What did you do today?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The previous owner of our CR-V put Dynamat inside. They apparently had a massive subwoofer system in it (but took it out when it was repossessed). Guess they should have saved the $ to make their car payments. Or gotten some decent headlight bulbs. CR-V's default headlights are garbage. Reminds me I need to take it in to get the inspection sticker done.

Been watching How To videos on various things from how to make a tailor's mannequin to how to shrink or enlarge molds. Watched this very cool one that showed how to make a shrinking mold by mixing minieral spirits in and letting the mold sit for a few days to dry and shrink or soaking a normal sized mold in mineral spirits to make it expand. Guy has a dry sense of humor and was quite entertaining.

I don't like the loud vehicles. Never understood the appeal. But then, I don't like children walking on my lawn. I'm a curmudgeon.

Shoulder and arm have been bothering me a lot the past few days. Not sure why. I reached for something and got a shooting pain from my shoulder down to my elbow. I left my bedroom door open and much to Mewlatto's chagrin, Sir Hammington and Yasuke decided they had to come in. Yasuke was content to sit on a pillow (that I use as a mouse pad) off to the side, but Sir Hammington had to get right up in my face and cling to me. Biscuits got jealous so he had to climb up on my shoulder. Mewlatto was sitting on my leg. I couldn't really use my computer or get comfortable so I fed them and shut the door so I have some privacy-- until they climb through the hole.

Friday I brought my brother to help me remember what Mom wanted from the store and to pick up my RX. Stopped by and saw our friend before he had to run off to work. He managed to get his stove working for the most part (one of the burners won't heat up in the middle part) but they can still cook with it. He gave us his old computer chair (that I bought for him on a big sale). The mechanism to make it stay up when lifted broke and one of the arms is loose. But the base/wheels are solid. I bought my brother an identical chair but one of the parts that holds the wheel in broke. So we took the other chair for parts. He was trying to figure out how to take the wheel base off. Youtube videos said to use a mallet and pound on it. He was trying but the mallet was too big. I walked over to take a closer look and noticed there was a small clip holding it on. I said "Hey, can you get this clip off?" It was one little clip and a washer. He was able to remove it and put the "new" wheelbase on. He could have just put the whole chair in because his needs a new seat (padding wore down in his) and he keeps the chair at the lowest height setting so he doesn't need to be able to raise it. Friend also gave me a better vesa wall mount for my monitor. It can hold a 55" TV so it has higher weight capacity. No screws so I can use the screws from the cheap one I bought. Still need to clean up the mounting boards down at the workshop.

I sent my friend a link for mount that clips on to the back of the desk and he found out they have ones that can hold two monitors. So he's going to try that for his new smaller desk.

When my arm is cooperating I'm going to help my brother with more cleaning in his room so we can get his old desk out and get his new desk in. We didn't bring the other desk home yet (friend is giving us the older larger desk-- nothing wrong with it, but he wanted more space in the little room). It's in pieces on his porch right now.

It's raining pretty hard so internet might be going out soon.

Flyover, I'm glad you're feeling better.

Spicoli, my middle school was directly next to the high school and we shared a lunch room. I vaguely recall some of the boys having loud trucks. Always knew which ones were on the volunteer fire dept. Alarm would go off at the fire station down the street and we would hear truck wheels squealing as they pealed out of the parking lot. The school had special rules to excuse students that were firemen.

Moved a box turtle out of my drive earlier this afternoon. I was just out there and she came back and has dug a hole for eggs right behind my car. I don't know if eggs are deposited yet I think it takes a long time for the laying process.

Last edited:
Eddie, that is so cool! I hope the egg hole isn't somewhere she will get run over or that her eggs will be squished. I wonder if you can safely put the eggs in something to protect them once they are laid. I once rescued some mourning gecko eggs from the neighbor's kids in Guam. Punks kept coming over in to my yard and crushing the eggs on the tree. I was an endangered species. So I pulled as many of the eggs off as I could and brought them inside. Got one to hatch and I released it higher up on the tree outside (the geckos laid their eggs on the side of coconut trees). I also hatched some snail eggs before. Looked at the hatchlings under a microscope and their shells were translucent so I could see the heart beating. Wish I'd had a digital camera back then. My biology teacher would have loved it.
That was back before the internet too.

