What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live alone and buy milk in gallon jugs finding that if I shake the jug every day I can go a week or two beyond the date. I just checked the jug I finished yesterday, the date was April 5 but that's a sell by date.

I hesitate to mix the milk and air as every time some milk is poured out, room air with its normal bacteria flows in and replaces that amount of milk, so I prefer the air to stay above the milk. Actually, I go by that theory with every liquid I use out of a container as I also use things slowly... same used bottle of ketchup, mayonaisse, mustard, lemon juice, cooking oil, wine, etc. may be around for months or years... 2 liter soda pop a week or two...

I live alone and buy milk in gallon jugs finding that if I shake the jug every day I can go a week or two beyond the date. I just checked the jug I finished yesterday, the date was April 5 but that's a sell by date.

I have never heard that before. There's another reason for Organic milk I forgot. With conventional, I could never get through even a half gallon without it going bad. This dates to when I was a kid, but reinforced when I had to buy my own in my first ventures away from my folks home. This was well before Organic was a thing, so I didn't buy milk for 20 years.

Organic milk, however, lasts a long time. I can keep a 3 pack of Costco's Half Gallons for at least a Month. If you feel like going down that rabbit hole as to why conventional goes bad fast and why Organic doesn't, have fun. It's not for everybody to find out.

However, despite popular belief, organic farms do use pesticides.

I just buy the ordinary low priced foods and am 73... aiming for 150... but... we'll see eventually, I guess... do know I've already outlived over 1/3 of people... and, maybe soon, over 1/2...

She owns her own business which is governed by the USDA. Here is a Google snippit:
However, despite popular belief, organic farms do use pesticides. The difference is that they only use naturally-derived pesticides, rather than the synthetic pesticides used on conventional commercial farms. Natural pesticides are believed to be less toxic, however, some have been found to have health risks.

Ok, well doesn't "governed by the USDA" tell you everything you need to know about her definition of "farce"? They are bought and paid for like every other agency. As far as Organic pesticides having health risks, so does everything else. Why would people opt for conventional products when they know about the massive use of chemical pesticides?

Organic milk, however, lasts a long time. I can keep a 3 pack of Costco's Half Gallons for at least a Month.

If you don't open something and pour some out and let normal bacteria laden room air in, it can last a long time...

"Pasteurization does not kill all micro-organisms in milk, but is intended to kill some bacteria and make some enzymes inactive. ... The purpose of homogenization is to break down fat molecules in milk so that they resist separation."

"Organic milk usually undergoes ultrahigh temperature (UHT) processing, which means it's heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 to 4 seconds. In contrast, traditional milk is generally processed using a standard preservation process, heated to 161 degrees for 15 seconds.Jul 1, 2016" -Huffpost

"Organic milk lasts longer because producers use a different process to preserve it. According to the Northeast Organic Dairy Producers Alliance, the milk needs to stay fresh longer because organic products often have to travel farther to reach store shelves since it is not produced throughout the country.

"The process that gives the milk a longer shelf life is called ultrahigh temperature (UHT) processing or treatment, in which milk is heated to 280 degrees Fahrenheit (138 degrees Celsius) for two to four seconds, killing any bacteria in it." -Penn State U.

I'll have to buy a jug of conventional milk and let it sit in the fridge for 2 weeks after the date unopened and see what happens.

I need another Dumbbell anyway.

My guess is that shaking milk does two things, it oxygenates the milk and it prevents bacteria colonization on the surface of the milk. Now that I add cream I have to shake vigorously to distribute the cream through the milk.

Regarding Speed Queen washers I received this reply from customer service regarding cycle control on their machines. Seems that buttons or knobs still select electronic circuits.

I forgot to enclose the reply;
Our TR3 and TR5 series have both push buttons and electronics. On the TC5 the start button is a push button but the rest is knobs and the TR3 and TR5 the start and heavy soil button are push button and the rest is knobs. There is a control board behind the scenes to regulate our normal ECO Cycle. Our TR7 series is all electronic.

I just know that I love milk but I've had to cut back on it a bit due to my blood sugar issues.

Flyover, LOL. Sad thing is, even when I don't stay up all night I'm often tired. I've had chronic fatigue ever since my early 20s. Someone on homesteading forum suggested my most recent symptoms (the dizziness) could be a candida overgrowth somewhere. I'm thinking sinuses would be most likely, but I'm still skeptical. I'd rather consult my doctor first. She suggested tea as a way to combat it but I was told not to drink tea because of my kidney stones.

