the date was April 5 but that's a sell by date.

How is it a farce? They either dump tons of pesticides on the produce or they don't. Who does your friend work for?
She owns her own business which is governed by the USDA. Here is a Google snippit:
However, despite popular belief, organic farms do use pesticides. The difference is that they only use naturally-derived pesticides, rather than the synthetic pesticides used on conventional commercial farms. Natural pesticides are believed to be less toxic, however, some have been found to have health risks.

Latest posts

Back