I went back out and she may have given up. I can't be sure but there are two empty holes. In gravel I think it might be impossible to do a search without damaging the eggs if any are there. I found the turtle about 20ft away and moved it to a spot with some soft soil but it moved on. I'll decide tomorrow if I need to alter my. parking for three months or not.

That is very sweet of you. I love box turtles. My dad found one that had been run over but was still alive. Shell was cracked and she had infection. Took her to the vet. He'd never treated a turtle before but they put her under, cleaned her wounds out, and used gorilla glue to glue her shell back together. The vet assistant had to hold the shell together for 20minutes. I think he gave her some antibiotics as well. Brought her back home and fed her figs, worms, grubs, strawberries. She wasn't hungry at first but she started eating and when she seemed to be doing well enough we released her in our yard. Didn't know back then that if you move them too far from their own habitat they try to get back to it. But, she wasn't too too far from where we found her.

One of the nice things about living in Virginia as a kid was that we were not too far from the Smithsonian. I loved going to the Natural History branch.

zannej, you should write novels for little girls old enough to read, say 10 or so, and picture books for little tiny kids about your cats and all their adventures. I have never seen someone talk about their animals so much.

We call those "checkbook rods" if produced in a commercial shop and the owners really know nothing about them/what's in them...

They knew everything about them. I was on the Football team with some of them. That was the other thing they knew.

It wasn't until I moved to Phoenix in 2003 that I first encountered the phenomenon of parents buying their kids cars. Blew my mind. If I went to my mom and asked for $5 she'd have laughed in my face and said to get a job. That's when I was 10. When I was 18 I finally saved up $400 from working to buy an old beater, drove the thing to death which wasn't far off anyway. I had to pay for my own gas and insurance too. I was a lazy, self-absorbed, argumentative kid, but I wasn't spoiled!

Woke up Saturday with a nice bout of chest pain and shortness of breath, so I downed a TSP of Cayenne in boiling water in case it was serious. I have issues like that occasionally with COPD, but this time it was an 8 or so on the scale compared to a normal 4.

I had intense infrequent gut pain for a few days before that with the runs, so I added it up and concluded I probably have an abundance of parasites in the guts.

Sunday was relatively calm until the night, with a repeat, although about a 6. I downed some Cayenne again and finally got to sleep.

This morning was more of the same, about a 6, so I took more Cayenne and blended a cup of Pumpkin Seeds with water and drank / ate it, followed by an Industrial strength Thermo Nuclear laxative, the Pharmacy version of Magnesium Citrate. The idea of the Pumpkin Seeds is they temporarily paralyze the parasites, who cannot hook into the intestines to prevent from being flushed by the laxative.

Since they lay insane amounts of eggs every day, it's going to be more than this one treatment. For those questioning the efficacy, I became a believer when I had a nice worm about two inches long presenting itself as a lump in my belly. I did said protocol and saw it in the toilet. (Along with thousands of his tiny friends)... Mexican water! (Actually street food in Iraq).

Now, after the laxative is pretty much done, I would put my gut pain at about a 2, with no shortness of breath or chest pain. Going forward, I just need to do routing monthly cleanses (not the laxative, just normal herbs and teas) and do a complete Colon / Liver / Gallbladder / Lymph / Glymph cleanse. I need to do all that with a practitioner though.

So, love you all, hope you're done eating for the week!

It wasn't until I moved to Phoenix in 2003 that I first encountered the phenomenon of parents buying their kids cars. Blew my mind. If I went to my mom and asked for $5 she'd have laughed in my face and said to get a job. That's when I was 10. When I was 18 I finally saved up $400 from working to buy an old beater, drove the thing to death which wasn't far off anyway. I had to pay for my own gas and insurance too. I was a lazy, self-absorbed, argumentative kid, but I wasn't spoiled!

Yep. I had a hand me down Audi 4000 that was no favor from my Brother, but it taught me some things about mechanics and patience. It was theft proof, because THAT was the targeted car. To start it, I had to hook up a wire from the dash to a wire that ran to the fuel pump if I remember correctly. Regardless, it wouldn't start without doing that.

It was actually a fun car, and I would find out it was pretty fast compared to the first gutless pig car I bought, a Ford Tempo.

Hindsight, I would have done everything I could to keep the Audi running and rewrite my history without the Tempo.

I probably have an abundance of parasites in the guts.
On top of just the diet, it sounds like you're getting the full paleo experience! All you need now is some leopards to run from and maybe a cave or a tree to sleep in and you'll be like a fully paleo person.