Still feel slightly off-- mostly in my sinuses. I was sneezing a bit & had a sinus headache for a bit. Not dizzy anymore at least. My brother and I went for our 2nd dose of vaccines. Appointment was 2:20 but it took awhile longer than that. They took us in and a black lady who'd been sitting there when we arrived ran up and was talking the pharmacist and getting agitated. She said that she had an appointment at 2 & asked why other people were being taken before her. He asked her to step back out of the vaccination room since there were already people inside and he'd talk to her later. Then he looked at some papers, dropped the F-bomb, and said that the new employee is being trained and keeps screwing things up. The employee didn't put her in the system properly but the forms she filled out were there. I offered to step out and let him give her the vaccine first but he said we were already in there, he already had our paperwork, etc so he might as well get it done now and apologize profusely to her for it. He was really stressed out. I was trying to get him to calm down a little by telling him we understood, mistakes happen & they are all human so it's no big deal. Got the shot. This time I felt some pressure but no pain. Arm isn't sore like last time. I did take a Tylenol as a precaution (since it was recommended). Cleared up my headache. I racked out when I got home. Forgot to call the doctor.

My brother made chunky chicken soup with baby bella mushrooms, rutabaga, bok choi, collard greens (I think), and zucchini. I normally don't like those veggies but they absorbed the broth so well they were actually good. They turned to mush, but that's how I like my food. LOL. Mom liked it so much she was getting very impatient with me on getting seconds. I got her soup for her and then fed the cats, picked up some trash, washed some dishes, then grabbed a bowl for myself. I wasn't even halfway through mine when she finished and was demanding more & getting pissy that I wanted to finish my food before I got her more. She kept bugging me every 20 seconds about it.

At some point my brother informed me of some dumb cardinals outside Mom's bedroom window that kept flying toward the window and smacking in to it. This was around 7pm. Mom told him they'd been doing it since 8am. I saw one of them doing it when I was passing through to go to the bathroom. Beautiful birds but duuuumb.

Why is it that the smoke alarm low battery warning chirp only happens in the middle of the night?

I didn't put the batteries in at 3 AM, guarantee that, but 3 of them in the last month feel like talking then.

Trying to figure out what to do with some Pepperidge Farm bread. It's too doughy (mash flat) soft. I tried it with a sandwich almost made me gag. Tried it toasted, still bad. Tried oven toast, instead of getting crunchy it got leathery. I guess I'll toss the rest of the loaf for the coons and/or possums and never buy it again. It's worse than soft bread sticks which I hate.

Spicoli, No. I wasn't even aware there was such a diet. I ended up catching up on some sleep. My arm didn't get as sore this time from the vaccine but I still had some fatigue. I forgot to take my medicine & got really in to the whole sketchup program again so now it's after 3am and I'm still awake. I created a post about the platform bed project. I even uploaded some of the components I made.
It's my mother's 71st birthday today. I'm sure she'll be greeted in the morning by the stupid cardinals that keep trying to fly into her window all day. They perch on a small branch nearby and keep throwing themselves at the window over and over and over all day long. They can't seem to figure out that the glass isn't going to disappear.
Other than sketchup and bed planning stuff, I did do some light cleaning in the kitchen & I assembled a rolling cart for my mother (it came with it's own screwdriver, an extra screw-- which came in handy because I dropped one & couldn't find it). I'm going to try to get my brother to help me clean up some stuff today & then I can set up the coffee maker that's been sitting in a box in the living room for at least 2 years.

Eddie, I hate when food that sounds like it might be good ends up being terrible. I am still salty over that Snicker's bar with maple that was absolutely awful. The maple was bitter & overpowered everything else. I spit it out & threw it in the trash.

For some reason my cats are all over me-- it doesn't feel all that cold but 10 of them are in here with me. There are a couple who almost always sleep on me or near me. It's soothing.

@zannej I have had cardinal and robins attack windows and car mirrors. I put plastic bags over the car mirrors one year as they were making them bloody. It's the males seeing their reflection and thinking their nesting territory is being threatened.

Today I am working on a leak behind a wall. I remover the toilet and the (archaic) wax ring yesterday and will remove the wall panel today and see what's going on. Fortunately that panel is a piece ¾" redwood siding that was surplused from my home build so I am not tearing out sheetrock at this point.

Last edited:
Thanks, Spicoli.

My mom said when we lived in Virginia there was a male cardinal that would constantly attack the kitchen window. In this case, it's a pair of cardinals (male & female) and it looks like they are trying to get inside. Mom said the male rammed her window 170 times in 4 hours before she lost track. She said the female rammed the window about 30 times but she will hit it 3 times with one jump as she kicks at it and then goes up to the top. They started it up again at 7 this morning.

Speaking of new mowers, I bought one and it arrived yesterday. My first riding mower. It came in a sort of crate, and I spent 2 hours prying it into pieces, resorted to cutting through some of the pieces with my jigsaw, but the mower was still kinda held up in the middle, under the deck, by some cross-pieces that I had no way to remove or cut. Finally I just grabbed the back of the mower and pulled, and it rolled off easy as pie. Forehead slap.

So what I learned was, riding mowers are not that heavy; I can lift up one end and pull or pivot it about anywhere I need.

Back