Haha, jokes aside I hope that clears up for you, sounds awful.

I'm mostly over this cold I caught from my kids, still a little stuffy-headed but otherwise able to function normally. Today after work I'm going to finally start building my little lean-to shed, or that's the plan.

On top of just the diet, it sounds like you're getting the full paleo experience! All you need now is some leopards to run from and maybe a cave or a tree to sleep in and you'll be like a fully paleo person.

Haha, jokes aside I hope that clears up for you, sounds awful.

I'm mostly over this cold I caught from my kids, still a little stuffy-headed but otherwise able to function normally. Today after work I'm going to finally start building my little lean-to shed, or that's the plan.

I tried to hang out in the tree, but the neighbors didn't like it. It's "technically" their tree because it's on their side of the fence, but more branches lean over to my side. I never thought of a cave though, the Deer would probably just stare at it so I could get a good shot in! Then what, though? I'm so used to modern stuff, I would have to go process the Deer inside, and the neighbors definitely wouldn't like any of that.

Seriously though, It's gut reset time that will probably clear up all my brain fog as well. Then it's full on Paleo, I'll never eat gut destroying bread or other useless food again. I know how "never" sounds, but it's much clearer after what I just went through.

As for your cold, good it's almost over, but your description and the length tells me you aren't a vitamin guy. I think I had Covid early on for a day, but besides that, I have had maybe one cold that lasted a day since 2000. Just a good Multivitamin and extra C+D3 every day. The most beneficial way to get vitamins would be through food, but the soils, even Organic, are completely depleted of nutrients thanks to our chemical destruction of the farmlands.

I think the heavy lifting at not getting sick has been accomplished by avoiding sick people, which is why these past two years, up until this past weekend, have been the longest I've ever gone without getting so much as a cold. My diet did not change pre- to post-pandemic, or even over the past 3-5 years, so that variable is eliminated.

Spicoli you reminded me, I need to remove some of the climbing wall handholds from my tree.

Lazy so I baked a couple of eggs in hashbrown cups for supper. I left room for a big piece of strawberry-raspberry cake that my DIL made me for FD.

1207201605-jpg.5666

Spicoli, that does not sound like fun-- with the gut troubles. I'm allergic to peppers so that would never work for me. I do need to take my vitamins. Been forgetting to take them the last few days.

I've always talked about my pets a LOT. LOL. Probably because I spend more time with them than I do with people. Mewlatto is happily curled up on my lap again.

My shoulder has been bugging me still and I've been having trouble sleeping. But then it rained all day and made me sleepy. Rain puts me out for some reason. But, I did get up in the middle of the night and scrub the s*** out of the toilet. I don't know how my brother gets toilets so dirty. Never had a toilet get like that until I shared a bathroom with him. I think it took about 20 minutes because I deep cleaned that thing.

I need to clean up more of the kitchen and wash the counters again.

I'm about out of frozen meals for Mom and my brother ate all the lunch meat so I'll need to make another trip to the grocery store soon.

Eddie, probably some sort of glitch with the forum.
I went to the grocery store and got more stuff to cook for mom. Also got a sewing measuring tape to get some measurements. I probably shouldn't have done the waist measurement after eating 5 chicken thighs and some rolls. LOL.
I was supposed to wear a bra for the measurements but I stopped wearing them quite awhile ago because they rub the skin and agitate some skin tags I have there. Anyway, only bra I could find was too small and I couldn't even get the straps over my shoulders without help. I really need to lose some weight because my gut sticks out almost as much as my bust. LOL.
Got mail and put groceries away. It was friggin' hot out so I didn't stay outside for too long. Been watching How To videos and then seeing spoilers for the Loki series.

Gut parasites, the runs, skin tags, obesity...this is my go-to forum when I'm feeling overly romantic about the human body and public health.

A couple days ago I sorted out all the shed pieces I had and what I still needed and reached out to the company about replacement parts but they haven't gotten back to me. I'm going to actually call them today. I have a feeling I'll end up fabricating more parts out of metal...

Zannej, I used to have to run to the store all the time when I lived by myself. When I moved in with my wife (then girlfriend) she got me in the habit of writing out all the meals for the week (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and then buying all the ingredients for those, plus snacks and whatever else we need and are out of. Since then, impromptu grocery store runs are eliminated. Saves a lot of time and gas. I recommend it.

Last edited:
Back